Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New pictures of Misty Mountain Goblins
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Orc13
Bree

Nov 9 2012, 6:33pm

Post #1 of 26 (1222 views)
Shortcut
New pictures of Misty Mountain Goblins Can't Post

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=69855

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 6:41pm

Post #2 of 26 (612 views)
Shortcut
Already posted [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Thoromir
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 6:44pm

Post #3 of 26 (588 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why couldn't they just stick with prosthetics instead of CGI... Unsure
Not sure what I think of their look. It's ok, I guess. A bit too comical maybe.. (especially the second goblin).

Thoromir
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 6:45pm

Post #4 of 26 (580 views)
Shortcut
I didn't even notice :O // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn22
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 26 (559 views)
Shortcut
Comical? Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. I find these goblins to be quite fantastic. These pics and ones in the book I bought on Tuesday have really blown me away. Very creepy and they look like creatures that would inhabit mountains.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 7:28pm

Post #6 of 26 (511 views)
Shortcut
I like the first picture... [In reply to] Can't Post

The second one is, imho, a bit..dunno..weird? Can't put my finger on it, really.
It's not that bad, don't get me wrong, but was hoping for a more 'natural' look (like in LotR).
Perhaps it has to grow on me...

Aragorn22
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 7:33pm

Post #7 of 26 (502 views)
Shortcut
Group shot [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen the shot of the goblins in one the film art books that came out on Tuesday? It's a great pic. They look positively creepy. Haven't seen the pic online though. Check it out if you happen into a bookstore. Cool stuff.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 7:40pm

Post #8 of 26 (476 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it's already available here (The Netherlands), but I will look out for it ;)
Might just affect my opinion in a positive way^^

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 7:43pm

Post #9 of 26 (528 views)
Shortcut
Gross and Creepy [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them! (although not nearly as much as the prosthetic Hunter orcs we saw a couple days ago)

and I dig that they look way different from LotR orcs. They definitely look like they'd be called "goblins" and have been inbred for generations. Sure, i'd prefer less CG and smooth looking creatures, but their design is cool and distinctive and I'll bet they have a lot of personality on screen!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 9:11pm

Post #10 of 26 (450 views)
Shortcut
I think the Misty Mountain orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Are infinitely more interesting, and Tolkienian, than the hunter "LOTR-style" orcs, which always got on my nerves. Peter, based on a quote in the Movie Guide, also said he was sick of the "skinny guy in prosthetics" look, and wanted to go with something more interesting.

Glad that PJ decided to go the creative route, rather than the nostalgic.

But to each his or her own!

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 9:26pm

Post #11 of 26 (426 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it's a mix. I'll take 'em both! [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 11:08pm

Post #12 of 26 (375 views)
Shortcut
Orcs/Goblins are one of those things EVERYONE imagines differently [In reply to] Can't Post

They're so broadly defined in the books that you can take their design pretty much anywhere. Just take a look at WETA's designs for them, particularly in The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring. Even Alan Lee's early concepts, which normally stick very close to Tolkien's descriptions, are so far removed from what they actually ended up being. I never minded their designs in LOTR (though the Uruk-hai were much better), but I really like what I'm seeing with these Misty Mountains goblins!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 4:02am

Post #13 of 26 (310 views)
Shortcut
prefer the look of the LOTR orcs and goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

most of these look a bit cartoonish IMO rather than the humanoid, realistic styled ones from the LOTR trilogy. Some look ok but others not so much...one kind of reminds me of Chunk from Goonies which is not a good thing Unsure

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Nov 10 2012, 4:03am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:05am

Post #14 of 26 (305 views)
Shortcut
But in numerous places [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien describes the orcs as having rather simian bodily features - hairy, long arms almost to the ground, and quite short. So if you're looking for closer to the author's intent, I think the Misty Mountains types are better than the "humans in suits" schtick.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 4:16am

Post #15 of 26 (317 views)
Shortcut
but theres a difference between just making them [In reply to] Can't Post

simian shaped and making them grotesque and disfigured. If they were more ape shaped I can see that, but all the unnatural growths and tumors just make them look more grotesque than anything. The goblins from Moria had that simian look to them and didn't have all those tumors and weird looking growths all over them that I remember, but they still looked like goblins from Tolkien's descriptions IMO

These new design's just seem a bit OTT to me.Unsure

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Nov 10 2012, 4:18am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 10 2012, 4:24am

Post #16 of 26 (303 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice the Moria orcs having unusually long arms and short legs [In reply to] Can't Post

They seemed to have very human proportions.

I agree that the "grotesquery" here is a bit overboard, but these guys simply look closer to my idea of orc and goblin, so some of the OTT stuff is easier to digest.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 10 2012, 5:36pm

Post #17 of 26 (235 views)
Shortcut
Can you point me to Tolkien's descriptions of orcs? [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly don't remember where they're described.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 10 2012, 5:38pm

Post #18 of 26 (248 views)
Shortcut
Grotesque goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

Please tell me the pun was deliberate. Cool

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2012, 6:49pm

Post #19 of 26 (200 views)
Shortcut
Theory: the Goblins of the Misty Mountains are descended from Sauron's army [In reply to] Can't Post

in the Second Age, which took refuge in the Mountains after the Battle of Dagorlad. If these Orcs/Goblins had been occupying the same series of caverns and tunnels for thousands of years and inbreeding for that long, by the time of TH it would no surprise that their gene pool had become this polluted! Tongue

Think I actually read this before, but can't remember how steeped in canon it was. Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2012, 2:44am

Post #20 of 26 (173 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly from the bonus material on the dvd's [In reply to] Can't Post

they based some of the goblin's /Orcs of Moria on deep sea fish and other darkness dwelling creatures. I'm not sure about proportions but i think I remember seeing some with longer arms and slightly strange builds but for the most part humanoid style bodies

Yes grotesque dave all the bubbling skin and the whole toxic avenger look... Just looks a bit OTT and unnecessary to me UnsureWink

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 11 2012, 9:06am

Post #21 of 26 (173 views)
Shortcut
No overall description, but various bits: [In reply to] Can't Post

some of which could be controversial, depending on interpretation: "Black", "slant-eyed" etc.

Common perception of orcs owes more to games like Dungeons and Dragons and Warhammer - especially olive green skin colour.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

imin
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 9:29am

Post #22 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
The best reference to them comes in Tolkien's Letters. [In reply to] Can't Post

'they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types'

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 5:34pm

Post #23 of 26 (152 views)
Shortcut
That's one description, though not from the books [In reply to] Can't Post

Descriptions including "long arms" and "bow-legged" are also quite common in the books.

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 11 2012, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 26 (135 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...how on earth are they derived from Elves? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be quite interesting to see the actual progression from Elf to Orc...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 11 2012, 7:31pm

Post #25 of 26 (134 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien never settled that they were [In reply to] Can't Post

It was PJ who made that definitive, with Saruman's statement to Lurtz in FOTR.

The origin, and nature of the orcs, was a source of much philosophical unease for Tolkien, and he never came to a conclusion. Personally, I think the "derived from beasts" rather than elves, is the least morally problematic scenario.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.