Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to our 7th Annual Homecoming Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 84 (534 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to our 7th Annual Homecoming Fiesta! Can't Post

Each year we hold a special Fiesta to welcome back TORn alumni, celebrate all the folks who are regulars here, and maybe even even lure out a lurker or two!

Feel free to tell some stories about your experience on TORn, express your excitement for the upcoming Hobbit trilogy, or even just talk about your past week and/or upcoming weekend; and, as always, please also feel free to choose your food/drink/music/etc.! :)

Altaira's Homecoming Fiesta Retrospective:

Homecoming Fiesta threads started in the last year of the first age of the message boards (a few months before the new boards came to be in February 2007). Board members took a vote and decided early- to mid-November [Friday nearest to Veteran's Day] would be a good time to have it because there aren’t any major holidays or Tolkien milestones around this time of year.

Sadly, we don’t get as many oldies as we used to because some of the oldies who used to alert other oldies have also sailed to the west. However, they all continue to be welcome here whether it be at Homecoming Fiesta time or any other time throughout the year.

2006 (1st Homecoming Fiesta): thread gets so big it crashes the boards. A 2nd thread is necessary to free things up. In Home Page news, there were rumors MGM was in talks with Peter Jackson to make two Hobbit movies. The Two Towers complete recordings were released.

2007 (2nd annual Homecoming): First Homecoming Fiesta on the new boards. The Home Page had also been updated after a major crash lasting several days. In Home Page news, the feud between New Line and PJ was delaying Hobbit talks. ROTK Complete recordings were released.

2008 (3rd annual Homecoming): By this Homecoming, we ‘knew’ PJ would produce The Hobbit and Guillermo Del Toro would direct, the Hobbit Movie board was new and the boards were approaching 3,000 new members.

2009 (4th annual Homecoming): FOTR at Radio City; Bilbo casting rumors abounded on the internet; Ian McKellen announced he has read the script for The Hobbit, and we were all looking forward to filming starting in the spring of 2010.

2010 (5th annual Homecoming): Del Toro is out and Jackson is *back* in. A number of major roles have been cast. The boards, especially the Hobbit board, are hopping, getting up to over 800 posts per day overall at times. The boards surpass 5500 registered users.

2011 (6th annual Homecoming): Filming is in full swing both in the studios and on locations all over NZ. The boards went crazy when images of the Dwarves and Bilbo were revealed. Jackson has just released his 4th video blog as he shares the progress of characters, sets and technology. At a random check, the boards had over 900 viewers in a 15-minute period and had exceeded 7,080 registered users!

2012 (7th annual Homecoming): The addition of a 3rd Hobbit movie, publishing the TORn Hobbit magazine, our shiny new Home Page, Hobbit trailers, MrCere on location during filming, we're only a few weeks away from the opening of the first movie, etc. Wow, what a fun 2012 we've had!

See everyone and many more at Homecoming 2013! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Nov 9 2012, 5:14pm)

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 84 (176 views)
Shortcut
Hello hello! Any root beers here? [In reply to] Can't Post

A certain magpie told me that today was homecoming, so I thought I'd stop by! My news is the usual-- been busy with school, particularly since I just applied to grad school (for a masters in education) last week, and I'll be hearing back in about a month or so. It's been keeping me on my toes! I've also been studying music composition recently, and got my first piece premiered last week (same day as my grad school application, actually), so it's been a little crazy. Again-- crazy as usual. Tongue

I got into a Tolkien class for next semester (my last semester here at university)-- I'll have to keep you guys posted on that!! It sounds like it's going to be fascinating-- we're reading LOTR, TH, the Sil, Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy Stories, some version of Beowulf (and essays on it), as well as the professor's translation of Gawain. And for our final project, we're allowed to design our own! Which leaves me very excited for all the possibilities, and totally uncertain as of what, exactly, to do. I'm sure I can probably get some ideas from here, though.

I can't wait to see everybody here-- cheers, Eventides, and have a wonderful weekend!
Smile

‎"If my tongue were trained to measures, I would sing a stirring song."
--Paul Tillich

Mozart and Chocolate

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 84 (173 views)
Shortcut
Of course! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you, Laerasëa! And wow, it sounds like your studies are going really well (and that Tolkien class sounds awesome)! :)

*gets root beer*

Hope you have a great weekend! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:18pm

Post #4 of 84 (203 views)
Shortcut
Serendipity! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just happened to get on the computer and here it is Fiesta Friday and Homecoming!

A hot chocolate is in order today!

We are having a sunny but cold day. The sun does make the cold easier to take; unless, of course, you are one of the poor people who doesn't have electricity.

I have had such a hard time remembering Fiesta Friday since OhioHobbit started working again. Our schedule is so screwed up! I haven't forgotten TORn -- just suffering from bad memory (it can't be old age). I am usually on about 5 a.m. and am doing some project (cleaning or fun) the rest of the day.

Hope lots of first agers come and say *Hi*!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 84 (181 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you. It seems like yesterday that you were leaving for college!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:23pm

Post #6 of 84 (166 views)
Shortcut
Glad you arrived! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets hot chocolate*

I hope you have a great weekend, Alcarcalime! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2012, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 84 (187 views)
Shortcut
How utterly cool and geeky is that [In reply to] Can't Post

to be able to take a Tolkien course - and get credit for it! Laugh I think I'm actually jealous! Wink

And best of luck for the grad school, I can't imagine any place not accepting you! Let us know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Menelwyn
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 5:24pm

Post #8 of 84 (175 views)
Shortcut
Second Ager coming home! [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't posted a lot in a while, but I've definitely been lurking around, following all the Hobbit stories, and I'm getting really excited! It's good to see everyone and meet all the new people!

Hot chocolate for me, please, as I head back to work!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:27pm

Post #9 of 84 (161 views)
Shortcut
Hi Menelwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you! :)

*gets hot chocolate*

I hope you have a great weekend!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2012, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 84 (188 views)
Shortcut
Just coffee, please. [In reply to] Can't Post

With your finest caffein! Laugh

Wow, Evey, it doesn't seem possible that it's been that long, and so much has happened. I was listening to the "teasers" for the Hobbit CD on CaptainSalt's link last night, and realizing: it's happening, it's almost here, we're returning for a fresh adventure...Cool

I have to head off, but first I'd like to raise a toast to our Founders, and to Peter and all those involved in the Hobbit production. May the hair on their toes never fall out! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 5:37pm

Post #11 of 84 (172 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been around since the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

But I must say that I already have many fond memories of this place. I look forward to the next couple of years. Smile I'm glad I finally de-lurked. And there's no better place than TORn. *raises glass to everyone*

I'm seeing family this weekend, and also going into London. I don't really want to say it, but .... I must start buying Christmas presents!Tongue

Have a great weekend everyone, and happy homecoming!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 5:38pm

Post #12 of 84 (176 views)
Shortcut
Happy Homecoming Everyone!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I hope we have some lost souls come back for a visit AND some lurkers come out of the shadows to play :)

I'm afraid this is a splash and dash day for me... but I'll DEFINITELY be back by Sunday to visit each and every one of you!

As far as The Hobbit goes... *yawn* I'M FREAKING OUT! I got my tickets for the midnight show where I'm hosting my first-ever line party and a ticket for a LotR marathon the weekend before that.

SO FUN!

As for what it's been like for me to have a home here at TORn... no words can describe what a blessing this place has been and is for me. It's given me inspiration to be creative, adventuresome, and a monstrous jabber-jaw!

*hugs to one and all*

I'll just snag some go-go juice today. I really have a crazy-busy couple of days ahead of me!

Thanks Evey! You're a jooll :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:41pm

Post #13 of 84 (155 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

*gets finest-caffeine coffee :) *

I know! I still can't believe it's been just about 10 years since I discovered Tolkien (and TORn!). :)

*joins in toast*

Hope you have a great weekend, dernwyn!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:45pm

Post #14 of 84 (161 views)
Shortcut
Hey DanielLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always said that TORn was the best board on the 'net, too-- it's so welcoming!

*pours drink-of-choice*

Best of luck with the Christmas shopping :) , and I hope you have a great weekend!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Nov 9 2012, 5:45pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 9 2012, 5:50pm

Post #15 of 84 (171 views)
Shortcut
Happy Homecoming one and all! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've had to do recently, I'm rushing in here, greeting everyone, grabbing a pumpkin spice latte, and rushing away again so I can get back to work. However---the end of task is nigh and soon I'll be able to breathe again!

My best regards to TORnsibs old and new. Huggles, as gramma would say. Smile Evil Heart

And a big thank you to our lovely barkeep. *stuffs tip jar with used pixels and hand-written scribbles*

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:51pm

Post #16 of 84 (150 views)
Shortcut
Hey gramma! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Hobbit plans sound awesome! :D And I completely agree with your sentiments on TORn-- it really is the best, isn't it? :)

*hands over to-go cup, hugs back*

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, gramma!

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 5:54pm

Post #17 of 84 (154 views)
Shortcut
Oh, it's just fantastic. Isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I lurk in other forums (not Tolkien related). But of all the places, TORn has the best atmosphere.

Everything from the admins, to the regulars, the non-regulars, the funny threads, the quality of discussions, and to the overall friendliness of everyone. We have a unique community here.Smile

Do you have any plans for the weekend Eventides? Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:56pm

Post #18 of 84 (153 views)
Shortcut
And to you as well, Lily! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

*hands out another to-go cup*

Hope your work goes well, and hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

divine hobbit
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 5:56pm

Post #19 of 84 (172 views)
Shortcut
home indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm recently back after a hiatus of a couple of years (blame it on having kids, finishing grad school and moving cross country). I think I first found TORN either just before or just after FOTR hit the theaters, and was active on the boards through after ROTK. Met several lovely people here (Greendragon I'm talking about you!) and joined line parties and such. It's always been a place where I've found 'my people.' Some of my favorite memories were around captioning pics, pervy hobbit fanciers and the whole Figwit phenomenon. Anywhoo, I'll take a hot tea with honey and lemon as I'm battling a nasty cold. Cheers!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:00pm

Post #20 of 84 (145 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

As for my weekend, I don't have any special plans; though it's possible that I may end up doing some gift shopping, as well. :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 84 (147 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, divine hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

And LOL, oh those threads... :D

*gets out the tea, honey, and lemon*

Hope you get well soon, and hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

ShyElf
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 6:08pm

Post #22 of 84 (157 views)
Shortcut
Well - I haven't here for long [In reply to] Can't Post

..nor have I been very active of late. But I do love to spend lots of time reading and keeping up when I can.

And I think I'll have a nice hot coffee, thank you!

I lurked for y-e-a-r-s and finally joined up in a few years back. I still read way more then I post - but I must say that I enjoy each of you as much as I did when I only lurked. So friendly (and interesting, and fun!)

My health took a turn for the worse a little over a year ago, but I still get lots of encouragement and friendly pats on the back from you folk! Cheers to you all! <raises coffee cup>

I got my Hobbit movie tickets yesterday!!! I am so excited! No line parties have been organized up here in the Great White North unfortunately - and if my health was better, I'd consider organizing one - but as it stands, Mr. ShyElf and I will catch the December 13th late night viewing at our local theatre. (again - so excited!!) If ShyElf The Younger isn't overwhelmed with her film project that is due early the next week - she'll take Mr. ShyElf's place (he is such a great dad!). She didn't want to get a ticket in case it's impossible for her to go (she is a film major at a local arts high school and she's got a 60 second film due and she is hand animating it. She did this last year as well - and well - let me tell you, I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to find her still working on this film almost every day during the last week before it was due.) Film making is hard work!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:18pm

Post #23 of 84 (147 views)
Shortcut
Hey ShyElf! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to see you around! :) And wow, that filmmaking project sounds intense-- hope she does well!

*gets coffee*

Hope you feel better, and hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Zmulady
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 6:25pm

Post #24 of 84 (177 views)
Shortcut
Hi everyone! Happy Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

A little bird also told me that today would be a good day to check in. I have been away from the boards on purpose because I want to be completely surprised when I go see the movie NEXT MONTH. I can't wait to get back and discuss it with you all. I love TORn! Not much new in my small section of the world, and maybe that is a good thing. The weather has been good here and I am very thankful for that. However, I have a Minnesota winter on it's way and all the yuck that comes with it. I hope everyone here at TORn is doing well. Can't wait to talk about the movie!

Smile -Zmulady

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:33pm

Post #25 of 84 (156 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Zmulady! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for checking in! *gets drink-of-choice*

(And BTW, I have to say that I love that picture you have in your footer. :D )

Hope you have a great weekend! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Nov 9 2012, 6:34pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.