Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Les Misérables International trailer

PattyJB
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 4:46am

Post #1 of 11 (272 views)
Shortcut
Les Misérables International trailer Can't Post

We get to see and hear many more characters. I'm still debating Crowe's singing, but maybe in the movie theater it will work. Amanda Seyfried's voice sounds lovely. And I am a big Helena Bonham Carter fan, so I'm glad that we at least see the Thénardiers.
https://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=YmvHzCLP6ug

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Nov 11 2012, 8:13pm

Post #2 of 11 (148 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like we have the usual issues [In reply to] Can't Post

with known movie actors who can sing fairly well being cast instead of opera caliber stage performers - and if done right Les Mis is one of those musicals like Porgy and Bess, Showboat and Sweeney Todd that are borderline opera, which means that for a majority of the characters it's performers need to be able to sing a notch better than just being able to carry a tune.

That being said, big name actors bring in the audiences and therefore the stage performers are never going to get to play their roles in their musical's movie versions, so it is what it is. Actually I thought everyone sounded pretty good except for that I hate to say it sounds like Anne Hathaway might not have the necessary vocal power for Fantine. I thought Russell Crowe sounded fine except for that his note seguing into the Thenardiers' first line in "One Day More" seemed cut short, which concerned me a little.

The sets and costumes, of course, look wonderful, and everyone certainly looks the parts.

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 12 2012, 4:18am

Post #3 of 11 (127 views)
Shortcut
It wil be difficult for them to overcome... [In reply to] Can't Post

the great singers that preceded them.

When you've seen the version with Ruthie Henshall as Fantine and Lea Salonga as Eponine, or even Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway as the Thenadiers (my favorites in those roles), one will always subconsciously or overtly compare the performances.

I'll withhold judgement until I've watched it, but I've seen later stage versions of Les Miz that were simply not on par with the performers I mentioned.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Nov 12 2012, 4:19am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 6:58am

Post #4 of 11 (117 views)
Shortcut
Whatever happened to the good old days... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when they dubbed songs with singers who could really deliver? This looks like a terrific production of a truly great show, but there's no necessity to make actors sing beyond their musical ability.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

willowing
Lorien

Nov 12 2012, 7:11pm

Post #5 of 11 (72 views)
Shortcut
A Song For Russell [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thirty Odd Foot of Grunt" is the name of the band he fronted so he would have the musical experience to pull off a song in the movie. It should be a song that people will remember.

I think of the movie "Paint Your Wagon" with Lee Marvin singing "Wandering Star" and Clint Eastwood's "I Talk To The Trees"

I think Russell's voice would be between Clint's and Lee's voice.

He may even get to sing a hymn in "Noah".
Cool

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 3:13am

Post #6 of 11 (90 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any subsequent version is going to be compared to the electrifying 10th anniversary concert by anyone who's seen it, and it's going to be tough to measure up. I did notice something interesting about the full movie cast list. Colm Wilkinson (the original Jean Valjean) apparently has a cameo as the Bishop. That's a pretty cool nod to the legacy of the original cast.

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2012, 5:04am

Post #7 of 11 (73 views)
Shortcut
Best concert [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the best cast I've seen-- the 10th Anniversary. I didn't know about Colm Wilkinson, though-- that's exciting! Now, if only we can get Philip Quast in there somehow...

‎"If my tongue were trained to measures, I would sing a stirring song."
--Paul Tillich

Mozart and Chocolate

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Nov 13 2012, 11:17am

Post #8 of 11 (55 views)
Shortcut
No one but Wilkinson [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as the original and early casts go, at least that I notice. Keeping in mind that they're starting to get up there in age now with the exceptions of the performers who played the two child roles (not counting Young Eponine because she was, if I remember, a silent role) and that the characters skew young, I can't really think of any characters they could segue into anyway. I think that's for the best, since focus should be on the current cast rather than being on the lookout for original players showing up in the minor roles. Just a nod by adding Wilkinson to the prologue is enough.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 2:05pm

Post #9 of 11 (42 views)
Shortcut
A friend of Mine is an Extra in the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

They shot for four days in Portsmouth, England near where I live...it would be nice to see Portsmouth and my friend on the big Screen...but I don't like musicals and I don't know if he will mkae the final cut...

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 13 2012, 5:02pm

Post #10 of 11 (43 views)
Shortcut
The trailers look promising [In reply to] Can't Post

I must confess, I'd no idea what this movie was until I saw the first trailer. It was so well done, and Anne Hathaway's singing was beautiful - I had to look it up. I'm very interested and will probably go see it.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Tintallë
Gondor

Nov 13 2012, 5:46pm

Post #11 of 11 (130 views)
Shortcut
I think this will be incredibly good [In reply to] Can't Post

precisely because it will be done by people whose primary focus is the story. I anticipate that ilming with actors who can sing rather than singers who can act will create a starker, bleaker, grimmer, grittier reality than the polished voices of the live theatre version. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved the live musical and always will, but I think there's a place for this type of production as well. Hugh Jackman has already won acclaim in musical theater. Anne Hathaway embodies the ravaged Fantine in the trailers (she lost 25 lbs for the role! She ate only oatmeal paste for days!) and I fully expect the others to have a similar dramatic impact not only because of their acting prowess but most particularly because they are not professional singers.

I can't wait!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.