I've got my map!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 3:01pm

Post #101 of 165 (4688 views)
Shortcut
Just out of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone in the UK order a map? Have any maps arrived there yet?

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Wynnie
Rohan

Nov 9 2007, 3:30pm

Post #102 of 165 (4692 views)
Shortcut
That would only have worked for me [In reply to] Can't Post

if I'd been able to free the map without first destroying the tube.

I know what you mean about curious kitties -- my two were quite interested in the tube remnants, and I thought I'd better keep the map itself in a room they can't get into, until it's framed.

Perhaps under the shadow of the Unnamed some of the beasts of Mirkwood
are wandering hither to our woods. They have black squirrels there, 'tis said.

Wynnie
Rohan

Nov 9 2007, 3:32pm

Post #103 of 165 (4695 views)
Shortcut
*waits for Patty to post an updated list* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 3:50pm

Post #104 of 165 (4684 views)
Shortcut
That means... [In reply to] Can't Post

mine should be next! If the mail truck can make the one-hour drive from your town to mine in a day. (Which isn't always the case.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 3:54pm

Post #105 of 165 (4677 views)
Shortcut
Hold my hand, map-neighbor, and we'll wait together. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 3:59pm

Post #106 of 165 (4687 views)
Shortcut
You must be right. [In reply to] Can't Post

When you consider the months of conspiracy that led up to the map being made and delivered, and all that could have gone wrong (RosieLass was terrified she'd drive to the Altaira's and accidently leave the map at home, for example, and I was so scared Altaira would say at the last minute "Oh, today's not working out. Could we get together for lunch another time?"), and how it all came together so perfectly, there must be some kind of good magic looking over all of this.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Nov 9 2007, 5:14pm

Post #107 of 165 (4719 views)
Shortcut
An ordinaryhobbit conspiracy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lied to.

Mr. Hob was sneaking around.

The hubby and I knew about a very special map. My dear mate went to some trouble to divert my attention from this special map. He would tell me what was 'possibly' planned for this map. But, only some of it, as it turns out. I didn't take the time to read those posts. I lost track of things.
That was his intention.
He read and deleted my e-mails from Entmaiden; about deadlines and addresses and who knows what all. Then he conspired with her to keep me in the dark!
Also, the hubby corresponded with Daniel Reeve himself! Twice! He never let on at all. about anything!
Tricksie!
A conspiracy unmasked:
Wednesday was ordinaryhobbit's birthday; just one of those lovely LOTR related coincidences. So, guess what my mathom was? Gads! Could there be a better one?
# 38! For me!
I mean, for us. ; ]
Oh! Lordy! What a moment!

I just wanted you all to know that when I look at that map, and as I write this, I can hardly keep from crying. It is just a wonderful, wonderful thing!

Love to all,
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others, briefly)

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 9 2007, 5:28pm

Post #108 of 165 (4683 views)
Shortcut
That's a brilliant idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I'd thought of it!

Luckily I had a larger tube that I could put it in. I'll leave it there for a day or two, then lay it flat with something heavy on top. That should do the trick.

Oh Moon, lovely moon, with thy beautiful face,
Careering throughout the boundaries of space,
Whenever I see thee, I think in my mind,
Shall I ever, oh ever, behold thy behind.

--Edmund Gosse's house maid

http://mallika.vox.com/

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 9 2007, 5:30pm

Post #109 of 165 (4680 views)
Shortcut
Mine must have come later in the evening. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it was leaning against the door when I got home last night at 9:00, and I know my sister was about earlier in the day.

Ginger
Rohan

Nov 9 2007, 5:52pm

Post #110 of 165 (4674 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful guy you are married to! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Happy Belated Birthday!

Patty
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 5:53pm

Post #111 of 165 (4743 views)
Shortcut
Updated list of Keepers of the Map....Updated again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Inferno = # 1
entmaiden = # 2
Sevilodorf = # 3
Silverlode = # 4
Eledhwen = # 6
Kimi = # 7
WhiteLadyEowyn = #9
Annael = #10
deej = # 12
a.s. = #13
grammaboodawg = # 14
Aunt Dora Baggins = # 15
dernwyn = #16
Kethry = # 18
RosieLass = # 19
Lily Fairbairn = #21
Patty = #22
Wynnie = # 23
Shadowfaxfan = #25
CAhobbit = #26
Morwen = # 27
Ginger = #28
Idril Celebrindal = # 29
Lurking Girl = #33
Squire = # 35
Morrowdim = # 37
Ordinaryhobbit = # 38
N.E.Brigand = # 39
Smeagirl/Girllum = # 42
nerdanel = # 43
Alassea Elensar - # 46
hatster = #50

Silverlode or other admin can please help edit as needed.Heart Thanks!

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Nov 12 2007, 11:03pm)

Ginger
Rohan

Nov 9 2007, 5:55pm

Post #112 of 165 (4680 views)
Shortcut
#28 [In reply to] Can't Post

I had mine sent to me at work. The mail sorter came in with our bin, and there was a tube sticking out! I got so excited, and now I think he thinks I'm weird.

I've only looked in the tube. It really is hard to get out, and I had a meeting right after the mail came, and now I've got one in a few minutes. I just want to look the map over and take it all in!

ordinaryhobbit
Bree

Nov 9 2007, 5:58pm

Post #113 of 165 (4690 views)
Shortcut
Mischief-Managed [In reply to] Can't Post

After a couple of near misses she was surprised to get the print. The closest she came to finding out was one night I was in the computer room, as it turns out, emailing Daniel Reeve and I thought she was in the kitchen. I was wrong and in she came. That took me completely by surprise and quick-witted me said something like OH! YOU CAN’T SEE THIS. She said later she thought I was e-mailing the kids about Christmas. I wasn’t very good about figuring out how to surprise her when I gave it to her and in the end I told her I had something for her and just handed it to her. After a couple of “OMG’s and It’s the signed one” she said she knew how Altaira felt when she first saw the map.
I just wanted to mention what a nice man Daniel Reeve is, as I’m sure everyone knows. He had sent a Thank You email after I placed the order and I replied back thanking him for so wholeheartedly putting himself into this map. Well, he emailed back thanking me for thanking him and had a concern about printing my name. This is part of the email,

“There's a thing I should tell you about writing your name. "ordinaryhobbit" was the first name I wrote after cleaning the pen at one stage, and because the ink was a bit diluted by the water in the nib, it came out lighter than the other names. I wondered for ages - right through the rest of the map - whether I should go over it again to make it darker, like the other names - but it would have been a risky thing to do. In the end I decided to leave it as it is, partly because of the risk, but mostly because I thought it looked kinda special, despite/because of the name! It says "ordinaryhobbit", but stands out from the rest, in a nice kind of way! I think it looks neat!"

When Hob surprised me in the computer room I was thanking and assuring him I thought this was one more special thing to look for on a very special map.
What a great guy he is and what an adventure this has been.

Cheers
ordinaryhobbit

aka Mr Hob

(Briefly Amrun n'Anor)

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2007, 6:03pm

Post #114 of 165 (4669 views)
Shortcut
YAY! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see it up close! Now the only thing to decide is what kind of frame to get for it.

Thanks again Entmaiden - you're the best! Cool

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Wynnie
Rohan

Nov 9 2007, 6:12pm

Post #115 of 165 (4670 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

... and hatster has # 50, and Ginger (just reported) # 28.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 6:27pm

Post #116 of 165 (4703 views)
Shortcut
The neighbour's kitten [In reply to] Can't Post

had not only come into our apartment, but had brought a little friend (another kitten), and they were chasing each other around the room when I realised I'd left the map on the couch! That was another sign that I'd better get it safely framed.

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 6:31pm

Post #117 of 165 (4667 views)
Shortcut
You of all people should know how to do it ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2007, 7:04pm

Post #118 of 165 (4689 views)
Shortcut
Another conspiracy unmasked! [In reply to] Can't Post

Conspiracies of the very best kind abound wherever the Map goes. It's a lovely thing - and what a wonderful husband you have, my dear! Definitely a keeper! Wink

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 7:06pm

Post #119 of 165 (4670 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering why your name was in lighter ink [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it!

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 7:08pm

Post #120 of 165 (4670 views)
Shortcut
I have number 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

I see neither 20 nor 22 has turned up yet.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 7:12pm

Post #121 of 165 (4667 views)
Shortcut
That's a good age to be ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back, hatster!

Patty
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 8:31pm

Post #122 of 165 (4670 views)
Shortcut
This was really sweet... [In reply to] Can't Post

lovely.

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 8:41pm

Post #123 of 165 (4675 views)
Shortcut
I think it would have been wise [In reply to] Can't Post

for you to let them know you were incapable of doing competent work for the rest of the day and just gone home! OMG! You have such fortitude to stick around! I'd be running from the building like Denethor!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Annael
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 9:08pm

Post #124 of 165 (4668 views)
Shortcut
I got #10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Altaira's #1?

Outside a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 9 2007, 9:28pm

Post #125 of 165 (4680 views)
Shortcut
I plead as my excuse [In reply to] Can't Post

that the original wasn't rolled as tightly as this one, so it lay fairly flat right out of the tube. It was just the edges that needed flattening.

This one kept shutting up like a stubborn window shade!

And I was terrified of bending or damaging it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.