Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TV Spot 6!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 10:04pm

Post #76 of 142 (926 views)
Shortcut
I'm really surprised that it's coming off this way to some... [In reply to] Can't Post

Freeman sounds wonderful here. It seems like Bilbo's not quite comfortable addressing the dwarves yet, so there's some uncertainty, but otherwise it does sound sincere to me. I especially like the delivery of "I know you doubt me", and the hint of Bilbo taking a stronger role in the group.

(This post was edited by thomasofrohan on Nov 14 2012, 10:07pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 10:09pm

Post #77 of 142 (908 views)
Shortcut
Groovy! Start drawing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 14 2012, 10:12pm

Post #78 of 142 (906 views)
Shortcut
Glad someone else feels like that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

It just feels clunky to me...perhaps it's the dialogue as much as Freeman's delivery. The words may be in the spirit of Tolkien to some, but it didn't feel like Tolkien's phrasing would to me - hence the contemporary feel others have noted.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2012, 10:23pm

Post #79 of 142 (886 views)
Shortcut
Can anyone identify the track of the music in this spot? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's great ... And it's enough to tempt me in to listening to the 30s preview of it.Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 10:29pm

Post #80 of 142 (866 views)
Shortcut
Don't listen, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a test. You. Must. Resist.

It was lovely music, though. Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 10:37pm

Post #81 of 142 (851 views)
Shortcut
Wood is excellent in Everything is Illuminated [In reply to] Can't Post

And a number of other films.

I blame his acting as Frodo on Peter Jackson, and how they wrote his character.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 14 2012, 10:37pm

Post #82 of 142 (839 views)
Shortcut
It's just too hard not to though! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 10:39pm

Post #83 of 142 (835 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the first real glimpse into the film. A spot based on just one scene, just awesome. Gee Peter, we are all going to go see the film already...enough spots, just bring on the film already. -And the extended version afterward. Smile

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 10:48pm

Post #84 of 142 (834 views)
Shortcut
I just realized [In reply to] Can't Post

That this is the first time we have gotten a good sense of almost an entire scene. The tone of it was just right, IMO, and bodes well for the quality of at least the ending.

As long as Thorin doesn't fake die, that is...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 10:53pm

Post #85 of 142 (838 views)
Shortcut
Its good to see [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman is acting in an understated rather than obviously comic way. I like it.

Marionette
Rohan

Nov 14 2012, 11:03pm

Post #86 of 142 (813 views)
Shortcut
The best [In reply to] Can't Post

This one like it better!!

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 11:04pm

Post #87 of 142 (812 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps that was the most reassuring aspect of this TV Spot.

Vangalad
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 11:15pm

Post #88 of 142 (812 views)
Shortcut
Martin is balancing the emotional moment here [In reply to] Can't Post

and signifies Bilbo's spirit, that is indeed a win.

The interactions between Thorin and Bilbo will be key moments for these movies and the development of the characters leading to the big showdown.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 11:22pm

Post #89 of 142 (856 views)
Shortcut
Quick Hijack... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone else notice the difference between Thorin's real and fake beards? Mabe he'll get a shave?Wink
I like the real Armitage beard better, and am glad they changed it, but I hope they don't jump back and forth between the two. I always cringe when I see Viggo's fake beard in the extended cut.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 11:33pm

Post #90 of 142 (813 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

How bad the fake beards are compared to the real thing.

My guess is that the decision to use yak hair, instead of human hair, for most of the dwarves is part of the problem. The other part is wig construction, which IMO, is less successful this time around than in LOTR.

Either that, or 4K is really exposing all the seams.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 11:39pm

Post #91 of 142 (777 views)
Shortcut
I also agree, although less so on subsequent viewings [In reply to] Can't Post

The lines that I particularly disliked were "you don't have one. It was taken from you." It almost seemed to have a taunting quality to it. But I think it is more in the clunky editing than anything else. I suspect that in the film, it will be very good.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 11:45pm

Post #92 of 142 (783 views)
Shortcut
I believe the yak hair is for budget reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

As mentioned in some interview (I think it was one with Peter King?) one wig and a "set" of beard can cost up to $10000.

I agree the real hair looks better. Dean O'Gorman grew out his (little) facial hair minus the mustache, and Aidan Turner obviously only has stubble.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 14 2012, 11:48pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 11:48pm

Post #93 of 142 (769 views)
Shortcut
very true [In reply to] Can't Post

the wigs are not as natural looking this time. I noticed that the wig for the Elven woman we saw a side view of, I think from a book, was very obvious round the hairline. Galadriels wig is a huge disappointment for me this time, it seems lacking in volume and substance round her face, theres too little of it, and in one of the photos again from a book where she is swirling, it looks wonky on her head. The contrast between LOTR and the Hobbit as regards wigs for Galadriel is IMO not good. and as for the star hair of Nori, well I always really disliked it.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 11:54pm

Post #94 of 142 (787 views)
Shortcut
I remember an interview with Armitage... [In reply to] Can't Post

...where he said that between Block 1 and 2 he grew his beard because the prosthetics limited his acting. I've been worried ever since I heard him say that, fearing I would notice the difference between the two if they both made the final cut. Maybe he does get a shave or his hair gets singed during the Troll fight. (fingers crossed)

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 15 2012, 12:26am

Post #95 of 142 (727 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one who loves starhead Nori? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can definitely see why people think the weird dwarf designs are OTT, but I think they're the very reason we're able to distinguish them all even before seeing the film. Different colored cloaks wouldn't have cut it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 1:13am

Post #96 of 142 (678 views)
Shortcut
You must be strong! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do it! Only one month left Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 1:15am

Post #97 of 142 (707 views)
Shortcut
Well I didn't before! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink But now I do. That really is pretty bad. The natural one looks infinitely better. Now I must purge my mind of all fake beards.

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 2:49am

Post #98 of 142 (643 views)
Shortcut
Well, I am [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not heard a note of the soundtrack other than "Lonely Mountain", and I have not seen a single TV spot. Nor do I intend to do either the whole month. I must admit though, while it's easy in itself to do, it's getting painful for me not to be able to join in these wonderful discussions. *SIGH*

The plus side, though, is that you know darned well the essays and insighful comments I'll be typing on Dec 16th (I'll have seen it twice by then:)

In the meantime, I am re-reading Les Miserables to keep myself away from all of this. Yep, the whole enchilada (see the OT Reading thread:)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 4:33am

Post #99 of 142 (614 views)
Shortcut
So the only two design options were [In reply to] Can't Post

A star head, or a different color cloak? Smile

The reality is that there are nearly an infinite number of design choices for differentiating the dwarves. They simply went with one of those options, and lots of people find it a bit bizarre.

Though I don't mind Nori so much. Kili is the only one who bothers me.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 15 2012, 5:16am

Post #100 of 142 (607 views)
Shortcut
You've got more fortitude than most! [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard only a tiny bit of the soundtrack, but I've eaten up all the tv spots! I don't know how you are able to keep away from them!

I look forward to you rejoining these discussions on the 16th!

Oh and I can't believe you're reading the whole Les Mis. I've only looked it up on wikipedia (after seeing the trailer) and it sounds absolutely daunting!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.