The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - Mourning Theodred

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 1:58pm

Post #1 of 9 (988 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - Mourning Theodred Can't Post

Today's screencap overlooks Eowyn's dismay over the death of Theodred.

1.) What are some key set decorations that stand out here, such as the rug/carpet, the tiles, or the tapestry? What are the specific details that you can spot? What significance do they hold?

2.) What mood does the lighting evoke? How else could it have been approached?

3.) Any other thoughts?

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

frederica bolger
Lorien

Nov 7 2012, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 9 (544 views)
Shortcut
are these wolfskins? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me started on interiors again, especially bedrooms and libraries!

What this environment seems to say is impermanence... this is not a lived-in bedroom and looks as if some people have dragged a bed into this room because Theodred can't get upstairs, and added some fur rugs to make it look more homely. The skins also link to the fast-moving tent dwelling people which are the Rohirrim at war; and wildness still in there somewhere, unlike the settled existence of Gondorians or hobbits.

The light, I think, is a cold morning; she has sat with her cousin all night, now it is light and he is dead. Very chilly and desolate, especially against the dark wood and fur.

And that's enough long words from me! Smile

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 9 (527 views)
Shortcut
A great shot {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2012, 11:38pm

Post #4 of 9 (550 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling of cold. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wolf? Calf? skins on the stone floor and furs piled on the bed tell me that this is a cold room to be sleeping in. Despite that, I want that room! I feel like I could barricade myself in there and no one would get in.

Eowyn's white dress is interesting. Is she wearing white for mourning? (Although she wore forest green at Theodred's interment.) White is such an impractical colour for a horse-based community that I believe there is some traditional meaning behind the colour.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 8 2012, 1:11am

Post #5 of 9 (532 views)
Shortcut
it makes me want to ask [In reply to] Can't Post

where her feet are?

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 8 2012, 7:01am

Post #6 of 9 (513 views)
Shortcut
So beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this shot is so sad and beautiful. To me, it seems like very early dawn - that time of the night that is so cold, and many sick or injured people seem to die at this time. The candle is burning low, showing that she's been there all night and that maybe her own fire is burning low, too.

The fact that he's in such a cold, dark room makes me wonder whether Grima or his henchmen had anything to do with where he was put when he was brought back to Edoras, or was it just the most convenient?

I think Eowyn's dress here shows her goodness and pureness/loyalty to Rohan, and the fact that it is elegant, fine, well-fitted, with the belt matching her pale golden hair, it is perfectly contrasted to Grima's outfit in the next scene - his bulky, grimy looking black furs. That also shows that she feels at home and in her element in the cold, sparse environment of the Golden Hall, where Wormtongue wants to shield himself from the cold, and from the environment itself.

The faded tapestry tells me that this is a place that was once full of splendor and warmth, but has fallen onto harder times.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2012, 8:06am

Post #7 of 9 (527 views)
Shortcut
Theodred doesn't fit the bed [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) What are some key set decorations that stand out here, such as the rug/carpet, the tiles, or the tapestry? What are the specific details that you can spot? What significance do they hold?

I like what the others have said, but I think that this room is intended as a bedroom, but it's not Theodred's room. I had never really noticed before, but he has to be placed diagonally to fit the bed.

2.) What mood does the lighting evoke? How else could it have been approached?

The lighting is very somber and almost tomb-like.

3.) Any other thoughts?

About Eowyn's dress: it seems like she's wearing the same dress she was wearing when Theodred was brought back, as if she has been by his side all night. However, if I remember correctly, there were some continuity problems with her intermittently in the green dress with the front strands of her hair pulled back, and in this white dress with her hair down. I don't know how much was intended to show passage of time, and how much was just bad continuity. Maybe they couldn't decide between the two because they were both so beautifulSmile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 8:19am

Post #8 of 9 (497 views)
Shortcut
I always felt sorry for the actor playing Theodred [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't have much of an opportunity to show his skills.
And he only gets one 'line'. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2012, 8:23am

Post #9 of 9 (743 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting observation [In reply to] Can't Post

about him not fitting on the bed. I never noticed that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.