Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Formatting question

sador
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 12:43pm

Post #1 of 5 (359 views)
Shortcut
Formatting question Can't Post

As I usually do, before beginning a thread in the Reading Room I wrote today's one down in Word, and then copied it to a new thread.

However, for some odd reason, it become formatted in all Italics. This has never happened before - as late as yestreday, it worked just fine.
Any ideas?

"As all things come to an end, even this story..."

Here we read of Bilbo, who is “quiet and drowsy”, that “every now and again he would open one eye” and listen to Gandalf’s tale. Is Tolkien deliberately echoing this passage in LOTR when he writes, “At that Bilbo opened an eye, almost as if he had heard … ‘You see, I am getting so sleepy’, he said.”?
- N.E. Brigand

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Return Journey!

(This post was edited by sador on Nov 13 2012, 12:44pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 2:44pm

Post #2 of 5 (131 views)
Shortcut
don't compose in Word [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have to compose in Word because you're working early, then copy off what you wrote in Word and put it in Notepad before bringing it to the TORn compose window. (or whatever Mac has that is comparable to Notepad).

Alternately, copy it off from word, open a compose window here at TORn and switch to Basic Editor. Paste the text into the Basic Editor window and then switch back to Advanced Editor.

Don't try to format anything in Word. Don't compose in Word with the expectation that you can make bold and bullets and indents and have that transfer here. You want to do all formatting using the TORn commands - either by using the buttons or code.

If you don't strip your text of all formatting code Word has attached to it, you will run into problems and there really isn't any way to solve them. Take it from me. I have tried and learned the hard way.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sador
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 5 (146 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

But this is going to be annoying... Frown

"As all things come to an end, even this story..."

Here we read of Bilbo, who is “quiet and drowsy”, that “every now and again he would open one eye” and listen to Gandalf’s tale. Is Tolkien deliberately echoing this passage in LOTR when he writes, “At that Bilbo opened an eye, almost as if he had heard … ‘You see, I am getting so sleepy’, he said.”?
- N.E. Brigand

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Return Journey!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 13 2012, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 5 (182 views)
Shortcut
Alternately, [In reply to] Can't Post

you can ask a friendly Admin to tidy up the post. I've had to do it many times! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2012, 11:02pm

Post #5 of 5 (294 views)
Shortcut
for what it's worth... [In reply to] Can't Post

Word to Web is an issue no matter what website. When I was taught how to use WordPress to update the website for the company I work for, I was cautioned (although I did not need the caution!) to always compose in the Word Press compose window or compose in Notepad and copy into WP or - if I was copying text from any other application... Word, another web page, InDesign, anything... to put it into Notepad first.

Word just isn't compatible with Web. Two different animals altogether.

Like I said, you can compose in Word if you put it into Notepad or Basic Editor first... but no formatting in Word.

I will also say, if you try for complicating formatting here on the message boards - you can also run into problems. I can probably track down the post I made here where I wanted to tear out my hair and throw the computer out the window because the long post I was composing with lots of formatting (bold, indents, etc.) just got really buggy and I could not fix it. And believe me, not only is it my profession to get things looking right, I get really determined to make things do what I want them to. In the end, I lost.

Simple is better. Formatting should be kept to the minimum possible.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.