Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New still of Kili, Bilbo and Fili
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Reinier

Nov 6 2012, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 38 (1723 views)
Shortcut
New still of Kili, Bilbo and Fili Can't Post

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...rbg1r88esho1_500.jpg

I don't know where it came from.

I'm sorry if this was posted before.

What are they doing? Trollshaw?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 38 (768 views)
Shortcut
I'm betting that they're watching Gandalf undress / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Post #3 of 38 (799 views)
Shortcut
What's that man doing with a hobbit and a dwarf? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting, i dont know if it has been posted before but i havent seen it previously.

(This post was edited by imin on Nov 6 2012, 4:35pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Post #4 of 38 (781 views)
Shortcut
Probably spying on the trolls. [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 38 (861 views)
Shortcut
It's from the storybook, and yup, it's at the trollshaw... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though not sure why it appears to be day...the book mentions that Fili and Kili are guarding the ponies and notice that a few have gone missing, leading to the discovery of the stone trolls. You'd think stone trolls would be pretty unmissable by themselves, however. ;)

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 4:37pm

Post #6 of 38 (772 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel probably promised them strands of her hair if they gave her a full report. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 38 (763 views)
Shortcut
Is that out today? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any other spoilers?

It does seem odd. Surely the Dwarves would hear the Trolls, and the Trolls would look for the owners of the ponies?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 4:41pm

Post #8 of 38 (754 views)
Shortcut
Nobody escapes the stare of creepy Bilbo! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 38 (794 views)
Shortcut
Really just about early entrance [In reply to] Can't Post

for the Orcs (tracking the Company from the Trollshaw onward), and Riddles in the Dark being concurrent with the Goblin King sequence.

But a bit more about the troll sequence: the book claims Bilbo sneaks into the Trolls' camp to untie the ponies, then decides to steal a knife from one of the Troll's belts. No mention of the purse(!!!!), but fear not, a lot is left out of the book we know will be in the film (such as the Raddy spider attack, the Morgul blade, and so on).

And agreed, I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense regarding the ponies...seems they've transposed the scene where they're stolen by the Goblins to the Trollshaw for some reason (perhaps because the Goblins have a more action-oriented into)?

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 6 2012, 4:50pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 4:56pm

Post #10 of 38 (743 views)
Shortcut
And oh yes, supposedly Gandy remains behind in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

for the meeting of the White Council, while the others press on to the Misty Mountains (he catches up with them in time to slay the Goblin King). But haven't we seen evidence to the contrary - that Gandy is present with the Company before they're captured by Goblins?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 5:17pm

Post #11 of 38 (707 views)
Shortcut
Sounds to me that they've replaced the talking purse with a knife [In reply to] Can't Post

A truly sad day for me.Frown

And Gandalf stays in Rivendell. Ugh.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 5:26pm

Post #12 of 38 (696 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it's a talking knife? [In reply to] Can't Post

Take heart, it's not late for a petition! ;)

And BTW, another little tidbit: just saw in the visual dictionary that Celebrian is mentioned as being "married to Elrond" - present tense. Could we indeed see Celebrian in TH (as was speculated a while back)? If so, I wonder who's playing her (probably not a major role, but intriguing nonetheless).

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 5:30pm

Post #13 of 38 (692 views)
Shortcut
More like a strongly worded letter! [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll put loads of ridiculous Dwarf jokes in, but not a talking purse! It doesn't have to even talk! Just squeak! Or just be shown!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 5:42pm

Post #14 of 38 (722 views)
Shortcut
Re: Celebrian [In reply to] Can't Post

What if we see her waylaid by Fimbul? She's injured, and departs Middle-earth with her sons?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 5:55pm

Post #15 of 38 (690 views)
Shortcut
Works for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

It fits in the Celebrian's fate from Tolkien's writings, and would help explain why Elrond is so grouchy by the time of TH (though he doesn't sound much more affable while speaking with Thorin, anyway). ;)

But IMO, it would be a tad underwhelming for Celebrian and Arwen not to share any screentime as a family unit (which PJ remedied for Denethor/Bomomir/Faramir in the TT:EE). Hopefully if she's in it, they'll bring Liv back for this Summer's shooting, even if it's for just a cameo.

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 6 2012, 7:23pm

Post #16 of 38 (590 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be great! Slim chance, but it's a nice thing to hope for....

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2012, 7:39pm

Post #17 of 38 (552 views)
Shortcut
Technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond and Celebrian remain married after she departs for Valinor...Elves bind for eternity, don't ya know?

Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2012, 7:47pm

Post #18 of 38 (580 views)
Shortcut
Argh! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's getting more convoluted the more I hear!

It seems like the snowball effect...one little change leads to another and then that forces another! They don't want to include the purse so have to come up with a replacement way for the Trolls to catch Bilbo so they hit on the idea of them stealing the ponies so that Bilbo has to rescue them - but needs a knife...and we know from Sibley's book the Dwarves are actually put on spits to roast, not just left in the sacks...

Then we have a made-up Warg attack - or at least, chase - inserted after this?

And the WC plot now means Gandalf missing the beginning of Over Hill and Under Hill ?

Oh boy...Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Aragorn22
The Shire

Nov 6 2012, 8:23pm

Post #19 of 38 (532 views)
Shortcut
Refresh my memory [In reply to] Can't Post

When does Gandalf get seperated from the dwarfs prior to being caught by the Goblins?

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 6 2012, 8:38pm

Post #20 of 38 (523 views)
Shortcut
In the book, he is with them even as they are being captured [In reply to] Can't Post

but he disappears in a flash of light leaving some goblins dead and doesn't reappear until his light show in the Goblin King's cavern

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Aragorn22
The Shire

Nov 6 2012, 9:19pm

Post #21 of 38 (479 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been awhile. Really him leaving right before that isn't that drastic a change. I can deal with that.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 11:11pm

Post #22 of 38 (454 views)
Shortcut
More changes surprise! surprise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 11:19pm

Post #23 of 38 (447 views)
Shortcut
I like the change with Bilbo sneaking up on the trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

By removing the talking purse (which is a change we all saw coming for obvious reasons) I don't know how they could have done it. Bilbo trying to steal the knife for no reason? At least with the ponies it makes sense.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 6 2012, 11:20pm)

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 11:31pm

Post #24 of 38 (411 views)
Shortcut
unlike danielLB I don't mind the change of the talking purse [In reply to] Can't Post

its the whole thing again about needlessly changing the reason Bilbo goes in the first place. The dwarves were wet cold tired and hungry. Seen a fire in the distance and thought the burgler could go see what its about.... I don't see any problem with the original reason to be honest The purse doesn't bother me one bit being changed. Its just more needless changes that didn't need to be made is all Crazy

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 7 2012, 4:04am

Post #25 of 38 (385 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see Fili and Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

Utilising their scouting skills as they did in the book as well.Fili looks superb as a young Dwarf and Kili in this picture doesn't look too bad either.Wink
I don't mind the change either the purse would have been borferline ridiculous.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 7 2012, 4:08am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.