Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A recent trend!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 9:59am

Post #1 of 39 (1473 views)
Shortcut
A recent trend! Can't Post

I have noticed in the Internet regarding Middle-earth movies. When the Lotr films came out, some purists howled with protest, comparing the movies wth the books in negative terms. But with the passage of time this seems to have largely gone. Now I have noticed people saying, 'I really liked the Lotr films, but I fear for the Hobbit because of.........!'

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 10 2012, 11:30am

Post #2 of 39 (780 views)
Shortcut
I've been drinking so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to express my opinion more openly than normal. LOTR was a masterpiece in all three films. They are so classically cinematic, and well done. PJ and Co. put just as much work into making these films as Tolkien did in writing the books. The books are masterpieces as well. I love them both equally.

I get really annoyed at people who bash PJ for "ruining" the books. I've never seen so much care and love put in to the production of a series of films. If you don't like the films that's fine. But at least give them credit for being passionate.

As for The Hobbit. I haven't seen it yet, so I can not judge it. But judging from the amount of work being put into it, it should be a good time at the theatres.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 1:27pm

Post #3 of 39 (677 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been drinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but I agree with you

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 1:33pm

Post #4 of 39 (637 views)
Shortcut
I'm of the same Mind with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ&Co will change the course of Cinema History with 3 epic features ...
The Nay-Sayers will be wrong.
Seems to Bomby ..that to impress
Posters here
Nitpicking over the most infantesimal details
is so like
FilmCritics who are paid to Critsize anything?
Bomby has no worries..Bomby needs no worries.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2012, 2:49pm

Post #5 of 39 (598 views)
Shortcut
i have been drinking and I say the hobbit movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

Will Rock!!!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 39 (545 views)
Shortcut
I believe.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Every Tolkien fan (purist, book firster, movie firster or whatever) wants to see this movie and is looking forward to it. The constant nitpicking and such is a sub-conscious defense against disappointment. The less your expectations the safer you feel emotionally. IMOCool

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 5:32pm

Post #7 of 39 (469 views)
Shortcut
RE: Passion [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely agree about the crew being passionate. If there's one thing that annoys me about complaints toward PJ and Co., it's the accusation that they don't respect Tolkien. Clearly these people love Tolkien's work, but that doesn't mean they agree with every decision he made. I honestly think, even though they may make some mistakes, they are just trying to make the best possible versions they themselves would enjoy. You simply can't make a film that will please every fan out there. Actually, I think a film that tries to do that will end up not succeeding as a piece of film (see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 39 (453 views)
Shortcut
This is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I never used to moan about the trilogy until I came here.

I moan because it's human.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 39 (428 views)
Shortcut
haha this is so true [In reply to] Can't Post

i never moaned about them at all (hard to believe i know :P) until coming here and looking at them deeper.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 39 (425 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like the LOTR films very much, but there is indeed a lot of passion and ingenuity behind them. They are not a paint-by-numbers "Ron Howard" Middle Earth, thank God.

I don't believe the filmmakers intentionally "disrespect" Tolkien either. I think that despite their reverence for the source material, they simply have tastes and perspectives that are quite different than Tolkien's. Combined with what I believe is PJ's ham-handed style of storytelling and directing (passionate, yes, but overly melodramatic, IMO) and I get something that just doesn't feel like the Lord of the Rings (to me).

But I agree with you. It is not quite fair to accuse the team of deliberately butchering Tolkien's creation.

It wasn't deliberate. Smile

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 10 2012, 6:43pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 6:40pm

Post #11 of 39 (459 views)
Shortcut
I agree on the LotR films being masterpieces... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I also disagree when people say things like PJ ruined the books or vomited on Tolkien or things to that effect. PJ's job was to make three works which were effective as films first, and adaptations second - he had to the truer to the medium than the source material (to which he was VERY faithful anyway). LotR was one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen, in any event. LotR effectively captured the major characters, story beats (save the Scouring of the Shire), visuals and themes from the novels; most adaptations do NOT do this for their respective source material.

However, I'm also one of the those people who say:

'I really liked the Lotr films, but I fear for the Hobbit because of.........!'

The more we see of it, the more I think TH is going to be a lesser work than LotR and probably divide the fans as of much (if not more) than the previous trilogy. Personally, I have the feeling that when all is said and done, I (and perhaps others), will be saying something along the lines of "The Hobbit was an exciting project with loads of potential and a lot of very talented people involved, which nevertheless would have been better served by not delving into SO much expansion, repeating so much from the previous trilogy, remaining two films, and greatly toning down the toilet humor and more over-the-top comedy".

Keep in mind however, this is speculation at this point. But we'll see in just over a month (or we'll begin anyway, an experiance which should be fun through the Summer of 2014 at least). Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 10 2012, 6:54pm

Post #12 of 39 (437 views)
Shortcut
well, there are ways to lessen one's expectations other than nitpicking [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, one way we think of 'lessening one's expectations' is to lower them. To anticipate the worst. To expect the worst. To fear the worst.

Another way is to remove them. To not think so hard about it. To not make a list of what we want to see. To not start pinning our own wants onto a film that will be made by someone not directly under our control (The person doing your kitchen remodel is listening to you and has to please you. The link between filmmakers listening and trying to please fans is much less direct. And the link between filmmakers and individual fans is non-existent).

I am trying to go in with as few expectations as possible. It's actually what I do with most movies. I might have a general sense of a movie -- set in London, some action, has an actor (or director) I'm familiar with -- but I don't want to know much more than that. I don't really want to know the plot. I don't really want to know if it has a sad ending or not. I don't want to know what critics thought of it.

I do listen to general impressions of people I tend to agree with often. After the fifth person in the Off Topic movie thread says they loved a certain film, it gets bumped pretty high in my 'must see' list. But I don't need (and don't want) to know the plot before hand. And I do want to know if it has anything exceptionally bloody, gorey, or scary in it. But that's about it.

With The Hobbit, I found I had a few expectations off the bat.
ONE: It was going to be like LOTR.
TWO: I was going to experience it like I did LOTR.
THREE: I was going to be able to share my wonderful experience with people online like I did with LOTR.

I realized those were pretty strong expectations. I have since tried to let them go. I do this by simply letting them go. Not by saying, "Oh... I bet I won't like it" "I can think of 14 reasons why I might not like it." "I'm going to follow every bit of news I can't find and figure out if I think I will like it."

I say, wipe the white board clean (the 21st Century version of wipe the slate clean) and let PJ bring out his markers and draw a little sompin on it. Like what he draws... or don't. But all the nitpicking won't let us like it more.

If nit picking is a sub-conscious defense then let's bring it out into the open, examine the concept and decide if it's going to work toward getting what we want in end or not. If what we want is to enjoy (or love) the movie, then nitpicking won't work. To refrain from nit-picking won't insure we will enjoy the movie, of course. But I think we have a better chance of enjoying it if we refrain from nitpicking.

Then again, I'm not convinced that some nit-picking here (or other places) is because people are afraid they won't like the movie. I think, sometimes, there are other motivations and agendas at work. I think some people just enjoy nitpicking.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 6:58pm

Post #13 of 39 (412 views)
Shortcut
Heh, what happened to my sig...it's big! ;P // [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 7:03pm

Post #14 of 39 (425 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some people just enjoy nitpicking.

One person's "nit" is another person's "serious issue."

Labeling any critical opinion someone has about a work of art as a "nitpick" is essentially just an effective way of unfairly dismissing their opinion.

Only the person doing the criticism can label his or her opinion a "nitpick," if it applies.

Me? My criticisms are 70% serious, and 30% nitpicks. I just won't reveal which is which! Smile

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 10 2012, 7:05pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 7:20pm

Post #15 of 39 (387 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...may seem an inadequate response to a long and well-argued post but, YES!

(That's really all I want to say)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 10 2012, 8:15pm

Post #16 of 39 (346 views)
Shortcut
Magpie.. you are a Godess to Bomby/// [In reply to] Can't Post

whitetree
The Shire

Nov 10 2012, 8:20pm

Post #17 of 39 (356 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Magpie about nitpicking... [In reply to] Can't Post

But with the big, highly-anticipated movies that I know what the plot is SUPPOSED to be, I protect myself by finding out details and spoilers as much as I can. That way if there are major issues, at least I'll be ready for them.

Having said all that, I fully expect to enjoy all the Hobbit movies, because for the most part I like what PJ did with LOTR, they are some of my favorite movies ever.

So it does bother me for people to say PJ will ruin them, or that he only cares about the money, or Hollywood, or stuff like that. I believe he will make the best movies he can, movies that he would want to see, and that I will probably enjoy them, too.

It's hard to wait...

chrism628
Bree

Nov 10 2012, 8:22pm

Post #18 of 39 (363 views)
Shortcut
Your signature is hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 1:44am

Post #19 of 39 (293 views)
Shortcut
Typical [In reply to] Can't Post

People just wanna follow the trend, and normally just repeat what other "fans" say.

Even if The Hobbit isn't true to the books, a lot of effort and manhours went into the making of these films. Even though some changes/add-ins are questionable, no doubt it'll still be a great time at theaters.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 1:51am

Post #20 of 39 (289 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people are just a little worried about what they are seeing and hearing.

I know that when I heard about the troll snot, and the Goblin King's throne-toilet, I got a little worried. Legitimately so, I would say.

Does that mean I am just following a trend?

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 2:58am

Post #21 of 39 (275 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you both [In reply to] Can't Post

And I might drink later.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:55am

Post #22 of 39 (246 views)
Shortcut
No, it simply means you're sharing your opinion. [In reply to] Can't Post

And agreed that many of the criticisms of TH films are so far perfectly legitimate...not wanting a Goblin King who poops in a potty while he's singing doesn't make one a purist who's "following a trend".

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 3:56am

Post #23 of 39 (253 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! And size back to normal, apparently. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 4:00am

Post #24 of 39 (255 views)
Shortcut
I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between genuine nitpicking [In reply to] Can't Post

and genuinely reacting to what we're seeing, as we see it. To just say "I have no opinion of the film until it comes out" kind-of defeats the purpose of a message board where we discuss every still, every bit of info, every interview, ETC. Wink

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 4:24am

Post #25 of 39 (233 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

One could say that this forum primarily serves as a convenient place to both pick (and praise) nits! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.