Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New Images and Hobbit Sculpture
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 3:37pm

Post #51 of 78 (484 views)
Shortcut
Unrealistic I'm afraid. [In reply to] Can't Post

A white building illuminated with red light should look red, not white. NB Sunlight is not white, even at high noon, never mind dusk. Only an artificial light could produce that colour.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 4:54pm

Post #52 of 78 (473 views)
Shortcut
Only [In reply to] Can't Post

its not illuminated by red light, thats the whole point. Crazy

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:25pm

Post #53 of 78 (473 views)
Shortcut
w00t! [In reply to] Can't Post

Strangely, that makes me feel better. Smile

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 10:03pm

Post #54 of 78 (465 views)
Shortcut
Shelob'sAppetite: how to post a link? [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply highlight a word, click on the "chain link" icon on the top right of the message field, paste the URL in, and click 'submit!'

Hmm...I'm tripping over my feet here.
I can highlight a word, but there is no "chain link" icon on the top right of the message field. Do I paste the entire URL in or just click on the url button under the message field? And where do I click "submit"? Do you mean "preview/post reply" or "return"?

Sorry SA. "Simply" does not apply, unfortunately, when it comes to me and computers.
I have an Apple. Does that change things?

Thank you for your patience, ladies and gentlemen. Trying to keep the little grey cells functioning.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:34am

Post #55 of 78 (430 views)
Shortcut
I'm astonished that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you think it's all ugly. The world is definitely full of diverse opinions.

I think it's all rather beautiful and creative and lovingly detailed. Good job to the whole creative team behind these movies, I say.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:35am

Post #56 of 78 (415 views)
Shortcut
I like them both. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2012, 7:50am

Post #57 of 78 (453 views)
Shortcut
Disguising a link [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin, firstly you need to be using "Advanced Editor" when posting (see the green button below the posting window? Click on that to change between Basic or Advanced Editor)

Then type the word you want to be the link:

Highlight that word - when you do that I find all the icons in the green bar above the posting window kind of flicker and become bolder!

Then click on the "chain" icon which should be the last icon on the right in that green bar,

That will bring up a new little window in which you type the url of whatever you are linking to.

Then click on the submit button attached to that little window.

You should then find that the word you highlighted has changed colour and is underlined to show that a link is attached to it.

Then you can post your reply as usual.

Hope that helps!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 11 2012, 7:50am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 8:48am

Post #58 of 78 (440 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is (in the original). [In reply to] Can't Post

It's illuminated by light from the setting Sun. Which is RED (the blue light is scattered).

Your version looks like it's illuminated by powerful electric arc lights.

imin
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 11:01am

Post #59 of 78 (409 views)
Shortcut
I think what some people dont like about the original [In reply to] Can't Post

is the sky appears to be too pink compared to what is normal for a red setting sky. Its not to say they dont occur like that, its just not one people see as regularly as a more orange sky.

Of course her photoshop photo is not going to be done to the level of Weta - she is one person with most likely limited software, Weta can do whatever they like.

For me the part i like about the photoshopped one is the colour of the sky is toned down a little bit.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 11:23am

Post #60 of 78 (428 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is the sky appears to be too pink compared to what is normal for a red setting sky. Its not to say they dont occur like that, its just not one people see as regularly as a more orange sky.

I actually painted a picture from a photo I took with exactly that colour sky. I noticed the colour one evening, and decided it would make a good painting. So I went back with my camera. It took a couple of attempts, over several evenings, but I was able to get the same sky again.

But I think people don't get out much at sunset - and you would certainly never see that if you lived in a city or anywhere with street-lights.

That may be a fairly unusual sky, but it certainly happens sometimes. But the photoshopped version is just plain wrong - you only ever see that blue-white light with artificial light sources.

(This post was edited by Fardragon on Nov 11 2012, 11:33am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 11:43am

Post #61 of 78 (415 views)
Shortcut
If you want to see that light [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to actually be able to see the Sun on the horizon, with quite high clouds, so they are illuminated from underneath. You won't see it if the Sun disappears behind buildings or trees before it gets low enough in the sky, My picture was over water, but high up (e.g. in the mountains) should also work.

It helps to be at a fairly northern latitude, in the autumn or winter. The Sun is low in the sky for longer. When I was in Shetland in January exotic skies where the norm.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 11 2012, 1:55pm

Post #62 of 78 (404 views)
Shortcut
I think you are rather rude Fardragon [In reply to] Can't Post

I made that photo for fun, I had no intention of trying to set myself up as an expert, I am self taught and have never had lessons in photoshopping, I only have the use of Photoshop elements 9, which came with the software. I dont have the full version of Photoshop, as my notebook is not powerful enough. and I dont even have a computer, just a small Notebook thingy. The original was IMHO much too pink, I just toned it down somewhat. dont see what your problem is really.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 4:11pm

Post #63 of 78 (410 views)
Shortcut
I'm an artist and a physicist [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm picky about light.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 11 2012, 5:02pm

Post #64 of 78 (381 views)
Shortcut
I am picky too [In reply to] Can't Post

thats why the pink had to go.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 8:10pm

Post #65 of 78 (358 views)
Shortcut
But my point is: [In reply to] Can't Post

The pink is RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy

I don't mean to be insulting, your Photoshop skills are excellent, much better than mine, but you really need to get out and really look at some sunsets.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 11 2012, 8:16pm

Post #66 of 78 (355 views)
Shortcut
Here is an easy way, Lissuin [In reply to] Can't Post

Type:

{url "http://link to wherever.net"}Link/Thread/Title*{/url}

But replace {} with [].

Hope that makes sense?

* this bit will turn blue, once your message is posted.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 11 2012, 10:30pm

Post #67 of 78 (366 views)
Shortcut
I have seen sunsets [In reply to] Can't Post

from North Africa to the North of Scotland, and I have never seen a bubblegum shocking pink one. I have seen golden ones, orange ones, even pink ones, but strangely none of the saccharine Disney type.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2012, 10:41pm

Post #68 of 78 (373 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm "never" is possibly a bit strong. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly not everyday, but I have certainly seen sunsets with the colours of each of the options in this thread on occasion.

LR

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 11 2012, 11:51pm

Post #69 of 78 (363 views)
Shortcut
I havent honestly seen such an unnatural hued sunset before, [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that sunsets can have bright reds, yellows and oranges...its the violet violent pink and purples that are not particularly natural. Those (violet pinks and purples) are high-frequency colours, exactly the opposite of the low-frequency orange and reds you usually get after the sun has dropped below the horizon. My point was, orange and red IS natural, but the violet is usually the result of filtration that adds colour cast. and that original photo is a magenta/violet shocking pink. and I dont like it.
and why is it that only Rivendell has those types of sunsets?

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Nov 11 2012, 11:54pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2012, 12:03am

Post #70 of 78 (357 views)
Shortcut
Well certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

Not liking a shade of sky is entirely a matter of preference and nothing to be questioned there.

If you haven't seen that shade of sunset before then perhaps it appears unnatural but, having seen it myself, it doesn't appear unnatural (and in the cases of really seeing it, it obviously wasn't unnatural) though it is certainly not an everyday sunset.

I don't know if it will be specific to Rivendell and somehow doubt a particular reason will be given. Much as in our world, it may simply be various meteorological factors aligning to produce such a scene.

LR

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 7:42am

Post #71 of 78 (354 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have seen that exact colour [In reply to] Can't Post

And painted it too.

But I will tell you what I have never, ever seen (because it's physically impossible): a white one.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 7:48am

Post #72 of 78 (345 views)
Shortcut
Reason: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and why is it that only Rivendell has those types of sunsets?

It's high up, at a northern latitude, prone to partial high altitude cloud cover, and faces west.

And I can tell you for a fact that Lytham (Lancashire, England) also gets them, as does Shetland.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 10:30am

Post #73 of 78 (361 views)
Shortcut
Scroll this gallery for a whole host of different sunsets... [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Make sure you have selected sunset/sunrise to refine your search.

Look at this!

And yes ... I am a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 12 2012, 10:33am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 9:01pm

Post #74 of 78 (309 views)
Shortcut
The last time I saw a [In reply to] Can't Post

pink palace like that, Barbie and Ken were living in it. Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 13 2012, 8:11am

Post #75 of 78 (299 views)
Shortcut
You need to brush up on your Physics [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't see surfaces, you see the light that is reflected (or scattered) from those surfaces. If a white building is illuminated by a pink light source, it will appear pink. The only way it can appear white is if it is illuminated by a WHITE light source. Which, since the Sun is not white, can only occur with artificial light.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.