Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wellington's Embassy Theatre botches Hobbit pre-sales - Peter Jackson steps in

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 6 2012, 9:09pm

Post #1 of 14 (1372 views)
Shortcut
Wellington's Embassy Theatre botches Hobbit pre-sales - Peter Jackson steps in Can't Post

It's a confusing story but it appears that the midnight screenings of The Hobbit on the first night were never going to have tickets available for sale to fans. Not that they told the fans that.

Now PJ has stepped in to save the day.

This reminds me of when I went to the FOTR midnight screening. Our session actually started at 12.30am as the 12.01am screening had been booked out by a local radio station for an audience competition.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Rolfina
Rivendell

Nov 6 2012, 9:20pm

Post #2 of 14 (579 views)
Shortcut
What a debacle [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I don't get the getting in line for tickets, this is exactly what I would be afraid of, the theatre being sold out before it was my turn. Fortunately this isn't practiced here in Germany. In fact I just bought my tickets online (English version 3D, yay). First screenings here happen at 12:30 midday on December 12th, with the official open date December 13th. I'm going in the evening, and am excited that I don't have to stay up till midnight. Now, tickets went online an hour ago, and so far I seem to be the only one who has booked. I suspected the hype wouldn't be as big as overseas, but this is blasphemy. Shocked

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 9:26pm

Post #3 of 14 (527 views)
Shortcut
Here where I live the onsite sale started 8 hours before online [In reply to] Can't Post

Then again there's never lines here so I just walked down about an hour before the online sale started.

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 14 (534 views)
Shortcut
Another account of the fiasco. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.avalonsguide.com/...sy-an-unexpected-up/

Chopsta123
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 10:48pm

Post #5 of 14 (470 views)
Shortcut
can you tell me the cinema/website where you bought the tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Berlin so I would go to the midnight showing at Cinestar.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 11:31pm

Post #6 of 14 (430 views)
Shortcut
tickets were online at about 11.45pm [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm doing 9pm friday 14th dec at the embassy, 3d 48fps. This is going to be amazing.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7 2012, 1:16am

Post #7 of 14 (394 views)
Shortcut
More: [In reply to] Can't Post

Positively Wellington Tourism (PWT) this afternoon announced it had booked the screening for a campaign that will see tickets given away to ''fans of the films and Wellington''.
PWT general manager Sarah Meikle said, following reading about the debacle this morning, she had been in frantic discussions with Peter Jackson's Wingnut Films, Event Cinemas, and Roadshow to sort it out.
It was decided 120 tickets would be given to the 60-odd fans who queued, with a further 60 given to other fans. The rest would be distributed with a luck-of-the-draw lottery.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 3:27am

Post #8 of 14 (352 views)
Shortcut
That's terrific of PJ! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all the hurdles the TH has had to overcome just getting to the screen, I'm glad that people who were waiting NOT getting to see Film 1 was avoided.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 4:19am

Post #9 of 14 (384 views)
Shortcut
Latest news on line: much of the mystery solved and resolved [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...d-by-tourism-booking

Rolfina
Rivendell

Nov 7 2012, 5:18am

Post #10 of 14 (422 views)
Shortcut
Cinestar [In reply to] Can't Post

Streits in Hamburg, its our only theatre that shows films in English. But its part of the Cinestar group, and I bought through cinestar.de. Which theatres show English verions in Berlin?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 7 2012, 7:53am

Post #11 of 14 (257 views)
Shortcut
What countries are having midnight showings? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Misto
Lorien

Nov 7 2012, 8:35am

Post #12 of 14 (238 views)
Shortcut
Opening nights aren't for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Having witnessed the opening night of Skyfall at my local cinema only recently I'm pretty sure I have no interest in a ticket for the first few days.

Also, I've kind of come to terms with the fact that I will have to watch the Hobbit in German. The only cinema that will have the English version for sure is the multiplex in the nearby city but a) they will show in 3D -and I'd be damned before I do this to my eyes for three hours and b) this multiplex thing is everything a cinema should not be in my opinion. I prefer smaller family-run cinemas.
However, there used to be a smaller foreign-language cinema that has been closed for a few year now, but rumour has it they will open again within the month (it was in the newspaper - must be true then, right?Laugh). So there is still hope as I somewhat doubt they will have 3D technology.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Nov 7 2012, 8:47am

Post #13 of 14 (235 views)
Shortcut
got my tickets thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Streits in Hamburg, its our only theatre that shows films in English. But its part of the Cinestar group, and I bought through cinestar.de. Which theatres show English verions in Berlin?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 6:33pm

Post #14 of 14 (167 views)
Shortcut
Good for PJ... Love that guy!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.