Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'The Hobbit' outsells Breaking Dawn and Skyfall!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 10 2012, 7:09am

Post #1 of 59 (1210 views)
Shortcut
'The Hobbit' outsells Breaking Dawn and Skyfall! Can't Post

Thanks to Ringer Josiah for sending this in from EW.com:

Peter Jackson just laid the smackdown on RPatz and James Bond. Advance tickets for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which doesn’t open in theaters until Dec. 14, went on sale on Wednesday, and if we’re speaking plainly, they crushed it. Sales for the film on Fandango accounted for 33 percent of all tickets sold that day on the ticket website, dethroning Breaking Dawn — Part 2, which had held the top spot since Oct. 1. Skyfall, the latest in the 007 franchise, placed second, with 31 percent of the day’s sales. The Twilight crew came in third, with 28 percent of the day’s take.

[Article]

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 59 (782 views)
Shortcut
What a load of rubbish [In reply to] Can't Post

People who want to see Breaking Dawn and Skyfall would've already gotten their tickets by now, so of course The Hobbit is going to sell more tickets in the week that they become available!

The important numbers to compare are how many tickets those two films sold in their first week compared to The Hobbit. I bet they crushed The Hobbit in that sense. WB marketers probably paid EW to publish this.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 1:08pm

Post #3 of 59 (686 views)
Shortcut
I think you misunderstand. [In reply to] Can't Post

The vast majority of the cinema going public buy their tickets on the door. Pre-booked tickets only amounts for a tiny proportion of box office.

For the Hobbit, more people are pre-booking tickets a month in advance than are actually going to see Skyfall at all.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 1:17pm

Post #4 of 59 (648 views)
Shortcut
That's not what it's saying... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to be saying that The Hobbit accounted for 33% of tickets sold on Fandango on Wednesday. But Skyfall and Breaking Dawn have been selling since October, so it's pretty obvious that they're not going to sell as well nearly a month later.

They make it seem like they're saying The Hobbit outsold them both, but it's just clever wording. The fact that they're using percentages instead of numbers is dodgy to begin with Tongue

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 1:20pm

Post #5 of 59 (613 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it makes a great headline. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i doubt WB paid them to publish it. It's media, they love such headlines.

It was the first day of ticket availability for Hobbit, the most ardent fans rushed out to buy tickets, whereas movies like Bond and Twilight have been having tickets available for a while. More important will be to stay on top. Twilight for instance has been on top or near top since October 1st, now that's impressive. Of course Twilight is the franchise with the most crazy fans, the movies are extremely frontloaded.

p.s.
I seriously doubt Bond crushed Hobbit in first week ticket sales.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 1:22pm

Post #6 of 59 (613 views)
Shortcut
To be fair, Fandango never use numbers. [In reply to] Can't Post

They always report weekly top 5 in percentages.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 1:36pm

Post #7 of 59 (590 views)
Shortcut
Here it probably did... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the UK it becomes compulsory to watch Bond. (Though I've not seen it, literally everyone I know has)

I'm a media student, and I can say that very few people at college actually care about The Hobbit. I'm hoping that'll change for films 2 & 3, but the simple fact is that it's been so long that people don't really remember LotR as anything but a big war film.

I honestly think the mistake they've made is putting too much LotR stuff in the trailers. When people see Gollum and Gandalf and Elrond and Galadriel and Frodo and Bilbo they just think "we've seen all this before" but if they'd focused more on the new characters, the dwarves, the new orcs, the spiders etc. Then people would be more excited.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 1:40pm

Post #8 of 59 (599 views)
Shortcut
I think you are selling Hobbit short. [In reply to] Can't Post

UK will be one of the biggest markets for Hobbit. Tolkien is big in the UK.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 1:45pm

Post #9 of 59 (586 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings is big here... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, like I said, The Hobbit doesn't interest anyone. It's been marketed all wrong IMO. Imagine how much more excited you'd be if the trailers showed all-new stuff and we hadn't seen how Elrond or Gollum were going to look. I honestly think the first film won't sell as well as people are expecting (it'll still be huge, but it won't break any records). The success of films 2 & 3, however, will depend on how good film 1 is.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 1:51pm

Post #10 of 59 (601 views)
Shortcut
If the Hobbit doesn't interest anyone, it'll flop. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which of course it won't. Wink

Again, i think you are wrong. Hobbit is known in the UK, similar to LOTR. And it's the prequel to the beloved LOTR movie trilogy. People will check it out.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 10 2012, 1:55pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 1:54pm

Post #11 of 59 (595 views)
Shortcut
I think this clears up any question about ticket sales for AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

So now there is just last-minute perfection of CGI which will be good for all the movies.

I don't think that film2 depends on film1 as much as you might guess. There are a lot of people waiting to see Thranduil and the Mirkwood elves ... and the dragon.

However, I do think that film3 depends on film1 and film2.

And I do remember that the first trailers actually did have a lot of dwarves (especially Thorin) in them ... and not more than a handful of seconds of Galadriel and Elrond ...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 2:01pm

Post #12 of 59 (542 views)
Shortcut
Well, not really [In reply to] Can't Post

It only clears up whether Hobbit on November 7, its first day, would sell more tickets on one internet ticket seller than movies such as Bond & Twilight that have been selling tickets for a while.

In Reply To
I think this clears up any question about ticket sales for AUJ.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 2:04pm

Post #13 of 59 (549 views)
Shortcut
There isn't really any new big huge stuff in film one. [In reply to] Can't Post

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 2:07pm

Post #14 of 59 (563 views)
Shortcut
Yeah skyfall has been massive [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the highest grossing James Bond ever in the UK. It has also reached the highest BO of any film this year overtaking the dark knight rises in the UK.

If any film can do it though, its one with 3D and IMAX ticket prices.

I think the hobbit will do very well in the UK getting either highest BO this year or coming in just behind James Bond.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 2:09pm

Post #15 of 59 (548 views)
Shortcut
But the trailers don't show the dwarves... [In reply to] Can't Post

We're introduced, by name and quick flashes, to each dwarf and then it's back to "THIS IS A LORD OF THE RINGS PREQUEL". Even us, who follow every scrap of info, haven't heard any of the new characters say more than a few words. Think about it, what do Ori, Nori, Dori, Bombur, Bofur, Gloin, or Oin actually sound like? Do they have accents? These are main characters and we know nothing about them because all promotional material has concentrated on the familiar faces. We've practically seen the entire Riddles in the Dark sequence already! I don't know why they do it. All suspense is now ruined for that scene in the movie.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 2:14pm

Post #16 of 59 (534 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beating Bond might be difficult in the UK but it'll be 2nd for the year for sure, imho.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 2:17pm

Post #17 of 59 (540 views)
Shortcut
They do it because they want to remind people "this is the prequel to LOTR". [In reply to] Can't Post

And since LOTR is a beloved series of films many have seen, i think that's pretty smart of them.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 10 2012, 2:19pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 2:18pm

Post #18 of 59 (536 views)
Shortcut
I hope I'm wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do want to see The Hobbit do well, I'm just judging by how everyone else has reacted to marketing so far. For me to be wrong, though, I think one thing needs to happen; The next trailer needs to blow the others out of the water.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2012, 2:20pm

Post #19 of 59 (532 views)
Shortcut
Well whilst I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That we shouldn't try to scale up these comments about online ticket sales, I would also say that scaling up anecdote is similarly un-revealing for the wider picture. We can't be saying what "everyone" thinks based on a handful of folks.

I do hope we haven't seen all of Riddles in the Dark - I haven't seen a single riddle yet!

LR

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Nov 10 2012, 2:26pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 2:27pm

Post #20 of 59 (520 views)
Shortcut
The trailers could have been better, i give you that. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are a little light on cool moments, money shots, action, stuff that resonates with mainstream audiences. And most of the time the dwarves must serve as the source of humor. I hope they are not the laughing stock throughout the whole movie.

Aragorn22
The Shire

Nov 10 2012, 2:49pm

Post #21 of 59 (493 views)
Shortcut
Hey, [In reply to] Can't Post

Quacking troll, you keep saying everyone doesn't care, as if you have talked to every person there is. In my area I hear nothing but excitement for this movie so maybe we just need to wait and see. It's gonna do great numbers at the BO for sure, but probably not shatter any records. None of the Lotr movies set any records, they just made a lot of money and were great films. In the end all that matters is it a quality film and will it make a profit.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 2:50pm

Post #22 of 59 (507 views)
Shortcut
I think you're just making assumptions based on what a handful of your own age-group are saying in college. [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to see Skyfall a few days ago (good fun). The audience covered the whole age range and included large numbers of middle-aged and older people. This is because many of us have been going to see Bond films all our lives - it's not just an action thriller for the younger generation but has sentimental value.

I think the same will happen with The Hobbit - it will draw its audience from an extraordinarily wide spectrum. There will be the very young who are just reading it at the moment; there will be the teens who remember reading it a few years ago with affection; there will be those in their twenties and thirties - and older - who not only remember reading TH but who remember the LotR fims as a big event in their lives and who want to recapture the moment; there are the golden oldies who have been life-long fans of Tolkien and who enjoyed PJ's films; and there are the followers of a large number of great actors/attractive men who just want to see them on the big screen - Sir Ian, MF, RA, AT, BC, AS, LE, LP etc etc. They must bring with them a huge following, not to mention Cate and Evangeline. There is an appeal to both sexes and all age groups.

Everyone I know - small children, teenagers, middle-aged and elderly - have got TH marked for viewing. Even the lady in her forties at the check-out desk when I bought the Hobbit edition of Empire Magazine the other day wanted to know when it would be on.

So many other films draw their audience from quite a limited age range. The Hobbit will appeal to just about everyone.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 2:56pm

Post #23 of 59 (516 views)
Shortcut
If it doesn't interest anyone.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are all these people buying tickets?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 3:01pm

Post #24 of 59 (491 views)
Shortcut
I said it'll still be big, just not as big as expected... [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, 33% of ticket sales on a specific website on a specific day doesn't really indicate the number of people interested...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 3:13pm

Post #25 of 59 (457 views)
Shortcut
Fandango is for North America only anyway, as far as i know, so irrelevant for UK. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.