Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New picture of Thorin?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marcuspaine
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 9:07pm

Post #1 of 31 (1666 views)
Shortcut
New picture of Thorin? Can't Post

It becomes quite a bit larger if you click on it:

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/.../11/thorin-alone.jpg

not sure if this is new or not (it was recently posted), but I've never seen it! You can definitely notice the greyness in Thorin's hair if you click for a zoom-in.

(This post was edited by marcuspaine on Nov 10 2012, 9:09pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 9:12pm

Post #2 of 31 (648 views)
Shortcut
I think i've seen it before but not this large. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, thanks for that. Wink

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 31 (618 views)
Shortcut
i believe [In reply to] Can't Post

we had seen the headshot only.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 9:28pm

Post #4 of 31 (636 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we've seen the headshot [In reply to] Can't Post

painted on the side of that building in NY in the centre of all those other dwarves. Looks quite powerful full length.

elanesse
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 31 (625 views)
Shortcut
more beard please [In reply to] Can't Post

i like thorin, but i wish he had a longer beard...

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 10:00pm

Post #6 of 31 (722 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage explains in the Official Guide [In reply to] Can't Post

That in his mind Thorin's beard is so short because it is a mark of respect to the indignity suffered by Thror and Thrain having their beard's singed Smaug's attack on the Lonely Mountain. Presumably, Kili and Fili are following their uncle's lead. I can work with that.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 10:30pm

Post #7 of 31 (594 views)
Shortcut
Too late now! [In reply to] Can't Post

The film is out in just over a month.Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 10:42pm

Post #8 of 31 (578 views)
Shortcut
Best picture of Thorin yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of gravitas and character in this one (which don't necessarily show in most of the other, smoothly photoshopped, posters).

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 10:44pm

Post #9 of 31 (631 views)
Shortcut
RA gives a good interview in The Official Guide. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is known for always writing a back story for his characters. He also wanted, like others, an explanation for his short beard and this is what he has come up with to help him with his interpretation of the character. "It is a mark of respect for the indignity suffered by Thror and Thrain having their beards singed."

He also says that he modelled Thorin's ability to lead on what he witnessed when he watched PJ in action, LOL!

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 31 (571 views)
Shortcut
Great Photo [In reply to] Can't Post

Armitage really conveys a sense of regalness and authority as Thorin. His costume is brilliant, major props to the team at Weta, I wonder if that fur is perhaps Warg skin? His sword is great too. Despite liking Orcist I hope his Dwarf sword isn't replaced by his shiny new elf one throughout the whole trilogy. His axe also pretty cool.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 10:55pm

Post #11 of 31 (581 views)
Shortcut
What about the other shortbearded dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be one thing if it was but Thorin (and perhaps Fli and Kli, as per your suggestion) who had a short beard; That way, they could really play the whole "he's shortbearded for a reason"-card for all it's worth. However, as it stands, he's not the only one; Bofur, for example, has but a moustache (a long one, granted) and a soul patch.

Honestly, I think they're better off just playing it as something natural, giving it no official explanation (maybe that's the case, given that Armitage said that it's in his mind, instead of saying something like "we decided to portray it like this..."); If there's going to be something special about Thorin's short beard, then it's only going to seem jarring to have someone like Bofur sport even less of a beard, for no given reason (I'm assuming that they wouldn't go into detail on all beard-styles). Heck, even if there was a reason for Bofur's, it would still dilute the whole "Thorin's beard is different for a reason", making it less special; It would be the most powerful if Thorin was alone in that regard.

I don't think it's a secret that I don't like the idea of a shortbearded Thorin, but I could at least (begrudgingly) recognize if an explanation was given for Thorin being shortbearded (and, again, perhaps also Fli and Kli), if he was truly alone in that regard. When he isn't alone, however, such an explanation is going to fall flat to me.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 10 2012, 11:04pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 11:12pm

Post #12 of 31 (583 views)
Shortcut
4 more high res photos here [In reply to] Can't Post

http://thorinoakenshield.net/2012/11/10/5-new-thorin-oakenshield-images-in-high-res/

With thanks to the awesome and only Dark Jackal! Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 11:16pm

Post #13 of 31 (530 views)
Shortcut
So has it been discussed before [In reply to] Can't Post

that it is possible that Thorin and others short of beard, have kept their beards close as some sort of penitence (or something) until they reclaim Erebor?

ETA: ah I just saw VTF's post in this thread... so the answer is yes. (missed a startling revelation by "that much")

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 10 2012, 11:18pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 11:19pm

Post #14 of 31 (577 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage needs to know why his Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

is the way he is. Only then can he fully inhabit the role. This is his personal explanation for his short beard - he is not responsible for everyone else's.

He also says: "I know there are a million people out there for whom I may not be their version of Thorin; but I can only be MY version of Thorin." Very true. Very sensible.

There are also some new(ish) stills of RA on the richardarmitagenet site:

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/...obbitMovieGuide.html

I like the "trio": they look like a family.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 11:21pm

Post #15 of 31 (509 views)
Shortcut
I choose to think [In reply to] Can't Post

that hisbeard is that way because it is a size that best fits him.

If they add another reason, im fine with it. Penitence sounds good. Dont really care much for the anti thorins beard thing since i actually like his look just as it is.

Though i wd be curious to see him witha really long beard...perhaps when he dies in TBA, his beard magically grows back into proper dwarven size Tongue

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 11:24pm

Post #16 of 31 (503 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see Kili's beard grow throughout the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably not, but I can alway hope Wink

With dwarves being so hairy I'd assume their facial hair grows faster compared to humans, so maybe we'll get a couple of scenes with Kili shaving...

Something like this in film 3 would be great: http://25.media.tumblr.com/...kM21qa7w9wo1_500.jpg, though he really looks 10 years older in that picture and I'm guessing that's something they've been trying to avoid.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 10 2012, 11:28pm)

ShireHorse
Rohan

Post #17 of 31 (513 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Just seen your reference [In reply to] Can't Post

to DarkJackal who acknowledges that she has shared these stills with the richardarmitagenet site:

Clickable link:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/...-images-in-high-res/

starlesswinter
Lorien

Post #18 of 31 (517 views)
Shortcut
Armitage probably imagined this himself [In reply to] Can't Post

rather than something the filmmakers have dreamed up as reasoning for their design choice. I doubt they'll actually mention it through dialogue.

At the same time, I think the makeup/hair team probably did try long beards on the actors and decided some of them looked better with shorter ones! I'd rather have no beard at all than one that looks silly or fake. This is speculation, of course.

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 11:30pm

Post #19 of 31 (535 views)
Shortcut
If it's only his point-of-view... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then that's perfectly fine; Of course he should be allowed to do what he needs to do, to get into character.

I'm just saying that, if there's actually a reason for it given within the story, yet no reason is given for the other shortbearded dwarves, then it's going to seem somewhat jarring. Imagine, a group of longbearded dwarves walk in, and then a shortbearded dwarven king walks in, explaining that he's shortbearded out of respect for his forefathers; That would be some pretty powerful stuff, and establish a good deal about this character. If then another shortbearded dwarf walks in and no one says a word about it, then suddenly everything that the shortbearded dwarven king said about his beard, loses much of his power. If it's supposed to be something special and unusual enough to comment on, then it should actually be special and unusual. As it stands, that's not the case.

As others have said though, it is very probable that this is just Armitage's way of getting into character, and nothing more. It is only if it is actually brought up in the film, becoming an officially recognized part of the story, that I would find it not at all convincing.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 10 2012, 11:35pm)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 11:44pm

Post #20 of 31 (481 views)
Shortcut
The other way around actually [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Ali on RAnet who got them from the iPad edition (seriously I don't have the book yet, or an iPad, argh!) I found them via Tumblr and only later found the original source. Credit to Ali.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 12:12am

Post #21 of 31 (471 views)
Shortcut
You have a valid point... [In reply to] Can't Post

...about inconsistency. I personally think as an attempt to rationalize the discrepancy between the Longbeard pride, and their short-bearded king, it's a pretty good one, and it only adds to the feeling of tragedy. As for the other short-bearded dwarves, it is not always the case that every individual follows the cultural ideal on a personal level, even if they have respect for it.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 12:20am

Post #22 of 31 (459 views)
Shortcut
I will admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I could easily see it coming across as something very powerful in the film, adding another layer to his character, if they decide to go that route. I just think there's a very real risk of it seeming, well, not so convincing, if he isn't actually alone in being shortbearded. Therefore, I think it'd be better to just not go that route; It won't seem like much of a sacrifice, like something worth commenting on and making a big deal about, for him to go shortbearded if Bofur does it without thinking twice about it.

I shall mention, that by itself I find this to be the most convincing explanation for the short beard I've seen mentioned. However, I think it falls flat when taking dwarves like Bofur into mind, and therefore, I believe that the explanation would seem out of place when Thorin isn't the only shortbearded dwarf in the film (again, perhaps along with Fli and Kli). This isn't about my dislike for Thorin's short beard, but about keeping the film consistent and believeable.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 11 2012, 12:30am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 12:29am

Post #23 of 31 (446 views)
Shortcut
At this point it sounds more like it is just his reasoning [In reply to] Can't Post

It may not be mentioned at all. And I'm wondering even more now what Thrain and Thror are going to look like throughout the films. Will we have pre- and post Smaug beards??

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 12:33am

Post #24 of 31 (440 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, it does sound like it's just Armitage's inner characterization. [In reply to] Can't Post

And me worrying about nothing Tongue

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 12:48am

Post #25 of 31 (446 views)
Shortcut
I think Kili's beard will definitely be mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

It could end up being a bit of a running gag. Seeing him with a longer beard towards the end would be great.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.