Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could we see the Barrow Wights in AUJ?

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 1:35pm

Views: 1113
Shortcut
Could we see the Barrow Wights in AUJ? Can't Post

(After going slightly off topic in the LOTR forum I decided to exapnd on the post here)

Not sure if this has been discussed before, and I'm sure people have got better theories than me...but what are the chances of seeing the Barrow Wights in the Hobbit film?

The evidence for:

-We know AUJ is over 160 minutes long-that suggests some padding between the shire and trollhills-even with the eagles and Goblin town it would be a bit action light otherwise, and audiences make get a little bored with the earlier parts of the film merely retreading the parts of Arnor seen in FOTR.

-We also know that Sylvester Mcoy (Radagast) shot some sequences with the dwarves and Bilbo (which seems a bit strange if Radagast is tied up soley in the Dol Goldur storyline...and I do get a definite 'Bombadil' oddness aura off Radgast) -though this could just be a quick meet and greet.

-And of course that whole 'Dunedain tomb raiding' sequence is in the film- which smacks of an oppurtunity to sneak the barrow wights in-perhaps the barrowights are the ringwraiths not yet at full power?-aren't their spirits bound to the one ring and suaron's power?- i.e the Barrow Wights could be the Nazgul on 'power saving' mode?.

-I can't remember who posted it but supposedly there was a list of locations featuring in the Hobbit films, and the Weather hills and Barrow Downs were both listed (though that may be my mind playing tricks on meUnsure).

-It could be pretty cool! and links with the Dol Goldur stuff.

The case against

-Arguabaly contributes nothing to the storyline, and drags out the first film (Comments from cast members suggest it's quite a fast moving film)

-If the Barrow Downs stay in the same location on the map, and it is the dwarves and bilbo who encounter them, it would render his actions in (and the comedy of the trolls at) Trollshaws a bit out of place.

-Cutting and pasting scenes from LOTR may be a step too far for some fans

-It's quite a dark, famous chapter from LOTR, and might not work with the Hobbit's tone.

-It's yet another subplot/ race to set up, and draws attention away from the main plot.

I personally don't want to see them in the hobbit (it is irrelevant to the story, I'd much rather see more time spent expanding on stuff from the book, and I'd feel very uncomfortable about PJ and Co copying and pasting Tolkien's work from book to book) but as this will be PJ's last oppurtunity to do Tolkien (hopefully...I DO NOT want to see the Sillmarillion adapated...but that's another story) and by his own admission he's incapable of making short films...I wouldn't be surprised to see them in it.

Your thoughts? Do you want to see them in or not?

Do you have stronger evidence than me? (Coudl they be saved for film 2 or 3?)

...And why does 'Tolkien' come up as a spelling error?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Subject User Time
Could we see the Barrow Wights in AUJ? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Nov 6 2012, 1:35pm
    Barrow Wights YES Barrow Downs NO Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Nov 6 2012, 1:51pm
        I think I'd be OK with that... malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Nov 6 2012, 1:58pm
        The company doesn't have the to pass the Barrow Downs Shelob'sAppetite Send a private message to Shelob'sAppetite Nov 6 2012, 3:40pm
            Yes, actually. The company does have to pass the Downs... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Nov 6 2012, 9:20pm
    Very slight chance. Better odds of seeing Wights later... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Nov 6 2012, 2:02pm
        I like the idea of Dwarves visiting the Downs because of the rumoured treasure / DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 6 2012, 4:28pm
    I want Dol Guldur to be as dark and as terrible as possible DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Nov 6 2012, 2:03pm
    Not exactly, but dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Nov 6 2012, 2:13pm
    I'm Lost In The Fog Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Nov 6 2012, 3:33pm
        Nothing is known dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Nov 6 2012, 4:18pm
            Google Says... Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Nov 6 2012, 4:34pm
                Picture of a Nazgűl statue Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Nov 7 2012, 11:20am
                    Gandalf's Fardragon Send a private message to Fardragon Nov 7 2012, 1:08pm
                    Creepy! Arthael Send a private message to Arthael Nov 7 2012, 2:58pm
    IMO, in Film 1 we may see the disembodied spirits of the Nazgul Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Nov 6 2012, 4:33pm
    Barrow Wights sam90 Send a private message to sam90 Nov 7 2012, 5:06pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.