Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
1 Minute Preview of all tracks of the Hobbit SE Soundtrack.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

MTRougeau
Bree

Nov 8 2012, 4:16am

Post #1 of 163 (6033 views)
Shortcut
1 Minute Preview of all tracks of the Hobbit SE Soundtrack. Can't Post

MASSIVE Spoilers after the link.

http://www.qobuz.com/...-shore/0794043163920

(This post was edited by MTRougeau on Nov 8 2012, 4:24am)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 4:26am

Post #2 of 163 (2508 views)
Shortcut
Chills during the extended Misty Mountains preview [In reply to] Can't Post

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 4:30am

Post #3 of 163 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Simply STUNNING [In reply to] Can't Post

I had chills during several moments of those samples.

I've counted eight themes/motifs from LOTR so far:

Rivendell
Lothlorien
The Shire
The Descending Third
Nature's Reclamation
Mordor
Gollum's Menace
5/4 rhythm for the Orcs

And of course there are snippets of new motifs, including the "Misty Mountains" melody from the first trailer

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 4:39am

Post #4 of 163 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'll just take a little listen, you know, sample one or two, and then leave the rest for when I watch the film...hahahahaha! 15 minutes of previews down, 17 more to go! Thank you for this!

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 4:51am

Post #5 of 163 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Sounds like Howard Shore's done it again. Thanks for the link! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Heard bits of the Erebor theme throughout (and the eponymous track has bagpipes, lads/lasses)! And seems like the skittering/spidery motif first heard in Radagast the Brown represents the Necromancer/Dol Guldur?

And BTW, listen for the Moth's motif in "Out of Frying Pan"...yup, according to the storybook, the Moth is back baby! WinkTongue

Niel Finn's "Song of the Lonely Mountain" sounds great (if somewhat busy) from what I can hear!

Anyone know of a way to download this as a single track? It would be very much appreciated! Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 8 2012, 4:53am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 4:54am

Post #6 of 163 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else hearing the slight cues taken from the cartoon version? [In reply to] Can't Post

If there's one thing the cartoon version did right, it was some of the music. It had a very "old fashioned fantasy" feel to it. I can certainly hear some of that style going on here. Especially in "Song of the Lonely Mountain".

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 4:54am

Post #7 of 163 (2360 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore has successfully brought us back to Middle Earth for Round 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

*typing while crying tears of joy*

When I couldn't help listening to the Radagast The Brown track, I kept telling myself that Radagast deserves a theme that sounds this strange. However, I began to fear that this strangeness would carry over to the rest of the soundtrack and that Shore would give us something that wouldn't sound like it came from Middle Earth.

When Old Friends was released, again I couldn't resist listening as I did not want to wait 5 weeks to see what style Shore would end up using. I realized that my fears regarding the style of the music were unnecessary and I was instantly brought back to ME.

'But wait', I wondered, 'would Shore be able to create new themes that didn't rely on previous LOTR themes that would be able to bring me back to ME unlike the Radagast The Brown track?

I limited my listening to these previews to only about 10 seconds from several tracks, but what I heard was already too much for me to handle. :) Even if the Hobbit fails to make me love it as a film, at least I know I'll enjoy Shore's music irregardless

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 4:57am

Post #8 of 163 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well done.

We'll see how it works with images and sounds!

Bagheera
The Shire

Nov 8 2012, 5:00am

Post #9 of 163 (2394 views)
Shortcut
Blunt the Knives [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just about perfect. I never had that tune in my head for it before, and yet it seems like the truest tune for it.

Enjoy the trailer for my fantasy novel:
We Kill Death

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 5:01am

Post #10 of 163 (2388 views)
Shortcut
Erebor/The Dwarf Lords is our new epic theme (secondary "big" theme seems to be MM heard in "Edge of the Wild") [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 5:03am

Post #11 of 163 (2348 views)
Shortcut
Radagast skittering motif [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And seems like the skittering/spidery motif first heard in Radagast the Brown represents the Necromancer/Dol Guldur?

I think you're right. Definitely heard it in "Hill of Sorcery"

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 5:08am

Post #12 of 163 (2298 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it's for the Necromancer himself [In reply to] Can't Post

Shore's compositional style is much too narrative-based to NOT make a connection between the Necromancer and Sauron in the music. It's mind-blogging how many connections there are throughout the LOTR music. Because of that, I don't think the motif is associated with the Necromancer. But surely it's a motif for something since it's reprised...we just don't know what yet. Spiders make sense though.

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 5:13am

Post #13 of 163 (2335 views)
Shortcut
In The Adventure Begins... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hearing that reworked shortcut to mushrooms theme was amazing and such a perfect fit for Bilbo frantically running out of his door.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 5:26am

Post #14 of 163 (2264 views)
Shortcut
I agree we'll probably hear the Mordor theme used prominently [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wonder if they want it to be a surprise for the general audience that the Necro and Sauron are one in the same, and if so, wouldn't using the Mordor theme before the big "revelation" be a tip-off? Then again, the mass audience may not necessarily connect the the two (or remember the Mordor music for that matter).

But you may be right, perhaps this is the new spider motif (and we'll be seeing the Necromancer's pets in the ruined fortress)?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 5:29am

Post #15 of 163 (2245 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the Dwarves chant this at whomever's house they happen to be dining in, and simply substitute the name? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Will we get a rousing reprisal with Elrond and Beorn? Tongue

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 5:36am

Post #16 of 163 (2346 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Into the Wild: amazing
2. Under Hill: listen to those goblin voices!
3. Misty Mountains: the rest of the lyrics!
4. Blunt the Knives! yeah!

Very, very exciting. I think Shore has outdone himself.

Also, if you didn't know it, you would not think this was a particularly humorous movie based on the score!

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 5:39am

Post #17 of 163 (2207 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it would be a giveaway; however... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Shore's very clever at putting in subtle hints.

For instance: The harmonies of the "Pity of Gollum" theme are the same as the harmonies of the "Mount Doom" motif, prefiguring the importance of Bilbo's pity of Gollum in undoing the Ring's power at the Crack of Doom. Aragorn's theme is the melodic fragment that completes Gondor's theme because he's the king that can bring stability to the kingdom.

There are things like that all over the LOTR scores. I expect he'll do the same for the Hobbit.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 5:55am

Post #18 of 163 (2220 views)
Shortcut
DanielB, where are you? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know you want to! Cool

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2012, 6:00am

Post #19 of 163 (2233 views)
Shortcut
Speechless! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am amazed that Shore has been able to carry across the tone and feeling of his LotR score, while also crafting an amazingly different array of themes and style. This is not a score that safely falls back on previous material, nor does it fail to work that previous work into it's tapestry. The end credits song surprised me, as different as it is from the previous songs, but I think that may be quite a good thing.

I'm going to start losing it if this film doesn't get here sooner!! Laugh

Thank you Howard Shore. Your musical genius reigns supreme, and you have returned to us. Heart

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

MTRougeau
Bree

Nov 8 2012, 6:00am

Post #20 of 163 (2206 views)
Shortcut
Into the Wild? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not seeing that one anywhere?

zecharas

Nov 8 2012, 6:03am

Post #21 of 163 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Neil Finn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow to that song! It sounds incredible!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 6:05am

Post #22 of 163 (2160 views)
Shortcut
Correction: The Edge of the Wild [In reply to] Can't Post

One minute of genius, IMO.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 6:07am

Post #23 of 163 (2210 views)
Shortcut
The trumpets in Under Hill [In reply to] Can't Post

Are absolutely terrifying. Goblins!

And I was mistaken. The "goblin voices" are in the Brass Buttons track, which is also very good.

Whatever happens on December 14, the film starts out at an advantage with this score. Hopefully, PJ lives up to its promise!

(This post was edited by Shelob'sAppetite on Nov 8 2012, 6:09am)

starlesswinter
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 6:07am

Post #24 of 163 (2166 views)
Shortcut
Which is exactly what a good sequel/prequel score should do! [In reply to] Can't Post

These samples just confirm that the right balance has been achieved. Musically, at least.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 6:11am

Post #25 of 163 (2160 views)
Shortcut
I am definitely getting that vibe [In reply to] Can't Post

And liking it a lot. R&B's the Hobbit holds a special place in my heart.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.