Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
problems finding 2D showings of the hobbit in the UK

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 10:30pm

Post #1 of 17 (524 views)
Shortcut
problems finding 2D showings of the hobbit in the UK Can't Post

I have just gone to try and book my hobbit tickets and I cant find any 2d showings. I will be seeing it in Manchester and have just looked at at both Cineworld and VUE and they only have 3D showings. I then went and looked to see what it was like in other parts of the UK and it seems to be the same. Am I missing something? are 2d showings going to be added later perhaps? If anyone has any information that might help it would be much appreciated.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2012, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 17 (300 views)
Shortcut
There's always a 2D option [In reply to] Can't Post

And they will be listed separately on the Vue/Odeon/Cineworld etc websites.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2012, 10:35pm

Post #3 of 17 (277 views)
Shortcut
Just tried the Odeon in Manchester [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of 2D showings there?

LR

talkingmongoose
The Shire

Nov 14 2012, 10:39pm

Post #4 of 17 (272 views)
Shortcut
2D [In reply to] Can't Post

I also live in Manchester - small world.

I think that we only have 3D showings at the moment simply because it's early days. My cinema only has about four showings of the film on release day, which is abnormally low. As the we get closer to the 13th, the cinemas will put on more shows (think how many showings a day Skyfall has). The pre-bookings are in 3D because that's the primary format for the film. Just wait, you'll get to see The Hobbit in glorious full colour and without having headaches soon enough.

That's what I think anyway, for what it's worth.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 10:42pm

Post #5 of 17 (267 views)
Shortcut
How is that a problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

Live a little and go and see the 3D version as it was intended to be seen.Wink

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Nov 14 2012, 10:42pm)

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 10:42pm

Post #6 of 17 (264 views)
Shortcut
Its not bringing any showings up though [In reply to] Can't Post

Ordinarily this is the case but on Vue when I select 2D it says "Sorry, this version of the film is not currently available at your selected cinema, however check below for the 3D version". The only 2d showings for VUE are at in Birmingham.
Similarly when I look on Cineworlds website and select 2d it doesnt bring any showtimes up.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 10:45pm

Post #7 of 17 (257 views)
Shortcut
Its a problem if you dont like 3d [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad that there is multiple options to go and see the film but one shouldn't be forced to watch a film in a format they don't like (which I don't), especially as its also more expensive!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 10:54pm

Post #8 of 17 (248 views)
Shortcut
Just think about... [In reply to] Can't Post

..all those starving actors that need your support to live a celebrity lifestyle. What will they do without you? How can you dislike what no one has ever seen? Nobody is forcing you, but 48 FPS 3D is brand new, why not give it a try? Nothing in the past should have come even close. I hope and believe it will be worth the extra price of admission.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 17 (228 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

to be honest I thought the same, but want to make sure I can tickets so thought it was worth enquiring. Alas I shall wait a little longer!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 10:57pm

Post #10 of 17 (227 views)
Shortcut
hey I am Mancunian too, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I dont live in England now. small world.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 11:01pm

Post #11 of 17 (225 views)
Shortcut
It wont be in 48FPS [In reply to] Can't Post

I do fully intend on watching the hobbit in 3d at some point to give it a try but I dont want anything to effect my first viewing. Ive seen plenty of 3d films in the past and I simply dont like the format. I find it too dark, too blurry and in no way superior to 2d, thats just my tastes. It will be interesting to see if The hobbit is any different. As for 48FPS there are only a very few cinemas in the UK projecting at that speed and Manchester isn't one of them as far as I know.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 11:03pm

Post #12 of 17 (213 views)
Shortcut
Small world indeed ; ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2012, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 17 (211 views)
Shortcut
I'm not on commission but the Odeon is also doing 48fps in Manchester. [In reply to] Can't Post

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 11:41pm

Post #14 of 17 (204 views)
Shortcut
Haha your right [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive just checked too and seen. Even so I think it will still be 2d 24fps for me on first viewing and then I will explore the other options. Lets face it I will probably end up seeing it about 20 times ; )

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 15 2012, 2:00am

Post #15 of 17 (169 views)
Shortcut
It's probably just Vue [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a thread a couple of days ago, and someone else said that tickets at their Vue had only just gone up for sale.

I'd contact the cinema directly to find out more.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Misto
Lorien

Nov 15 2012, 11:53am

Post #16 of 17 (151 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that was really not a particularly smart answer.

In Reply To
Live a little and go and see the 3D version as it was intended to be seen.Wink

I know a lot of people who do have some problem with vision or other that will make 3D difficult to watch.
Personally, even though my vision is just fine, there is no way in hell I'd sit through a three-hour-production with these "glasses of evil" on my nose. Only recently, I stumbled into a movie I wanted to see without realising it would be 3D. I thought I could stand it for two hours - after one I was annoyed beyond belief. For me, the standard glasses tend to be too tight at the ears and there are cheaper ways to get a headache than Hobbit-tickets! Also, the light of the emergency exit reflected in the corner of one of the glasses - great fun... NOT!

That being said I'd like to add that smaller local theatres are more likely to run in 2D than the big complex-cinemas. I also find them more enjoyable, but that's just my preference.Wink

(This post was edited by Misto on Nov 15 2012, 11:54am)

Turambar
Bree

Nov 16 2012, 4:50pm

Post #17 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
Me [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that might have been me you are referring to ha. My local Vue cinema in Hull had tickets up for the 3D version last Saturday if I remember rightly. I messaged Vue on Facebook this Monday just passed asking about 2D tickets, and they said they would be available to book "shortly". That was 4 days ago, and there's been no change since on the website.

I imagined there would be some sort of change before the weekend at the earliest, because in all fairness I see Vue as one of the best cinema chains there is in the UK. For them to not have tickets for both versions available LESS than 4 weeks until it is due to be released is unacceptable to be quite honest. They must realise the sheer magnitude of this release, especially after how well the LoTR trilogy did.

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.