Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2012, 5:55pm

Post #1 of 14 (239 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

And we have walked 5,000 miles
And we have walked 5,000 more
Just to be the ones who've walked 10,000 miles
Since we left Bilbo's door
(apologies to the Proclaimers)

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 56.75
Cumulative miles: 10001.49
Miles along the journey: 666.77
Miles out of Rivendell: 269.77

I figured it out: we're well over halfway there on our journey, about 7190 miles to go. That's figuring the rest of our journey out to the Lonely Mountain (about 4504 miles using our Hobbit-Wizard-13Dwarves multiplier) and back (about 1098 miles, using the Hobbit-Wizard-Shapechanger multiplier to Beorn's house, and the Hobbit-Wizard multiplier from there to Bilbo's comfy Hobbit Hole). Woohoo!

And it's time to say goodbye to Beorn's ponies, and Gandalf. He's still part of our mileage multiplier, though, since I rather suspect he's still gallivanting about... somewhere...

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 5
Cumulative miles: 405
Goal: There and Back Again!

My treadmill and my schedule are not playing nicely these days. Harrumph. But leaf-raking is fun, active, and a to-do list item!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 3
Cumulative miles: 401
Goal: Group Challenge

Dance, as usual, for Beamer this week.

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 6:43pm

Post #2 of 14 (164 views)
Shortcut
Three long weeks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings fellow walkers, runners, hikers, spelunkers, skydivers, bungee-jumpers, horseback riders, treadmillers, ellipitcaters, rakers, shovelers and exercisers from the four corners of Middle-Earth. I seem to have lost track of time - it really has been 3 weeks, so my mileage is higher than a usual check-in, but lower than my weekly average. I'm playing my "What happens in Vegas" card today, so don't ask. Tongue I will say that the Hoover Dam is massive (well worth the drive) and the new bridge over the Colorado River was a sight to behold.

No 5k's to speak of, just some random walking, circuit training and several laps on a new indoor course I have found. Much better than the old treadmill. My next race will be on Thanksgiving morning, a 5 miler - one of only two I subject myself to each year. So, I'll be upping the laps to get ready for that one.

Other than that, just living the dream here in flyover country with my 2.1 kids, gearing up for Little D's basketball season and getting rid of the last of that blasted popcorn.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Miles covered since last check-in: 57.2
Cumulative miles: 1100.7
Goal: There and Back Again!

After scoping out Bilbo's map, we are headed NE. The northern edge of Mirkwood lies in the near distance, with the Grey Mountains looming far off. It was very cold this morning and we are looking forward to a nice warm fire after a long hike today. Beorn was in charge of the S'mores, but apparently someone couldn't stay out of the marshmallows. Kind of takes the fun out of it, but I'll still eat the chocolate.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ShyElf
Lorien

Nov 9 2012, 6:34pm

Post #3 of 14 (223 views)
Shortcut
Go Team! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to have to be your cheerleader on the sidelines for a while (but I truly don't think I can top Arandiel's Proclaimers song/cheer!) Ha!

Well done TORn! Well done! Over 10,000 miles!

And I know you guys would have never made it without my 57 mile contribution!!! Tongue

Miles covered since my last post: 0 <sigh>
Cumulative Miles: 57
Goal: There and back again!

But - I will say I am properly excited about the Hobbit movie now that I have my tickets! Can't wait!!!!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Iolani
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 14 (130 views)
Shortcut
OW [In reply to] Can't Post

OH my gosh...I did today's mileage, walking in winds going 30 mph...and I'll be honest...my rear end and legs HURT! So here's this week's mileage...ow....Pirate

miles: 25
cumulative: 766.7
goal: There and Back again group challenge!

Hope everyone has had a good week, and the next one is even better! Keep going guys!HeartSly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Nov 10 2012, 11:17pm

Post #5 of 14 (120 views)
Shortcut
Week 2. [In reply to] Can't Post

Miles covered this week: 15.07
Cumulative miles: 21.82
Goal: I'll donate these 2012 miles to the Group Challenge.
Today's weight: 289.45 (Down from max of 293)

I'm just doing this for fun. My goal is to walk from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain in 2013. I'm only counting actual outdoor walking/hiking miles.

'It is ever so with the things that Men begin: there is a frost in Spring, or a blight in Summer, and they fail of their promise.' ... '[Yet their seed] will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 1:16am

Post #6 of 14 (117 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!! We be chooglin' on down the road! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woohoo!! Well done Fellow Travellers! One step in front of the other.... they all add up! And it's all thanks to you, Arandiel, to keep us on the move. *bows deeply* YOU DID GOOD!

I haven't been moving around as much this past week since I'm working on a couple of projects that have kept me nailed to the pc for many many hours... but I do get up to rake the 24 wheetbarrows full of black walnuts that have fallen from my 40 ft tree, fixed the gutters, repaired a couple of windows... ala that stuff that needs to be done before the hard weather hits.

Beorn, Bilbo, Gandalf and I have finally left all of Mirkwood behind has we turn towards the last leg of our jouney and in a straight line to Beorn's home :) Many of his friends accompany us now as we make our way... which fascinates and comforts Bilbo. He thought he was part of a strange Company before! Well this lot includes companions with 4 legs, 2 legs, wings and fur.

We're also 5 weeks from the release of The Hobbit!! OMG! It's off there in the distance and getting closer every day!!

Cheers to one and all! Stay safe and well... and I'll see you on the road!!

Miles covered: 18
Cumulated miles: 1447
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go: 5 until December 14, 2012

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 10:27am

Post #7 of 14 (79 views)
Shortcut
Not asking! Not asking! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you enjoyed the bridges of your trip ;) Sounds like the rest of Vegas threw down its dragon-spell on ya! But I'm happy that you're home safe and sound and ready for yet another race!! Now... when you prep by running laps... running in circles?... does that make it hard for you to run in a straight line during the race? ;)

WOOHOO on seeing the Grey Mountains coming up. I've heard Beorn only knows how to make s'mores with honey. *ponders* That sounds weird... so the chocolate is definitely safer.

Have a great week!!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 10:28am

Post #8 of 14 (73 views)
Shortcut
Howdy ShyElf! [In reply to] Can't Post

We need all the good mojo we can get!! And you 57 (soon-to-be-plus ;) miles is absolutely a great help! You'll be racking up the miles in no time :) In the meantime... have a fantastic week, m'dear!

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2012, 10:31am

Post #9 of 14 (96 views)
Shortcut
Ow and Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm sorry your aching and paining... that 30mph sounds like it really helped with your workout! Pain means gain, I guess... but it's definitely not making this fun for you!

Well Done on the miles! I hope the rest of your week takes it easy on you ;)

CHEERS!

sample

Unused Scenes

Iolani
Rivendell

Nov 12 2012, 1:06pm

Post #10 of 14 (93 views)
Shortcut
thanks ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the support. And well done to everyone! It's so encouraging to see everyone working hard. And it IS amazing that The Hobbit is so close!! YAY!!!! Laugh
You have a walnut tree? Cool! Sometimes I wish we had a nut tree, because nuts are so expensive. My friends in Alabama, their grandparents have pecan trees. And pecans are so expensive over here! I can't imagine all the pies that could be made from a good nut season! Whoo!Smile

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 12 2012, 2:08pm

Post #11 of 14 (109 views)
Shortcut
He's not saying much. [In reply to] Can't Post

The marshmallows kind of mysteriously disappeared. It may be Spring before I get to Beorn's house, and I don't expect that you can wait around that long. I'd say look for us by Rivendell. Cool

Oh, it was a great time. Just a bit too smokey for my taste, but other than that, fun fun fun!

It's NOT a circle - it's a slightly truncated square. Tongue And they rotate the running direction every day so people can even out their equilibrium. In any case, I hit the pavement yesterday AM for a crisp 4 mile jog. I really need to do more of those.

Have a great day!

D

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 12 2012, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 14 (81 views)
Shortcut
Key words, there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good nut season. I think I got to taste the pecans from my own back yard once. Now the squirrels get the few good ones still on the tree. And as for walnuts, a curse on the next squirrel who plants one among my flowers or in the shrubs! Even if it's a black walnut. Walnuts are for baking and candy-making, not for developing your shoveling and uprooting muscles! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Iolani
Rivendell

Nov 13 2012, 12:11pm

Post #13 of 14 (86 views)
Shortcut
ha ha [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone who lives in a place where the weeds have to mighty determined, I understand exactly what you mean. I would get on my nerves. A good waste of pie potential! (Although squirrels are cute...I think I just might throw something at them in that regard)! Cool

Iolani
Rivendell

Nov 18 2012, 12:30am

Post #14 of 14 (145 views)
Shortcut
this week's mileage [In reply to] Can't Post

...housework. But it gets in the calorie burn. Wink Here is this week's mileage! Hope everyone has had a great week.

this week: 14.2
cumulative: 780.9
goal: there and back again challenge!

Keep going strong everyone!!HeartSly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.