Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Thorin Pic
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 54 (1968 views)
Shortcut
New Thorin Pic Can't Post

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/from-kili.png

Many thanks to our dwarf Spy, Dark Jackal Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 7:11pm

Post #2 of 54 (740 views)
Shortcut
Now there's a Dwarf who eats his greens ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 7:35pm

Post #3 of 54 (671 views)
Shortcut
Aye [In reply to] Can't Post

I already see the perfumme commercial with RA...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:43pm

Post #4 of 54 (593 views)
Shortcut
He looks great [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a Dwarf Lord, long beard or no.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2012, 8:45pm

Post #5 of 54 (608 views)
Shortcut
Look at the detail on the leather. [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely gorgeous outfit.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:47pm

Post #6 of 54 (561 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I think Ann Maskrey has outdone her predecessor here.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 17 2012, 9:02pm

Post #7 of 54 (592 views)
Shortcut
I've made it clickable [In reply to] Can't Post

if you don't mind, Lusitano:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/from-kili.png

Great pic! Thanks a lot, Lusitano and DJ. In a brief interview in Us Magazine a couple of days ago, RA said that he had a prosthetic forehead and nose which took more than two and a half hours in make-up and I think that's what gives him the dwarven look - but it's not as cartoonish as some of the others so that I can believe in him.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 17 2012, 9:08pm

Post #8 of 54 (539 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

It's mostly to do with fabric choice, I think. I was never a fan of all the velvet Ngila Dickson used. Even with all the great detail in the LOTR costumes, some of them looked like Halloween costumes.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 9:09pm

Post #9 of 54 (544 views)
Shortcut
I think the velvet had a lot to do with it [In reply to] Can't Post

Made a number of the costumes look rather cheap, IMO.

Maskrey has an excellent eye for fabrics, I think.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:11pm

Post #10 of 54 (617 views)
Shortcut
Here's another picture of RA as Thorin I haven't seen before... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was searching for a closer shot of his belt which I saw recently (but can't remember where!) - I believe it has a chunk of quartz in it - but nyway, stumbled across this shot in which Thorin looks older and more world-weary:

http://gratianads90.files.wordpress.com/...dec2111ranetcrop.jpg

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 17 2012, 9:15pm

Post #11 of 54 (520 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly right [In reply to] Can't Post

"Cheap" is the right word, unfortunately. I don't mean to dismiss Dickson's efforts; some of her work was great and it certainly wasn't cheap to make all those costumes. But just as much of it didn't look the greatest on camera. It actually makes Ann Maskrey's work all the more impressive that she has to take the high definition factor into consideration.

Now, here's hoping for a decent documentary on Maskrey's work for the DVD!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:17pm

Post #12 of 54 (528 views)
Shortcut
Not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for that!

Really, i did not know that it took that long for his look...

No, ots more of a noble, warrior, look.. Nori is more of a dwarf of the streets, with a shady past and connections, and suspicious, bully looking hairdoo

Wink

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 17 2012, 9:20pm

Post #13 of 54 (528 views)
Shortcut
I think that's an early shot, Eleniel, [In reply to] Can't Post

whilst they were still messing around with the Thorin "look". Since then, they have made his moustache shorter since RA decided to grow his own and have made his hair darker and his nose less hooked.

The costume looks like the one from the backstage shot where he has the oakenshield on his arm and it was assumed he was shooting an Azanulbizar scene. If so, he should be looking younger, not older.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:26pm

Post #14 of 54 (557 views)
Shortcut
CHEAP??? [In reply to] Can't Post

your havin a laugh! Those velvet costumes were perfection. NO WAY did they look cheap. Really! Mad

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Nov 17 2012, 9:27pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 17 2012, 9:31pm

Post #15 of 54 (494 views)
Shortcut
I think you meant to reply [In reply to] Can't Post

to someone other than Lusitano. :D

What was it that you particularly liked about Ngila's costumes, Ef? Personally, I loved the weight of them - how they would hang off the women's shoulders and drape beautifully.

Having said that, my favourite costumes from LOTR were Boromir's and Gimli's - the details told their own stories of the men who wore them.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 17 2012, 9:31pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:42pm

Post #16 of 54 (481 views)
Shortcut
Barking [In reply to] Can't Post

at the wrong tree elenor Shocked Wink

On cheapness...not at all. Love the costumes in Lotr. In every way.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 9:47pm

Post #17 of 54 (474 views)
Shortcut
Looks a lot older (more worn out) than what we've seen before. [In reply to] Can't Post

They haven't filmed his death scene yet, so I wonder if this is very late on in the story? Perhaps in the lead up to the battle?

I can't imagine it's pre-Quest, but I could be wrong.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 17 2012, 10:04pm

Post #18 of 54 (467 views)
Shortcut
I think they've changed their minds so much [In reply to] Can't Post

about how Thorin should look - they've said that his image has been the most difficult to get right - that we can't tell much from these shots we saw in the early vlogs because I don't see them using them in the film any more. I don't think the look in that second pic is the one we shall finish up with. The look in Lusitano's picture seems to be the favoured one.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 10:06pm

Post #19 of 54 (449 views)
Shortcut
sorry Lusitano didnt mean to [In reply to] Can't Post

blast you will the Nucleargaladriel! Blush my apologies.

But yeah Ngila is beyond reproach IMO, she nailed it. The womens costumes were Pre-Raphaelite medieval inspired dream gowns, they looked straight out of a Waterhouse painting, and the fabrics were rich and sumptuous. The mens costumes were detailed marvelously too. I love the tiny details of Striders Ranger costume, the bandages on his fingers and the weather stained surcoat. I also found Elronds kimono style gowns an interesting idea. I am a bit of a costume nerd, so anyone thinking the LOTR velvets looked cheap is just a bit mind boggling to me, cos I know good stuff when I see it and Halloween it was not.
Crazy

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 10:08pm

Post #20 of 54 (462 views)
Shortcut
A shame [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the look of his nose there, and the seemingly grayer hair. Looks a bit more dwarvish than the final design.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:09pm

Post #21 of 54 (440 views)
Shortcut
I got scared [In reply to] Can't Post

that scene when galadriel goes bazooka on frodo is scary and for a moement i thought she was risen again!Wink

Agreed, of all the faults lotr had, costume department, is not one of them.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 10:11pm

Post #22 of 54 (426 views)
Shortcut
sorry Lusitano [In reply to] Can't Post

my mistake, my apologies to you. Blush

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 10:11pm

Post #23 of 54 (473 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and this has had a knock on effect on Kili in particular... [In reply to] Can't Post

Making RA's Thorin look younger has meant that Aiden Turner has had to look almost adolescent to be believable as Thorin's nephew! that's probably the main reason why he couldn't keep his own fuller beard and hair...

Still doesn't explain why he couldn't have a few braids in his hair, though! Frown

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:13pm

Post #24 of 54 (416 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

no trouble dear! I enjoy a bit of excitement Sly

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 10:14pm

Post #25 of 54 (468 views)
Shortcut
On noes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I touched a nerve! Smile

I didn't say they all looked cheap. But some of the velvety ones really did look like some of the faux-Pre-Raphaelite stuff you used to see at Ren Fairs and some hippy communes in the 1970s.

But that's just one man's opinion! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.