First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2012, 3:31pm

Post #1 of 27 (433 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2012, 3:41pm

Post #2 of 27 (284 views)
Shortcut
Skyfall [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was great, and I'll see it again. Lots of gun battles, explosions and car chases -- Craig is a great Bond, Bardem is really creepy, and as always, Judi Dench is terrific.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 27 (303 views)
Shortcut
Seven, Mona Lisa Smile and Almost Famous [In reply to] Can't Post

Seven - Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. I had forgotten how riveting this movie was. Kevin Spacey plays his role masterfully. A bad feeling washed over me watching that van approach the group in the desert, losing very little effect from my first viewing.

Mona Lisa Smile. Mrs. D swears I had seen this, but I don't recall a bit of it. A well written story and adequate ensemble cast. Some of these young ladies were just plain vicious. The development of Kirsten Dunst's character was probably the best part of the movie, along with Julia Roberts' steadfast deviation from the class syllabus.

Almost Famous. Lots of ground covered in this movie and just like Seven, I hadn't seen it in years. Overall, a very entertaining movie. Watching Cameron Crowe come of age through the lens of this movie was painful, annoying and exciting at times. Loved the band. Smile Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 27 (288 views)
Shortcut
Wreck-it Ralph [In reply to] Can't Post

A whole lot of fun even for this non-gamer. Inspired voice casting all the way around. Would never have guessed that was Alan Tudyk voicing the Candy King - it's driving me crazy trying to remember who it was who actually talked just like that.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 2:09am

Post #5 of 27 (275 views)
Shortcut
Almost Famous - great movie [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all good and has an especially moving ending, but Frances McDormand (sp?), whose part is fairly small, almost steals the show. I love when she declares in a panic to her class that "my son has been kidnapped by rock stars!" Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 2:26am

Post #6 of 27 (254 views)
Shortcut
British TV show Doc Martin [In reply to] Can't Post

It's really cute and is filmed on location on the Cornish Coast (I think) so the scenery is beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Northern Exposure in that it's about a big city doctor who is now practicing in a small, out of the way village full of eccentric characters.

It's been on PBS in a time slot (Thursday @ 9:00 Central) that is usually filled by the local affiliates so I don't know if it's on nation-wide on PBS, but I'm sure it has been on (or will be on ) at some time or other.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 2:44am

Post #7 of 27 (269 views)
Shortcut
tv on dvd [In reply to] Can't Post

We're making our way through season 3 of Warehouse 13. Enjoyable, harmless fun that has plenty of geek moments.

I've also been pecking away at my umpteenth time through Firefly. What can I say. It's like hot chocolate and a peanut butter sandwich. Comfort food that satisfies.

I guess there was some Firefly reunion on tv last night?
http://science.discovery.com/tv/firefly/
http://popwatch.ew.com/...reunion-joss-whedon/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 13 2012, 2:49am)

Patty
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 4:37am

Post #8 of 27 (279 views)
Shortcut
British TV: Foyle's War [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent tv series about a middle-age detective solving crimes on the homefront during WWII.

Permanent address: Into the West

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 4:47am

Post #9 of 27 (252 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the first Bond movie I ever saw. I know -- where have I been? Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot, but it got a bit long. I confess I dozed off for a few minutes during the gun battle at the house. I thought it was just me, but my dad did the same thing when he and mom saw Skyfall the next day! I do want to go back and see some of the old 007 films now, though.

Where's Frodo?

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 13 2012, 5:06am

Post #10 of 27 (290 views)
Shortcut
*Spoilers* in this post: Skyfall and the (very) last episode of UpstairsDownstairs [In reply to] Can't Post

*Spoilers* Skyfall was VERY good. Daniel Craig was excellent, as always, as was Judi Dench. Bardem plays a good nutjob (he's had plenty of practice), but what surprised me was Ralph Fiennes. His character was very well drawn and he was spot-on in his performance. I look forward to seeing him in the future. His addition makes up for losing Judi in the franchise. Judi's M was almost too much like Bond herself--a little too much ego, a little too stubborn. Fiennes' M promises to be more steady and pragmatic, a good counterpoint to Bond's occasional loose cannon.

On a sadder note, I saw the last episode of UpstairsDownstairs last night. No more episodes. EVER. Frown WWII has started and my favorites characters will never make it to America now that they did not renew the series. I hate it when a series ends with loose ties. I liked just about every character in this series and wanted to see more episodes, but apparently no one in Britain did. WAAHH!! However, IMO, Downton Abbey fans should be happy. There is no end in sight for that, forgive me, crappy series. Crazy Oh well, at least now I have no excuse not to drag my butt down to the basement to treadmill on Sunday evenings.

"We named the monkey Jack."

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 5:30am

Post #11 of 27 (248 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the mother too! Great movie.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 5:35am

Post #12 of 27 (292 views)
Shortcut
I love Doc Martin // [In reply to] Can't Post

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 11:38am

Post #13 of 27 (300 views)
Shortcut
Starling, I forgot to mention one more: Seabiscuit. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was movie weekend at the Delrond house. Laugh

Seabiscuit was, as you suggested, better than Secretariat. Toby Maguire handled his character quite well; the rest of the cast put in performances I would expect, from Jeff Bridges to Chris Cooper. It had its ups and downs, and since I wasn't fully aware of the story, it came as quite entertaining. I still like Secretariat, but for different reasons. Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 1:58pm

Post #14 of 27 (261 views)
Shortcut
Heavenly Creatures and Spirited Away [In reply to] Can't Post

Both utterly brilliant.

Heavenly Creatures-disturbing, gripping, funny and technically impressive, despite my gripes with PJ's attitiude to source material, I don't find at all hard to concede He's a talented filmaker.

Spirited Away-A little long and uneven, but as ever with Studio Ghibli an imagininative, quality production.

Saw Skyfall last week, loved it.

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 2:50pm

Post #15 of 27 (258 views)
Shortcut
not having seen Heavenly Creatures.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never realized till last week that the woman who played Rose (Melanie Lynskey) on Two and Half Men (and had a role in a short lived tv series called 'Drive') was one of the stars of that movie and was from NZ!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 5:00pm

Post #16 of 27 (236 views)
Shortcut
White Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a little early, but I couldn't resist. I'm sure I'll watch it a few more times before the holidays are over Tongue

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 11:06pm

Post #17 of 27 (253 views)
Shortcut
my dad was a huge Bing Crosby fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the movie, White Christmas, was the only movie our family ever went to the theaters to see. We had dinner at Mom's Cafe afterwards... and we never ate out.

So White Christmas holds great memories for me.

We also had a lot of Bing Crosby Christmas music in the house. My dad wanted my sister and I to learn the harmony parts for the Andrews Sisters on Silver Bells. uh... yeah. neither of us had a clue how to do harmony!

Mele Kalikimaka

;-)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 11:22pm

Post #18 of 27 (240 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've ever listened to any Bing Crosby music. I am looking for a new Christmas CD for this year, though, my other's are getting a little stale, I think. Does he have any Christmas CDs?

White Christmas is definitely my favorite Christmas movie. I can't imagine a Christmas without it. I'm thinking I may have to cave and buy it on blu-ray this year. Another of his movies that I love is Holiday Inn with Fred Astaire. Simply wonderful. Not strictly a Christmas movie, but I usually end up watching it in conjunction with White Christmas.

It definitely sounds like the movie has left you with wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Nov 13 2012, 11:23pm)

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 12:03am

Post #19 of 27 (241 views)
Shortcut
A movie theater close to us plays White Christmas every year [In reply to] Can't Post

They usually run it for four consecutive nights over a weekend leading up to Christmas. This year they're playing It's A Wonderful Life, too. We saw White Christmas a few years back in a crowded house, young and old alike in the audience, and were pleased at the response among the younger set. The audience even applauded after the big dress rehearsal number for "Mandy" (which is a little weird, actually--it's a not a live performance), but they were clearly taken with it.
But I agree with your dad. Silver Bells has been one of my favorite holiday songs since childhood. Some of my favorite holiday memories are the musical bits of holiday movies and television shows that WGN in Chicago used to air between programs during the holidays. I know they just used the songs as fillers, but I enjoyed watching Judy Garland sing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from Meet Me In St. Louis, Bing Crosby singing Happy Holidays from Holiday Inn, and Bob Hope singing Silver Bells from The Lemon Drop Kid. It was a staple every year at Christmas.

(This post was edited by wendy woo on Nov 14 2012, 12:11am)

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 14 2012, 12:10am

Post #20 of 27 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he has a few Christmas albums available, even one featuring the Andrews Sisters [In reply to] Can't Post

Check Amazon, they have several albums and individual songs are available for download on iTunes.

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Nov 14 2012, 3:53am

Post #21 of 27 (218 views)
Shortcut
The Amazing Spider-Man [In reply to] Can't Post

Overall had a lot more realistic feel to it than the original film from 10 years ago, particularly in its setup of the character, his life and motivations. When it came to scenes with him fighting the giant lizard guy though I was reminded that this was indeed a comic book movie. Also the lizard guy's face reminded me somehow of the alien from Super 8.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2012, 4:13am

Post #22 of 27 (224 views)
Shortcut
Skyfall (possible spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

We see a fragile, tender side of Bond in this one, even more so than when his girlfriend died. Lots of old school gadgetry and improvisation. Q is back but is more of a computer geek than his predecessors... Moneypenny is back, intelligent, smokin' hot, and with a great little inside story between her and Bond.

Even Roger Moore is smitten with Craig's Bond.

As I said to my friend recently, my only complaint is they could have spent more time in Macau. I was reading today over at Empire that according to the writers, Bond was supposed to be in China a little longer, his time there a lot more complicated.

(It is a rare movie these days that doesn't feel like it's missing about 20 minutes of running length. The studios probably have a formula: automatically demand that 20 minutes be cut, regardless of what the director hands in.)

I rate this one a must see, in spite of the buzz. It's actually that good.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 14 2012, 8:03am

Post #23 of 27 (229 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you enjoyed Seabiscuit [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I recommend 'Buck' to you? I can't remember.
I am assuming you have seen Coppola's wonderful film adaptation of The Black Stallion.

Not that I am obsessed with horses or anything...

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:57pm

Post #24 of 27 (206 views)
Shortcut
Fun movie, wasn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

We went with a group of adults and kids, and everyone liked it too. Most of the adults picked up on the 'classic' game references and the kids just liked the movie regardless. I thought the scenes were so creative - we were trying to catch all the details, like the safety lollipops for door handles, the car steering wheel made out of a hard pretzel....could spend a lot of time just going through those all over again.

I know what you mean about King Candy's voice - I couldn't place it either. I'm thinking now it's kind of a combination of previous voices. A little Mad Hatter from Disney's Alice in Wonderland, and something a bit like some of Phil Silver's goofier deliveries. Maybe some others thrown in there too.

It was a really enjoyable movie all around.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 9:50pm

Post #25 of 27 (219 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to look into it!// [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.