Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Two news stories on NZ's use of the Hobbit in tourism marketing

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 10 2012, 11:05pm

Post #1 of 12 (283 views)
Shortcut
Two news stories on NZ's use of the Hobbit in tourism marketing Can't Post

Isn't it time we kicked the Hobbit?
Tourism NZ is relying on hobbits to boost a flagging industry, promising that the coming Peter Jackson films will be bigger than the Rugby World Cup. But some experts warn itís a risky strategy and not a true reflection of who we are.

Hollywood's grip on Government
Tourism NZ sought approval from Warner Bros for every aspect of its $10 million "Middle-earth" marketing campaign - even checking with the film studio over issues that did not directly concern it, official papers show.

The second story seems a bit overwrought to me, however the first one is thought-provoking. It'll be interesting to see how The Hobbit's influence plays out in comparison with LOTR's.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 11:16pm

Post #2 of 12 (155 views)
Shortcut
*Wrings hands* [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a patch you can put on to help with kicking The Hobbit?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 11 2012, 1:20am

Post #3 of 12 (147 views)
Shortcut
I remember a story - [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord knows if it's true - that a patch was created to help people break the habit of eating chocolate. However it failed as a business venture because what they hadn't considered was that the majority of people don't *want* to stop eating chocolate.

I figure The Hobbit's in the same boat. Wink

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 11 2012, 2:04am

Post #4 of 12 (143 views)
Shortcut
Gosh that second story reminds me of selling one's soul. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, just wow.Unimpressed

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 2:07am

Post #5 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
Wow is right [In reply to] Can't Post

A tad frightening, I have to say. And about as far away from the spirit of Tolkien as I can imagine.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 11 2012, 2:08am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2012, 3:14am

Post #6 of 12 (155 views)
Shortcut
But Warners does own the film rights, do they not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not getting what the controversy is all about, I guess. Should New Zealand have free reign to advertise themselves as "Middle-Earth"? It seems to me that, if you want to make money off of a film franchise, you should need the approval of the studio that owns said franchise.

Or am I missing something? Unimpressed

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 11 2012, 3:24am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 11 2012, 5:17am

Post #7 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But they don't own the country I live in. But sometimes it feels like they do. Not everyone here feels comfortable with the deals that have been done.
If you ran a lodge and you were told you couldn't even mention that a movie was made nearby, wouldn't you feel ever so slightly grouchy? I would.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 11 2012, 5:20am

Post #8 of 12 (112 views)
Shortcut
I have such mixed feelings about this [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't quite know how to express them without delving into convoluted ideas about our current government, and our Prime Minister. Unsure

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 11 2012, 5:28am

Post #9 of 12 (99 views)
Shortcut
Why on earth [In reply to] Can't Post

would you try to stop eating chocolate? Now that's just silly.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Nov 11 2012, 6:51am

Post #10 of 12 (124 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess nothing's perfect down in NZ after all.

For what it's worth, I don't see the problem in Warners having to approve all aspects of the 100$ Middle Earth campaign. The property is their's, and like any studio they're going to go out of their way to ensure that it's portrayed in the best way possible.

On the other hand, stopping local tourism from advertising their tenuous connection with the films? That's just a a jerky, litigious move, one that the studios get away with too often (I live in LA, so I see this stuff happen a lot). Disney does stuff like this all the time, it's just swept under the rung by the House of Mouse' PR people and lawyers.

What I'm wondering is has any Kiwi been taken to court yet? Has something akin to the Hobbit Pub controversy sprouted up in Aoteoroa?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 11 2012, 6:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (113 views)
Shortcut
I think along the same lines as you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see a problem with Warners having sign-off on the Middle-earth campaign, but getting grumpy at operators who *do* have a link with the films - even if it's just a view of a shooting location - is overly aggressive. Heck, I took a jetboat ride in Te Anau specifically to see shooting locations that were advertised in their brochures. (That the locations were under water because the river was in flood was a big disappointment.)

No court case springs to my mind, though I won't say hand on heart that is hasn't happened from the Tolkien Estate over the years.

I'm more interested in the second story, with many tourism operators calling the Middle-earth campaign short-sighted. I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

Ataahua's stories

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 9:18pm

Post #12 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
My main concern [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the sheer amount of influence on the New Zealand government that Warner Brothers seems to have. This started with their heinous intervention in the legislative process, which significantly altered NZ's labor laws. NZ is being treated like a developing country. These are real consequences that impact real people, and I find them at odds with the spirit of the films.

Relatively speaking, the advertising thing is a pretty harmless symptom.

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 11 2012, 9:20pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.