Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warners has put up TH for Oscar consideration in 16 categories...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 5:56am

Post #1 of 22 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Warners has put up TH for Oscar consideration in 16 categories... Can't Post

Just saw this pointed out on IMDB...On the official Warner Bros. site, the studio suggests TH for consideration in the following Academy Award categories:

-Best Picture
-Best Director
-Best Adapted Screenplay
-Best Actor: Martin Freeman (apparently they're not concerned at all Tongue)
-Best Supporting Actor: Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis
-Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
-Best Cinematography
-Best Art Direction
-Best Film Editing
-Best Costume Design
-Best Make-up
-Best Sound Mixing
-Best Sound Editing
-Best Visual Effects
-Best Original Score
-Best Original Song

http://warnerbros2012.warnerbros.com/film.php?film=thehobbit#

(look under the "For Your Consideration" tab)

Whatever the actuality, WB certainly has faith the film will have LotR-comparable cinematic importance/impact. Note that they're yet to be nominations yet, but they must feel the film is strong across the board,

I hope Ian gets his long-deserved award for playing Gandalf this time around. BTW, as I recall, aren't mo-cap performances not recognized by the Academy? I suppose they're (rightly) trying to change that for Andy...Fox launched a similar campaign for Serkis' role in the last Apes film.

It seems also that TH will have some really depth/gravity, at least enough to warrant consideration for the Oscars. However, "Bridesmaids" was nominated for a number of categories last year if I'm not mistaken...EvilAngelicWinkTongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 16 2012, 5:59am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 16 2012, 5:58am

Post #2 of 22 (610 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of curiosity, what does this mean?

-Best Actor: Martin Freeman (apparently they're not concerned at all Tongue)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 6:06am

Post #3 of 22 (571 views)
Shortcut
I was referring to my reservations about which I've posted before. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 16 2012, 6:12am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 16 2012, 6:23am

Post #4 of 22 (579 views)
Shortcut
Got it. Another question [In reply to] Can't Post

How often do studios offer up really bad films for this many Oscar nominations?

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Nov 16 2012, 7:37am

Post #5 of 22 (531 views)
Shortcut
Every year... [In reply to] Can't Post

..they usually go on to win! Tongue

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 7:38am

Post #6 of 22 (519 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot [In reply to] Can't Post

Studios do that even for movies you wouldn't think have any chance at the Oscars. For instance, WB put up for your considerations ads for Sherlock Holmes, or Disney for Alice in Wonderland, including best film and director.

Btw, old news. Tongue

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 16 2012, 7:41am

Post #7 of 22 (507 views)
Shortcut
And another Q. How often do studios put up films before they've been released. [In reply to] Can't Post

Strikes me as a bit premature.
Or is just to do with the Oscars' timetable?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 16 2012, 7:58am

Post #8 of 22 (492 views)
Shortcut
Cate Blanchett FTW! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 16 2012, 12:52pm

Post #9 of 22 (427 views)
Shortcut
Already posted ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted it alreasy a couple of days ago ;-)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 4:37pm

Post #10 of 22 (373 views)
Shortcut
I just hope that the Neil Finn song isn't disqualified... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a real shame if Finn's "Song of Lonely Mountain" was disquallified as being too derivative of Tolkien/Shore's "Misty Mountains" song. There were only three numbers in the final running for "Best Original Song" last year.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2012, 4:51pm

Post #11 of 22 (371 views)
Shortcut
Oh, The Innocence [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Whatever the actuality, WB certainly has faith the film will have LotR-comparable cinematic importance/impact. Note that they're yet to be nominations yet, but they must feel the film is strong across the board

Yeah, I'm sure a movie studio would never be so cynical as to use this as a manipulative marketing ploy before it has even been seen.

:rolleyes:

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 6:04pm

Post #12 of 22 (328 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, why don't you do some research? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 6:04pm

Post #13 of 22 (328 views)
Shortcut
Ah...didn't see the previous post. Could a mod delete this thread then, please? Thanks.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 16 2012, 7:47pm

Post #14 of 22 (309 views)
Shortcut
The Misty Mountain song is not Shore's [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Plan 9's, actually. Shore borrowed the melody to use in his score.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 16 2012, 7:57pm

Post #15 of 22 (298 views)
Shortcut
Ironic then... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the melody has become a major theme in the film.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 8:02pm

Post #16 of 22 (298 views)
Shortcut
Also strange that Finn and Shore didn't collaborate on the end titles song... [In reply to] Can't Post

As was the case with LotR. Given that two of the singers for the trilogy's songs were better known/more active, I don't think it's a matter if Finn's saying "I'll only do it if I can write it all by myself"...but why is it then, I wonder? Weird to have a part of the score with no HS involvement, IMO.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 16 2012, 9:48pm

Post #17 of 22 (276 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams would be in a better position to comment on this [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would guess that Howard Shore recognized a good theme and went with it. The symbolism of it being connected with the poem, Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold, had to help as well.

In my opinion, from what I've heard so far, Shore's use of it is masterful. Some of the most stirring parts of the soundtrack.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 16 2012, 11:10pm

Post #18 of 22 (266 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

My life is demanding that I do other things that are less important. Smile

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2012, 11:34pm

Post #19 of 22 (251 views)
Shortcut
I think I'd came off as a tad overly-dismissive... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean there, a genuine "I'm not sure, why don't you look into how many bad films are put forth for consideration", but looking at my comment it didn't come off as such.

Not the best day for board relations on ToRN, is it? AngelicWink

I assume many poor or mediocre films are hawked by the studio, but I've not heard of one being so a month before release.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 16 2012, 11:48pm

Post #20 of 22 (257 views)
Shortcut
WB is awfully confident of a film no one's seen [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't decide if that's a good or bad sign.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 16 2012, 11:56pm

Post #21 of 22 (264 views)
Shortcut
I am guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the higher ups there have seen a near-final cut, though I can't be sure of that...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 12:01am

Post #22 of 22 (326 views)
Shortcut
Prophecy [In reply to] Can't Post

Politicians and Hollywood execs like to speak of things they wish were true as if they were actually true to convince the population into making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.