Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Weekly poetry thread.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 1:33pm

Views: 200
Shortcut
Weekly poetry thread. Can't Post

Time to pick one of your favorite poems again and post it here.

This week I'm going with John Ciardi. I grew up with his book "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You". I have most of the poems in there memorized. A couple of weeks ago several people posted some rather dream-like poems, and many of his are like that. It's hard to choose just one, but here's one that's always haunted me a bit. I'm typing from memory.

My Horse Jack
by John Ciardi

My horse Jack ran off to sea.
In ten years he came back to me
With a smell of salt and a smell of tar
And three little sea-horses swimming in a jar.

And he ate my oats, and he ate my hay,
And he did no work, and all he'd say
Was, "I met my love when the sea was blue.
I loved her, and she loved me true.

I lost my love when the sea was black.
She swam away and she never swam back.
So I tucked my babies into a jar,
And here I am, and here they are."

And he ate my oats, and he ate my hay,
And he did no work, and that's all he'd say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Subject User Time
Weekly poetry thread. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 8 2012, 1:33pm
    Frost batik Send a private message to batik Nov 8 2012, 4:00pm
        Sweet and sad. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 8 2012, 8:30pm
        I'd forgotten that it was in The Outsiders! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Nov 9 2012, 12:45am
        lovelovelove this poem divine hobbit Send a private message to divine hobbit Nov 9 2012, 5:12pm
    not strictly a poem.... Ciars Send a private message to Ciars Nov 8 2012, 6:44pm
        I like that a lot! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 8 2012, 8:28pm
    An interesting poem! Ciars Send a private message to Ciars Nov 8 2012, 7:01pm
    Country School Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Nov 8 2012, 8:00pm
        What a great word-picture! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 8 2012, 8:25pm
    All the poems here are really good today, IMO!! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Nov 9 2012, 12:43am
        that's "Names" by Dorothy Aldis // Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 9 2012, 2:19am
            Thanks! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Nov 9 2012, 11:42pm
    This one has a lot of meaning for me Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 9 2012, 2:13am
        I especially like this line: Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 12:19am
            me too Annael Send a private message to Annael Nov 10 2012, 3:13am
                This was my tribe: Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 2:04pm
    Wild Grapes - Robert Frost Tintallė Send a private message to Tintallė Nov 9 2012, 3:12am
        Beautiful. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 12:22am
    a fall haiku Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 9 2012, 3:28am
        Very visual! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 12:24am
    The Patience of Ordinary Things divine hobbit Send a private message to divine hobbit Nov 9 2012, 5:16pm
        Thanks for sharing this one! wendy woo Send a private message to wendy woo Nov 9 2012, 11:41pm
        I first heard this one from the pulpit too. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 12:25am
            okay you're freaking me out divine hobbit Send a private message to divine hobbit Nov 10 2012, 1:06am
                Well, Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 2:32am
                    Oh, I know some good divine hobbit Send a private message to divine hobbit Nov 10 2012, 3:00am
                        Do you ever do anything Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 4:18am
                            Anglican rosary's rock divine hobbit Send a private message to divine hobbit Nov 13 2012, 5:26pm
                                I'm glad to hear about your experiences. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 13 2012, 6:01pm
    One of my grandmother's favorites, plus a Poet Laureate below that. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Nov 9 2012, 11:21pm
        I'll have to look at these later :-) // Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 12:26am
            Aaack! I forgot to make them into links. Runs off to find an admin . . . // Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Nov 10 2012, 1:24am
                Golf links? Cuff links? Missing links? // dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Nov 10 2012, 2:28am
                    Furry spotted predator. Just spelled it wrong. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Nov 10 2012, 3:27am
        I especially love these lines: Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Nov 10 2012, 4:14am
            Yes, it kind of took my breath away Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Nov 10 2012, 5:00am
    Always enjoyed this one, for the simplicity Radhruin Send a private message to Radhruin Nov 10 2012, 5:18am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.