Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Tickets soar to #1.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 49 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Tickets soar to #1. Can't Post

Some exciting news... great to see the support!

Click here for the the article from Deadline.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 49 (562 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't expect anything less! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it breaks the record on its opening weekend too.Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:13pm

Post #3 of 49 (537 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:14pm

Post #4 of 49 (549 views)
Shortcut
I scratch my head when people say things like "I don't think this movie will do very well at the box office" [In reply to] Can't Post

Excuse me? This movie is going to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars (possibly passing $1 billion).

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 49 (548 views)
Shortcut
It's nice but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno how much it really means. It was the 1st day rush from hardcore fans. If it continues to do well in the next weeks, like Twilight who is at the top or near top continuously, then we might be in store for a really big opening.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:19pm

Post #6 of 49 (530 views)
Shortcut
I'm rooting for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoping that it will be incredible storytelling, beautiful imagery, wonderful acting... all in all... great execution... great movie making.

If those things happen it will be monumental... could break Avatar's record.

While money is obviously not the determining factor of what makes something great (indeed some great movies haven't done so well at the box office), I'm one that hopes for both.

That PJ and Company are blessed with huge reward for an amazing movie. I hope fans are blessed with an amazing experience.

Smile

(This post was edited by Owain on Nov 9 2012, 5:20pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:21pm

Post #7 of 49 (556 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sure, $1b billion is very likely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, i would be very disappointed if it doesn't reach $1b. But i want more. Wink

I'd love for it to beat Avengers worldwide. That's gonna be tough. Now, you might ask yourself, who cares? Well, it's like with sports, you want your team to win the year. Wink

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:27pm

Post #8 of 49 (532 views)
Shortcut
It's not gonna come close to Avatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look, i would love for that to happen but it's just not happening. Avatar is in a league of its own. LOTR was pretty much everything you listed, critical acclaim, awesome word of mouth, oscars, yet each movie didn't sell nearly as many tickets as Avatar.

In Reply To
If those things happen it will be monumental... could break Avatar's record.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:31pm

Post #9 of 49 (514 views)
Shortcut
And that's ok for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said... while I'm rooting for it's success, having the best numbers obviously doesn't make a great movie.

In terms of priority, I certainly want it to be a great movie first... but I share your desire in wanting to see it succeed financially, so that the second and third movies will benefit as a result...

I don't envision box office failure at all... but I hold the opinion that it could beat Avatar.

Smile

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Nov 9 2012, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 49 (499 views)
Shortcut
it will do very well for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it will break some record for biggest opening weekend of all time and it should continue to do well through the holidays.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:41pm

Post #11 of 49 (485 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hold the opinion that it could beat Avatar.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 5:42pm

Post #12 of 49 (494 views)
Shortcut
I have got to order mine soon, but to which theatre...? [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:42pm

Post #13 of 49 (484 views)
Shortcut
In some european countries possibly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sure it will break some record for biggest opening weekend of all time

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 5:45pm

Post #14 of 49 (471 views)
Shortcut
I think it could do that in the US too// [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 5:47pm

Post #15 of 49 (471 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not AUJ, but definitely TABA. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 5:54pm

Post #16 of 49 (505 views)
Shortcut
will almost certainly break $1billion [In reply to] Can't Post

its got the inflated ticket prices from being not only in 3D but also IMAX meaning these tickets will be $23 each, for one 3d, imax adult ticket(child ticket is $19)! so in one showing at my local cinema if everyone was an adult they would be making $57,500 and that is for one screening! This would mean they need an average of 17,391 jam packed screenings of 2500 people all full price adults (or 19,221 if half adults, half kids). There will be roughly 4000 screens for opening night so theoretically if they were all 2500 like my local cinema and charged the same as ripoff Britain they would each only need to show it 5 times to break a billion! Thats over a billion before the weekend has even started!

Ok is not going to happen, but just think how much films could rake in if they all used 3d and imax and British ticket prices!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 5:59pm

Post #17 of 49 (453 views)
Shortcut
No way... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to sound arrogant but i know a thing or two about box office, it's one of my hobbies. There's no way AUJ comes anywhere close to Avengers' $207m North American bow. Or let me rephrase it, it would be a HUGE surprise. Decembers are not known for generating huge opening weekends and while Hobbit is anticipated, sword & sorcery is not as big in the USA as comic books.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 6:00pm

Post #18 of 49 (448 views)
Shortcut
Do we want that though? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we really want The Hobbit compared to Twilight in any shape way or form?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:02pm

Post #19 of 49 (479 views)
Shortcut
In terms of tickets sold, hype, box office? Sure, why not? // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 6:03pm

Post #20 of 49 (442 views)
Shortcut
my guess is $1.3 billion [In reply to] Can't Post

Like yourself i dont think it will come too close to the avengers domestic figures - internationally i think it will be around the same or just a little less.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:06pm

Post #21 of 49 (435 views)
Shortcut
A good guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

But i think it can beat Avengers internationally (worldwide minus North America), considering ROTK made almost $750m internationally 9 years ago without 3D prices.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 9 2012, 6:07pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 6:10pm

Post #22 of 49 (429 views)
Shortcut
Wow ROTK rocked it internationally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah i might have to revise my prediction, lol.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 6:19pm

Post #23 of 49 (426 views)
Shortcut
I hate to be devil's advocate here [In reply to] Can't Post

But I get the feeling the BO will not be a big as fans are hoping for. It's been 9 years since Return of the King. There's a whole generation of teens that have grown up on 9 years of other (mostly worse) film franchises. Chances are they've never seen the Trilogy.

As much as we hate to admit it, that age bracket is where the real money is coming from these days: American teens who think Transformers and The Hunger Games are the greatest thing committed to film.

Will they care about three movies where a short, hairy-footed man goes on a quest with thirteen other short men and a gray-bearded geezer? (that's not how I feel about the film. I'm just speculating that's what the kids think when they see the trailers). Who knows, but I kind of doubt it.

And it definitely won't beat out the Avengers. That juggernnaut has the advantage of hyper built up by the individual Marvel Studios movies. The LOTR franchise has been taking it easy these last few years save for the occasional video game, and those aren't enough to raise awareness over what are ostensibly the Trilogy's prequels.

I don't know why I'm even arguing this, though. In this day and age where 3D releases boost ticket sales and films live and die by hype, the arguments about what films will dominate the box office is kind of moot. We should jut appreciate the film for what it is and let the Hollywood execs worry about the ticket sales.

(This post was edited by easterlingchief1 on Nov 9 2012, 6:29pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2012, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 49 (388 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't even sell that many more tickets than FOTR or TTT but the exchange rates were more favorable, i.e. the US dollar lost worth relatively to some of the foreign currencies. As you can see, there are many factors affecting a gross.

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 6:36pm

Post #25 of 49 (377 views)
Shortcut
Do you know how well they did [In reply to] Can't Post

if you adjust for inflation compared to the other movies in the all time list?

Isn't gone with the wind the highest grossing movie of all time if you factor in inflation?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.