Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'Good morning!' is in (maybe)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 1:27am

Post #1 of 13 (902 views)
Shortcut
'Good morning!' is in (maybe) Can't Post

There has been some speculation, by some people Wink, that the "good morning" exchange has been omitted by PJ. This is largely based on a TV spot moment, where Bilbo asks Gandalf 'Can I help you?'

However, some new information may point to its inclusion. In Sibley's Official Movie Guide, which I just received today, Ann Maskrey describes Bilbo's two main outfits: His travel clothes, and his "good morning waistcoat," "which he is wearing when he first encounters Gandalf outside Bag End."

Could this be evidence that the dialogue was, at least, in the script?

I think so. I would even go so far as to say that the dialogue will be intact, almost word for word. It is funny and accessible, and PJ probably liked it.

Thoughts?

marcuspaine
Bree

Nov 8 2012, 1:31am

Post #2 of 13 (439 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info Shelob. Have you found any other interesting info in the guide? [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 1:36am

Post #3 of 13 (469 views)
Shortcut
"Some people" says "good catch" [In reply to] Can't Post

That is certainly suggestive! It would be very strange for her to say that if it wasn't in. I will take it as a positive sign.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 2:31am

Post #4 of 13 (425 views)
Shortcut
There's lots of new information [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so much that we haven't already seen visually (except for a great maquette of the Goblin King), but there are details that I have certainly never heard before. Worth a purchase, IMO!

Also, much of the new info has been slowly shared here on the boards.

Perhaps someone can compile it all?

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 2:33am

Post #5 of 13 (396 views)
Shortcut
I win! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

This does tell me that it is almost certain that the dialogue was in the script, and likely, filmed. However, as is indicated in the book and elsewhere, PJ films the same scene this way and that, and Freeman offers up something different for each take. Not to mention regular script revisions, etc. So you never know.

But I am more hopeful now than I was yesterday (when I was just in denial)!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 8 2012, 2:45am

Post #6 of 13 (415 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of the Goblin King, the book also mentions that he does a bit of singing in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

But he doesn't exactly have the most beautiful voice you've ever heard.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 3:47am

Post #7 of 13 (368 views)
Shortcut
I was delighted to read that [In reply to] Can't Post

And then I read about the toilet-throne...Crazy

The book also reveals that Radagast's bunny sled was entirely Peter Jackson's idea.

It's sort of funny. Whenever I find something I really don't like, the cast and crew eventually credits it to Peter Jackson!

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 3:55am

Post #8 of 13 (352 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, a compilation of some of the book's info would be great if anyone's willing to do that [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way, I found the page Shelob was referring to on Google Images:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...IW1rjzs3fo1_1280.jpg

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 8 2012, 5:53am

Post #9 of 13 (325 views)
Shortcut
I quite like the bunny sled, actually [In reply to] Can't Post

The bird poo, not so much.

(and I won't say anything about the toilet-throne, although I am also please to hear that the Great Goblin sings)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 8 2012, 8:02am

Post #10 of 13 (278 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't the book compile all the spoilers for us? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2012, 8:17am

Post #11 of 13 (270 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone actually made a thread on the Sibley book way back on page 7 Wink

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Although sadly the links to photos were taken down because of copyright but most are available elsewhere now, like Tolkiendrim...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 8 2012, 8:21am)

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 5:30pm

Post #12 of 13 (157 views)
Shortcut
Or, could it be used in the EEs instead? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 9 2012, 2:10am

Post #13 of 13 (134 views)
Shortcut
*facepalms* [In reply to] Can't Post

Toilet throne? Yuck. But the singing Goblin King, now that I gotta see! Tongue As for the bunny sled, still think I'll end up thinking of the line, 'hey bunnies, take a walk on the wild side'. Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.