Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
30 sec longer preview of Niel Finn's Song of the Lonely Mountain!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ecliptica
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 11:30am

Post #1 of 95 (1914 views)
Shortcut
30 sec longer preview of Niel Finn's Song of the Lonely Mountain! Can't Post

It sounds great!Smile

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB6S2UEWj_0

Chopsta123
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 11:56am

Post #2 of 95 (967 views)
Shortcut
awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't stop litening to it!

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 12:04pm

Post #3 of 95 (998 views)
Shortcut
I don't particularly like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I know I'm very much in the minority. Smile

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 12:05pm

Post #4 of 95 (937 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds/feels indigenous to the Dwarven culture.Cool

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 9 2012, 12:06pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 12:11pm

Post #5 of 95 (909 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

A little jarring on first listen but it quickly grows on you. Neil's done a fantastic job with this (with credit also of course to Plan 9 and Tolkien!).

Antalasse
The Shire

Nov 9 2012, 12:17pm

Post #6 of 95 (911 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting the link!

It's even hard to explain why I like it so much. I guess, it brings back all the fond memories I have of reading Tolkien for the first time and finding people who love his work as much as I do.

...in every wood in every spring there is a different green...(c)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 12:45pm

Post #7 of 95 (884 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not very fond of it either.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 12:55pm

Post #8 of 95 (856 views)
Shortcut
What don't you like about it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 1:08pm

Post #9 of 95 (874 views)
Shortcut
It sounds to modern... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess. Doesn't really match with Middle Earth in my opinion. Plus, it does sound like it is somewhat meant to be a Dwarven theme song, but then I would have liked something like ''Pride of the Dwarves'' much more!

EDIT:
And the chore sounds somewhat Native American, which is not bad at all, but totally out of place in Middle Earth!

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Nov 9 2012, 1:10pm)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 9 2012, 1:30pm

Post #10 of 95 (809 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, it's somehow simultaneously too modern and slightly dated. The kind of cheesy tune one leaves a cinema to instead of something I might stick around to hear (but that's obviously purely a taste thing).

It also sounds very Native American to me and, like you say, completely out of place in this mythology. It wouldn't be out of place at the end of a Hollywood road movie.

But it's really not a big deal. Smile

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 1:54pm

Post #11 of 95 (784 views)
Shortcut
I got Pacific Islander rather than Native American [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably a salute to New Zealand's Maori.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2012, 1:55pm

Post #12 of 95 (806 views)
Shortcut
Not my cup of tea either, but then I didn't like the Enya business with FOTR for that matter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 1:57pm

Post #13 of 95 (773 views)
Shortcut
Spot on. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have pacific islander (Tongan) Blood which is why it seems familiar somehow.It's still distinctive to Dwarven culture though.Wink
I also thought the Uruk-Hai were based on Moari culture.The motifs and face paint.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 9 2012, 2:01pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 9 2012, 2:46pm

Post #14 of 95 (717 views)
Shortcut
I'm Just too " Justin Bieber" for me//// [In reply to] Can't Post

irodino
Bree

Nov 9 2012, 3:05pm

Post #15 of 95 (683 views)
Shortcut
I find this touch of modern is spot on [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire book is written in this manner, the modern Bilbo is thrown into an ancient world. So it is only appropriate to have a song like this, with a touch of modern tunes. I find it very unique, with the sounds of dwarves working in a mine and singing. The voice of Neil is magnificent, both modern pop-like and yet I swear it could be sung 1000 years ago and not be out of place. This may actually be the best credit song yet. It brings you the sense of wonder and adventure, like the book. I cant stop listening to it myself after being a little underwhelmed by the other clips. Some 12 years ago when I listened to the preview of the FOTR soundtrack, and I heard the "In Dreams" fragment "When the seas and mountains fall, and we come to end of days.. etc." and the slow majestic version of the Fellowship theme, I knew the movies will make history. I felt it just from the music. So different than anything else. And they did. Now I feel the same listening to the Song of the Lonely Mountain.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that terrible in-between."

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 4:17pm

Post #16 of 95 (620 views)
Shortcut
Better than Gollum's Song [In reply to] Can't Post

I cant remember being more disappointed with credits music than when I heard Emiliana Torrini's squeaky voice over the particularly nice theme. UnimpressedUnsureCrazy I made that exact progression of facial expressions haha

I agree, with the poster that called it "a song you walk out listening to" instead of "sitting and listening to it all." It's not bad, but it's not an epic like May It Be or Into the West. As soon as I saw that it was a male performing the song, I figured they'd be going for something totally different, a completely different type of song. I'm glad I listened to it beforehand so I could appropriately adjust my expectations. I may even end up liking it, now that I know not to expect Enya's majesty.

Gonna stick to the old mantra "Blah blah blah, 'The Hobbit' is a smaller, more adventurous fantasy movie, it's different in tone, it's not an epic" and deal with it. I hope we get something truly remarkable for TABA!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 9 2012, 4:19pm

Post #17 of 95 (600 views)
Shortcut
Gotta hear the whole thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Before I decide how I feel about it. My initial is its ok but may be the weakest of the lyrical songs we've heard.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 9 2012, 4:24pm

Post #18 of 95 (603 views)
Shortcut
No, no, much worse than Gollum's song! [In reply to] Can't Post

In my view at least. But all just personal preference I hasten to add.

LR

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 4:28pm

Post #19 of 95 (605 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I think this goes one better than any of the others... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a song you can walk out singing.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 9 2012, 4:28pm

Post #20 of 95 (589 views)
Shortcut
I've not listened to it [In reply to] Can't Post

But I really dislike Gollum's song. Should I be worried?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:30pm

Post #21 of 95 (587 views)
Shortcut
Dont like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont like the modern easy listening vibe. Its a bit like stuff you would hear on the front desk of a cheap country motel. Truly underwhelming. Mad

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Nov 9 2012, 4:31pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:30pm

Post #22 of 95 (583 views)
Shortcut
There is clearly a difference of opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this one is by far the best of the credits music. I found "May it Be" ok, "Into the West" tolerable-to-meh, and "Gollum's Song" unpleasant. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 4:31pm

Post #23 of 95 (584 views)
Shortcut
or in a ski lodge in Colorado ;) hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 4:33pm

Post #24 of 95 (579 views)
Shortcut
oh dear, [In reply to] Can't Post

now I got images of dried flowers and avocado green bath suites. Unsure

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 9 2012, 4:35pm

Post #25 of 95 (569 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I was already a fan of Enya, so I was predisposed to like "Let it Be". "Into the West" is a good song, but Annie Lennox has a slightly hard edge to here voice. My feelings about Gollum's Song fluctuates, but my wife hates it.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.