Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Election Day reading thread, and a plea for a substitute next week

Lily Fairbairn

Nov 6 2012, 3:02pm

Post #1 of 17 (327 views)
The Election Day reading thread, and a plea for a substitute next week Can't Post

First of all, I won't be at my computer next Tuesday, November 13, so would appreciate it if someone could post this thread for me, please.

I'm still reading as fast as I can to keep up with the magazines---I swear Smithsonian comes out more frequently than once a month---and I'm still working my way through Anonymity: A Secret History of English Literature, by John Mullen.

I suppose it's because I've been working hard and am very tired in the evening, when I sit and read, but I've had quite a few nice naps while reading this book. Blush It's not that it's not interesting. I never knew that many 18th and early 19th century novels were published anonymously (Scott, Austen, Bronte, deFoe). In many cases this was a way for a woman to write as a man and therefore be taken more seriously, although there were instances of men writing as women. And it was simply seen as the modest thing to do.

Boy, do I ever realize that nowadays marketing is much more important than modesty!

Publishing a novel with "anonymous" or an obvious pseudonym like "by a lady" was also intended to generate buzz. A modern example of this is Primary Colors, a recent political novel that after much hoo-ha turned out to have been written by newsman Joe Klein.

I'm now getting to the part of the book where Mullen talks about people getting into real trouble, sometimes even being executed, for writing political and religious pieces that went against the laws of the time and place. *shudder*

What have YOU been reading?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2012, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 17 (203 views)
Cloud Atlas; next: Anna Karenina [In reply to] Can't Post

Really enjoyed the film, so I'm reading the novel by David Mitchell now. It's really interesting discovering the structure of the book vs. how they did it in the film (where everything is spliced together). I'm loving it so far. Next up I'm reading the Tolstoy novel "Anna Karenina" for the very first time. I'm going to attempt to get through it before seeing the Keira Knightley film when it comes out. However, given the size of the book - that might be difficult. Tongue

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Superuser / Moderator

Nov 6 2012, 6:06pm

Post #3 of 17 (198 views)
Magician, by Raymond E Feist. [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that this has been in print for more than 30 years - and the man in the bookshop said it's his favourite book to re-read - prompted me to buy it. It's a great read: That it's Feist's first book is obvious in some of the writing and I'm seeing *a lot* of LOTR influence, but there is also a lot more that is entirely original - and the interplay of relationships is very well worked. I'm liking it a lot.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins

Nov 6 2012, 6:34pm

Post #4 of 17 (187 views)
"The Stand", "Jane Austen Book Club" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about a third of the way through "The Stand" now; just started Book II. It's unputdownable. I've been listening to it on my kindle during my commute, (a welcome change from political talk radio) and find myself sitting in the parking lot not wanting to leave it.

But on Saturday I had a day at home where I did a craft project and listened for several hours, and got really depressed. So I need something light to balance it, and that's why I'm re-reading an old favorite, the Jane Austen Book Club. I also re-watched the movie, to cheer myself up after watching Cloud Atlas, but that's another story.

Oh, and I could sub next Tuesday. Would you be willing to send me a reminder PM on Monday? I'm pretty forgetful when things don't fit into my usual routine.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 6:49pm

Post #5 of 17 (168 views)
African Game Trails: An Account of the African Wanderings of an American Hunter-Naturalist [In reply to] Can't Post

by Theodore Roosevelt. This is a very heavy, 1922 hard cover, so I'm reading it in snatches just because it's so heavy. I am torn a bit with the contrasts between his obvious delight in the wonders of Africa, his stated plans to only kill those specimens to be sent to American museums but the high kill rate at which they all operated, and his typically racist attitude towards the native peoples, frequently calling Kenya 'white man's country' and frequent iteration that the white man are the only civilized peoples and therefore the only ones who can rule the 'savages.' And, I have to admit, that the 'native peoples' now ruling the continent have not done a very good job of it.

Also picked up Charlaine Harris' Harper Connelly series of four. Quick and easy reads, but not as engaging or as witty as her Sookie Stackhouse series. Good for a rainy afternoon though.

The stack of books to read is getting higher.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Nov 6 2012, 7:07pm

Post #6 of 17 (183 views)
Back to reading back issues of Smithsonian Magazine again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never seem to be able to keep up with these when they arrive, so I'm always a year behind. Always makes for interesting reading -- I like the diversity of topics and the balance of different kinds of features of different lengths in each issue. The photography is always excellent as well, and it's nice to see photos in print instead of on screen for a change!

Lily Fairbairn

Nov 6 2012, 7:24pm

Post #7 of 17 (177 views)
Thanks, Auntie D. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll send you a pm Sunday night, if that's all right, since I won't be at the keyboard Monday, either.

Thank you for filling in! They're a real nice crowd, I promise you that. Tongue

Nov 6 2012, 7:51pm

Post #8 of 17 (183 views)
Cloud Atlas [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't say I cared for the post-apocalyptic section . . . why is it so hard for us to imagine a positive future? . . . but otherwise I loved this book. I also loved how it was structured, because it kept surprising me. You think something is one thing and then it turns out to be something else. Lots of fun!

There is a lot of violence I realized, but in the book it's not dwelt on, it just happens and you move on, so it doesn't leave a huge impression. Will be curious to see how the film deals with that. There's one part especially that could be horrific.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins

Nov 6 2012, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 17 (170 views)
Sounds great! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 2:48am

Post #10 of 17 (166 views)
I enjoyed Anna Karenina [In reply to] Can't Post

But it was the secondary storyline about Levin that I found the most compelling. From the clips that I've seen, it looks like his story will be a small part of the film, but they look promising none the less.

Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 3:03am

Post #11 of 17 (149 views)
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde [In reply to] Can't Post

I downloaded this the other night when I couldn't sleep and read a few pages before getting sleepy. It wasn't boring, I just got sleepy.Blush But I don't want to read any more until I have time to read the rest in one go, which, for me, is the best way to read plays. Anyway, it's pretty cute so far. I think I saw a film version a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it.

Nov 7 2012, 9:40am

Post #12 of 17 (142 views)
I look [In reply to] Can't Post

forward to hearing what you think of the movie. I haven't read the book but am thinking about possibly seeing the movie.

Nov 7 2012, 9:43am

Post #13 of 17 (173 views)
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even think I'll finish The Hobbit before 12/14/12-darn pesky internets sucks up too much of my leisure time these days! Of course, it doesn't really matter since I've read it a few times before.Wink

Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 1:17pm

Post #14 of 17 (164 views)
The Awakened: Book 1 by Jason Tesar [In reply to] Can't Post

Another free kindle book I downloaded via Pixel of Ink. I'm a quarter of the way through it or so. At this point, its not totally clear what the overarching story is. There has been a modern timeline in which a global natural disaster is taking place, and in the midst of that an apparently roman-timeframe man is rescued. There has also been a roman-timeframe timeline in which a protagonist encounters an unknown, apparently technologically-advanced foe, leading to his capture, failed escape and at-the-last-moment disappearance in a way that suggests he may be the fellow that traveled forward through time. I use "roman" here is a generic term for some sort of Empire

There are also hints at the beginning of the story that this may all be related to those mysterious biblical passages about giants in the Earth.

Hope you enjoy your time away from the keyboard!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 9:49pm

Post #15 of 17 (123 views)
Yay! The Magician [In reply to] Can't Post

I read this in the mid 80's and went on to read 8 or 9 more of Feist's books from this --or a related--series. I had read-- or maybe was reading--a bit of fantasy (M. Rawn, R Zelzany, P.Anthony) around this time but Feist's characters and world engaged me the most. I haven't picked it up again in ages--definitely since I "discovered" Tolkien in 2001--but my son may have a copy around here so I am now a bit curious to re-read and look for any LOTR influences.

Nov 8 2012, 12:08pm

Post #16 of 17 (146 views)
I recently finished The Stand [In reply to] Can't Post

(The 1990 'Uncut' 400 page longer version)

Loved it! My First Stephen King Book, and certainly not my last, a gripping read, and terrific story.

You may want to seek out the 1994 cable TV Mini-Series they did, King co-produced and wrote it, and its quite faifthful to the book, and a reasonably enjoyable way to pass the time....I do feel a little sorry for Ben Affleck though! apparently he's been attached as director for a single film adaptation....(good luck with that....)

I'm also reading Tales from the Perilous Realm, and JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century (though as both are libary copies I'm having to deal with coffee stains and an rapidly approaching deadline).

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Nov 9 2012, 3:41am

Post #17 of 17 (160 views)
I like Feist [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially liked the character Martin Longbow. I've come to realize that I'm really drawn to archers.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.