Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just for fun...the studio logos we'll probably see opening TH trilogy:

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 12 (802 views)
Shortcut
Just for fun...the studio logos we'll probably see opening TH trilogy: Can't Post

The New Line Logo was pretty iconic to the opening of the LotR films, especially as the dark, minimalist studio logo jived with the fairly dark opening of all three films. However, TH is obviously a different beast in many ways - one being that rather than New Line being the major studio force behind the films, it's now been fully absorbed into the Warner Bros. umbrella (NL was owned by Warners back when LotR was made but was operated as its own distinct company) while as partial holders of the rights to the book, MGM has become involved as well. As a result, TH is a New Line-MGM co-production, and is being distributed by Warner Bros.

It seems likely then that these these three logos will open the TH films. First, is the joint Warner/New Logo, (this was taken from 2011 release) - it pretty effectively transitions from the bright sky of the WB opening to the black background in the New Line version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=bSn1DjLG7LE

And then, we have the new MGM logo circa 2012 - taken from a release this past August - a bit more flashy than the traditional "lion begin studio standard":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvaFPbqu1r4

If HS's music starts over the studio logos, as was the case with LotR, I wonder if there will be brief pauses/rests built in to allow for the MGM lion's roaring, or if the lion will be silent in favor of the score?

Anyhoo, simply watch both videos in succession if you can't wait until Dec. to see the first 30 seconds or so of TH! Tongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 12 (334 views)
Shortcut
I sense an opening logo similar to Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

Where the logo reflects the mood of the film. I'd rather the film got under way to be honest. I detest pre-titles, and don't want Warner Brothers splattered across the Battle of Azanulbizar Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 6:05pm

Post #3 of 12 (315 views)
Shortcut
You mean with altered logo/background? Quite possibly. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO there certainly will be logos/titles of some kind, but they may well be modified to reflect the atmosphere of TH.

The thing I'm still not sure about is whether we're going to open with Older Bilbo, or Erebor. In the Empire article PJ mentions a prologue which establishes "some of the events" - that doesn't sound like the Bilbo/Frodo bookend to me. However, with a prologue - older Bilbo bookend - good morning progression, we risk the film starting three times (a problem for me in the FotR:EE - I preferred the theatrical opening, where Galadriel's 7 minutes of voice-over wasn't followed by 5 more from Bilbo). Tongue

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 6:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (297 views)
Shortcut
Yup that's what I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully Ian Holm will provide the voice for the opening of TH.

Perhaps it starts with Old Bilbo and Frodo, in which they talk about the history if the Dwarves. There's so many possibilities. Even PJ changed his mind on the FOTR prologue.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 6:31pm

Post #5 of 12 (381 views)
Shortcut
In the Official Movie Guide, Elijah Wood specifically states [In reply to] Can't Post

that the film begins with the framing devise ("'It's a great way to start the new film,' says Elijah Wood, 'because people who fell in love with The Lord of the Rings films will have an easy transition into the world of The Hobbit by way of two familiar faces.'" That seems pretty clearly to imply that there is nothing that comes before it. (p. 89)

He also confirms in another place that the framing place takes place just before the first scene in FotR where we see Frodo reading under the tree "I got chills reading the script, when Frodo hears that Gandalf is on his way and he runs off, telling Bilbo that he's going to the Eastfarthing woods to await Gandalf's arrival. As everyone who's seen The Lord of the Rings knows, you see Frodo for the first time sitting reading in a tree and listening for the sound of Gandalf's cart to come along the road. Now here we were filming the moment immediately before that happens." (p. 55)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 6:42pm

Post #6 of 12 (275 views)
Shortcut
I hope that hasn't changed... [In reply to] Can't Post

This would be the best potentiality for the opening of the film, IMO. The Dwarf back story can play out at the Unexpected Party.

BTW, as the Empire article states that Gandalf being stalked through the ruins of Dol Guldur has been pushed to Film 2, I wonder if this will be the opening of DoS (with Gandy finding Thrain and perhaps encountering Bolg)?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 7:18pm

Post #7 of 12 (285 views)
Shortcut
Isn't he sitting on the ground rather than in a tree? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that it makes much difference. Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 7:28pm

Post #8 of 12 (249 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, the worst way to start the film is "an easy transition into the world of The Hobbit."

The opening shouldn't be "easy" or "comfortable." It should be stunning and immersive, as the openings of FOTR and TTT were (also ROTK, but to a lesser extent, as I don't like that scene very much - but it is shocking!)

It's always possible that Elijah just thinks it will open that way, but I doubt it.

In any event, my guess is that Bilbo will recount a part of the history of the dwarves during this section, and that we will get a short flashback.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 11 2012, 7:32pm

Post #9 of 12 (238 views)
Shortcut
It's possible that's not the literal opening [In reply to] Can't Post

I often refer to the opening of FOTR as the prologue right through to the introduction of Hobbiton, so it's entirely possible that Elijah Wood is using a broad term.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 7:36pm

Post #10 of 12 (234 views)
Shortcut
I can actually see this viewpoint as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually wanted a prologue featuring Gandy scouting Dol Guldur, meeting Thrain and barely making it out of the dungeon, and setting up the journey with Thorin before it became known that we'd have Older Bilbo/Frodo bookends. I'd really cottoned to a warmer, gentler, simpler opening for TH before things got epic and grand, but I can see a big opening showing Erebor, Dale, Smaug, the Dwarves lives' in the wild and Azanulbizar being effective as well.

The problem is that if they don't have a prologue similar to FotR, they're going to have to explain and/or show all of this during the film, probably in more than one extensive flashback. Considering other potential flashback material (younger Bilbo at Old Took's party, Thorin rounding up the Dwarves, history of Nazgul tombs ETC), we'd risk the film feeling like was a quarter past tense/exposition.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 7:51pm

Post #11 of 12 (212 views)
Shortcut
Nobody likes a dull opening [In reply to] Can't Post

It needs to capture te audiences attention straight away, just like the LOTR prologue.

I'll think they'll go for something like you say.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2012, 8:11pm

Post #12 of 12 (220 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly I think the frame idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirrors the tone of the textual opening far more than the prologue idea. I tend towards the view that the balance of the tone of these films may well be at least as much fairy tale as it is legend.

I often wonder if some of our assessment isn't skewed slightly by the salience of the new and the unknown (thus giving increased prominence to the more epic elements of Moria, Dol Guldur etc. and thus estimates varying up to the rather unlikely figure of 70% of the films being focused on Dol Guldur and Dwarven history from the appendices).

Of course we don't know anything for sure right now but where we have crude measures which aren't led by perception of prominance they perhaps don't point in that direction. If we look at the soundtrack for example, extremely imperfect though that is, it would seem from the proportion of tracks to be far more like roughly 1/5 (or just over half an hour) devoted to the more "epic" plot lines.

As such, which I find quite credible at this stage, I'm not at all sure that the more gentle intro might not fit well for this first film in particular (though the truth of this remains to be seen).

LR

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.