Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is the biggest thrill-seeking adrenaline rush you have experienced?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 12:22am

Post #1 of 63 (301 views)
Shortcut
What is the biggest thrill-seeking adrenaline rush you have experienced? Can't Post

Before our trip to Las Vegas, I would have said riding some select roller coasters at King's Island and Cedar Point. Those are now a distant second to what I tried last Monday: I jumped off the 108th floor (855 feet) of the Stratosphere and landed on my feet.

The whole ride up, waiting for the jumper in front of me and the pre-jump harness safety check had my heart rate pounding away. Then the workers moved me over to the platform, I held on to bars with each hand while my toes were placed over the edge. They counted backwards from three and then I stepped off. I wasn't sure when the moment of truth arrived that I could step off, but it was surprisingly easy. The fall went by in a flash and I then found myself landing on a giant bullseye, legs a bit jelly-like. I made it.Smile

So, what story would you like to share? Skydiving, bungee jumping off the New River bridge, breaking the sound barrier in a jet, etc.?

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

imin
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 12:35am

Post #2 of 63 (180 views)
Shortcut
Have a couple :) [In reply to] Can't Post

One isnt very nice. It was when i went to the supermarket (grocery store) with my little sister - at the time she was only around 4/5 i was 18 and it was the first time i had taken her there myself.

One minute she was there holding my hand, the next gone! I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my body, a massive feeling of dread and terror! Probably lasted only 1 minute at most (i only had to search a couple of isles) but it felt like forever! I was so relieved when i found her and had so much adrenaline running through me, i was totally pumped and couldnt stop laughing or shaking!

The next one is a bit more fun. I was in a bike race in the Lake District - had to climb a mountain and race back down. Due to low rain fall some of the soil had been blown off the dirt tracks leaving hard rocks and we had been warned some earlier riders had to be air lifted to hospital for skin grafts after falling off and basically taking all their skin away.

Anyway i got to the top (very tiring, not fun) and then racing down i came to a bend and im not kidding the track went right to the very edge of the really steep mountain side - almost a cliff - essentially it was - i was about 2 inches from going over to a certain death a couple thousand feet below! Laughed my head off all the way down after that - i felt so alive and amazing, i loved it and in a weird way wanted to do it again :P

Not the best maybe but i have never had the experience of sky diving (its very safe though) but one day i really hope i can try sky diving and white water rafting, swim with sharks, ice climb etc.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 2:08am

Post #3 of 63 (180 views)
Shortcut
river rafting [In reply to] Can't Post

We were rafting the Wenatchee River and because all of us in the boat had done it before, our guide took us through a huge 'eater' hole called Satan's Eyeball. To get through safely, everyone has to paddle as hard as they can; unfortunately my brother-in-law told a joke right before and we were all laughing and forgot to paddle. We didn't make it. I remember seeing my brother's legs fly past me as the raft upended. I "swam" the rest of the mile-long rapid before another raft pulled me out. For a lot of it I was underwater. And I knew there was a dam coming up that kills anyone who goes over it. Really thought my time had come.

A few years later, on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, we had to run the most dangerous rapid on the river without scouting it because someone fell out and by the time we'd gotten her back in the raft, we were committed. You couldn't see the rapid from above because it starts with an 8-foot (at that water level) waterfall. Luckily we went over the lip at the precise right point to avoid the rocks below. But after we got through and beached, we all had to get out of the raft and run around and shriek for a while, we were so full of adrenaline!

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 7 2012, 2:15am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 5:06am

Post #4 of 63 (155 views)
Shortcut
4.9.10, 4.35am [In reply to] Can't Post

7.1 earthquake.
I honestly believed I was going to die. But while all that was going on, I remember saying out loud, 'wow', as another part of me was being blown away by the incredible and awesome forces of nature.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 5:18am

Post #5 of 63 (163 views)
Shortcut
Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane once [In reply to] Can't Post

It was wonderful. It had many positive physical effects for a good week or so. Highly recommended.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 5:29am

Post #6 of 63 (149 views)
Shortcut
So it sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

you should carry out this activity once a week, to ensure the full benefits. Wink

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 5:30am

Post #7 of 63 (221 views)
Shortcut
Climbling Longs Peak [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Fourteener (over 14,000 feet tall) that I've seen from where I live all my life. In 1984 we climbed it, and I've been halfway up many times since, but going all the way to the top was the scariest, most grueling thing I've ever done, with the possible exception of childbirth. This will give you some idea what the scary part of the trail was like. You're on a ledge three feet wide, with a three-thousand-foot dropoff on one side. I have no desire to ever do it again, but I'm glad I did it once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 6:13am

Post #8 of 63 (181 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

You rock!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 6:39am

Post #9 of 63 (158 views)
Shortcut
Well, maybe I did twenty years ago :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, nowadays I only make it halfway up the mountain, if I'm lucky. The last time I did that was two years ago, when I went up to scatter some of my mom's ashes. Uncle Baggins and I went partway up this summer, but not as high. It is a grand old mountain.

By the way, a fun part of that hike was unexpectedly running into our own Ethel Duath on the trail!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 7 2012, 6:42am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 6:52am

Post #10 of 63 (158 views)
Shortcut
Your photos are such a treat [In reply to] Can't Post

I always love seeing them.
What a bonus to bump into that lovely lady with the big smile. Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 7:23am

Post #11 of 63 (152 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Starling :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 7:48am

Post #12 of 63 (147 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've had quite a boring 23 years of life. I hope the biggest thrill-seeking adrenaline rush I have every experienced is yet to come!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 7:56am

Post #13 of 63 (161 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me [In reply to] Can't Post

Hasn't someone around here got a trip to South Georgia coming up? This is surely adventure material!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 8:01am

Post #14 of 63 (134 views)
Shortcut
:-D That's why I hope the best is yet to come! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Misto
Lorien

Nov 7 2012, 8:46am

Post #15 of 63 (146 views)
Shortcut
One word: eventing. [In reply to] Can't Post

The cross-country part, to be precise. A fast ride over mind-blowing solid fences that leaves for little room for error. Plus a different challenge every time. Sign me up!

Unfortunately I don't have the horse right now. Haven't had for quite some time, in fact. So I settle with good, old show jumping for the while. I love the sport but it doesn't even come close.Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2012, 8:54am

Post #16 of 63 (145 views)
Shortcut
Undoubtedly [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing quite like the thrill of riding a cross country course. Just you and your horse, all guts and trust.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 12:25pm

Post #17 of 63 (149 views)
Shortcut
Skydiving [In reply to] Can't Post

Only done it once, but I would love to do it again. Can't describe how amazing it felt, I was grinning all day afterwards!

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 12:38pm

Post #18 of 63 (144 views)
Shortcut
The supermarket. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a terrible feeling. For me, it was a department store. I was the one who lost myself from my mom when I was all of 6. After hiding in a clothes rack for a few minutes to be funny, she was nowhere to be found. I freaked out a bit until I found her.

That bike race brush with death would have me shaking as well.

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 12:46pm

Post #19 of 63 (127 views)
Shortcut
Several invitations [In reply to] Can't Post

to go white water rafting have come my way over the years and I have never accepted the challenge. Stories like these are part of the reason why.Blush I bet you had the white knuckle death grip on your paddle. Awesome that you were able to navigate through to safety.

At some point, I would like to try it out though - my family keeps asking me to go with them to West Virginia.

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 12:54pm

Post #20 of 63 (148 views)
Shortcut
Nature's fury. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never experienced the wrath of Mother Nature such as you described. We weathered a tropical storm several years back, but that was fairly trivial. When I was little, a F5 tornado destroyed a town about 25 miles from our house, killing over 30 people during the Super Outbreak of April, 1974.

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 12:56pm

Post #21 of 63 (120 views)
Shortcut
To me, [In reply to] Can't Post

that was actually on my "list". After conferring with family, we are in agreement that the Sky Jump counts as a substitute.Wink

How high up were you when you jumped? The feeling of free fall is nothing short of breathtaking.

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 1:10pm

Post #22 of 63 (137 views)
Shortcut
So, [In reply to] Can't Post

what was going through your mind while walking this three feet wide path? Do you have any issues with heights? I have shown you this mountain climbing pic before, legs hanging over the ledge 5000 feet up while taking a break.

But we didn't walk that close to the edge. However, there were several occasions where a slip or missed step would have ended very badly.

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 1:13pm

Post #23 of 63 (116 views)
Shortcut
You are young. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully, life will present you with several opportunities to challenge yourself. I do not think you will regret it when the time comes.Smile

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 1:19pm

Post #24 of 63 (111 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love horses. Never done the cross-country bit though. Riding in a full out gallop/canter through open fields was about exciting as it got for me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Did I mention that I love horses?

Delrond
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 1:22pm

Post #25 of 63 (152 views)
Shortcut
Again! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I was saying to SirDennisC, the jump counted as a "sky dive" on my list, but I'd still consider it. Were you solo or tandem?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.