Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Curious: What is your method of voting?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 6:58am

Post #1 of 65 (442 views)
Shortcut
Curious: What is your method of voting? Can't Post

I heard a rumour there might be an election happening somewhere.
It got me wondering how people vote in different countries. Here in New Zealand we are old-school: cardboard booth, a big fat marker pen and a piece of paper, tick your choices, fold your paper and shove it in the box.

What method is used in your neck of the woods? Do you use fancy technology? Fingerprints?
What say you?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 7:57am

Post #2 of 65 (216 views)
Shortcut
Postal vote [In reply to] Can't Post

They send me my voting slip through the post, I tick the box that is least likely to annoy me for the next couple of years, and then send it back.

Nice and easy. I wouldn't even know where my local polling station is!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 8:04am

Post #3 of 65 (229 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

We have postal voting for local council elections, and the turnout isn't wonderful.
For general elections you have to get off your bottom and go to the polling booth.

What sort of a turnout percentage-wise do you get voting by post?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 8:31am

Post #4 of 65 (218 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if it is successful or not [In reply to] Can't Post

For me personally, I just find it easier. I can't forget if it's sat there on the table. I'm less likely to go out and vote on the day, because I'm probably busy doing something else.

All the voting figures for ther UK's last PM election are online. I've done a quick bit of stats, and approximately 13% of the UK's population use postal votes, which is over 8 million people. 65% (40 million people) vote at a polling station. I presume the rest didn't vote at all, or ballots were rejected. Yeah, it's not very high compared to the other 40 million people, but still quite a lot.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 8:56am

Post #5 of 65 (272 views)
Shortcut
We had an appalling turnout at the last election [In reply to] Can't Post

a pathetic 74%. Until our very recent history the turnout has normally been in the 80-90% range.
I have my own theory on why the turnout was so low this time, but I will keep it under my hat.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 9:44am

Post #6 of 65 (251 views)
Shortcut
In Ohio, USA . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In my county, we mostly vote at a local polling place with an electronic machine. It is a touch screen voting machine. At this time, there is something called early voting, where between certain dates, you can vote at the County Board of Elections. There is also an absentee ballot you can request, mark in whatever place you choose, and either mail in or drop off at the courthouse. I believe that if you don't want to use a machine to vote, there are paper ballots you can fill in. I don't bother with paper, touch machine is faster.

Today is our voting day and I am SO happy to see it. Because Ohio is a key state we have been inundated with political ads and mail and automated phoning. I just quit answering my phone and let the voice mail pick it up. Since we don't get commercial TV, we didn't have to watch ads except on the news programs. We were sweating out whether the Public Broadcasting station we get was going to sell ads, but they didn't.

imin
Valinor

Nov 6 2012, 10:57am

Post #7 of 65 (223 views)
Shortcut
Polling station [In reply to] Can't Post

They are in church halls normally and i have always lived about 100ft away from a church - so i walk across the road and vote. that is for general elections. The past election was the first one i was old enough to actually vote in - i wish i changed my vote!

For me there doesnt seem to be enough difference between parties in the UK but i guess thats for another thread.

Local elections its just postal.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 11:48am

Post #8 of 65 (194 views)
Shortcut
Same here Daniel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope not all Brits are as lazy as us...

Wink

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 12:37pm

Post #9 of 65 (211 views)
Shortcut
in Minneapolis [In reply to] Can't Post

we have paper ballots that has empty ovals next to choices. One fills in the oval to vote for that choice.

see here: http://minnesotaindependent.com/48826/official-minneapolis-ballot-joey-lombard-is-awesome

Then that ballot is fed to a machine like this: http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2006/11/07/image2161139j.jpg

I believe the ballot is read electronically but, if questions arise or results are challenged, the paper ballots can be brought out for examination.

This happened during the last gubernatorial election when a recount that involved incredible scrutiny of the paper ballots lasted 5 weeks before the loser finally conceded.

Some people stand at tables with a small screen around them: http://images.publicradio.org/content/2009/11/03/20091103_voting_booth_33.jpg

But at least in my polling place, which is in the basement of a Catholic Church, people can also sit at the round cafeteria tables. This allows more people to vote at a time or for people who can't stand easily to sit. We're all pretty polite in South Mpls and we just give people lots of space and not sit next to them.

After voting, we get a sticker! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

acheron
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 12:53pm

Post #10 of 65 (193 views)
Shortcut
Go to a spot, and can choose between touchscreen and paper [In reply to] Can't Post

In Virginia in the US. I almost always choose the paper ballot, but there are touchscreens available as well. Usually paper is faster (because there are only a couple touchscreens available but plenty of places to fill out the paper).

I've previously voted in Ohio, too, though never on election day: once in person but early (go to the county courthouse and fill out a paper ballot), and once or twice purely absentee (fill out paper and mail it in).

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 6 2012, 1:22pm

Post #11 of 65 (224 views)
Shortcut
In Texas, we pull out our revolvers and shoot a hole next to the name of our favorite candidate. [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueCool

I have voted both with a paper ballot where you mark a little circle next to your choice, and with a touch screen machine. There is something about a paper ballot, though. I feel like it provides the "proof" of my vote, whereas an electronic vote just gets scattered in the ether, never to be seen again once it is logged.

We also have early voting, which I believe is a response to absentee voting. I think a lot of people here were voting absentee in years past, so they wouldn't have to deal with crowds on voting day. Then you can just go when it is convenient to your schedule. So the people in charge just extended "voting day" about two weeks before the real voting day, and you can vote whenever, at any polling location. On voting day, though, you have to go to the polling location specific to your precinct. The Eruvandes vote in an old school building from the early 1900s. The kind with walls so thick you don't need air conditioning. And it has that "old building" smell. I go on voting day just to see that building. Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Misto
Lorien

Nov 6 2012, 1:24pm

Post #12 of 65 (211 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Here in New Zealand we are old-school: cardboard booth, a big fat marker pen and a piece of paper, tick your choices, fold your paper and shove it in the box.

This. Walk to your next door school/community centre/whatever, put your ID on the table, get ticked off, grab your piece of paper and then mark your choice behind the screen before you stuff the paper into the box.

You can use the post option if you like but it never feels "real" to me. Also, I'm usually on standby the entire election day anyway (driving elderly people to the polling stations) so I got used to rising early and going straight to the ballot before I'm on duty from nine to five. After that I'm off to wherever the party of my choice waits for the results... and hopefully a good celebration Wink

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 2:51pm

Post #13 of 65 (190 views)
Shortcut
We have voting machines [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in Texas, too, but can't top AE's joke about shooting holes in the ballot Laugh

We voted early last week, at the sub-courthouse near here. It's not an interesting building, but it's roomy enough we didn't have to wait. Our machines have a dial you spin, which lights up the names of the candidates. You go down the list, make your choices, and the press a button which registers your vote.

It bothers us that there's no paper trail. As we all know, computers can go horribly awry horribly easily!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 3:57pm

Post #14 of 65 (182 views)
Shortcut
Here, we would consider 74% an amazing turnout!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 4:06pm

Post #15 of 65 (176 views)
Shortcut
Fill in the bubbles with a marker at my polling place. [In reply to] Can't Post

We had four choices this year: vote by mail, bring your mail-in ballot to the polling place and put it in the box, go to the polling place and fill out a paper ballot by coloring in the bubbles with a marker and putting the paper in the box, or using a touch screen. I've heard too many horror stories about touch screens (votes getting changed) so I went with the paper ballot. But I do like going to the polling place. I went early this year (we could go in two weeks early) so as not to get turned away by some last-minute emergency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 4:09pm

Post #16 of 65 (201 views)
Shortcut
Election? What election? [In reply to] Can't Post

nasty rumours Tongue

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 4:51pm

Post #17 of 65 (193 views)
Shortcut
my county [In reply to] Can't Post

which is rural (largest town is 8,000 folks, most people live out in the woods like me) has mail-in ballots that go out weeks before the election. A paper ballot; you fill in the balloons with black ink and sign the envelope. I voted two weeks ago. I love it. No lines, and as soon as your return envelope is registered, you stop getting the computer-generated phone calls telling you who to vote for.

Didn't stop the horrible ads on TV, which only get worse the closer the election gets. Or every other person on Facebook cheerily telling me to "get out and vote!" today, as if I wouldn't otherwise.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 6 2012, 4:52pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 5:06pm

Post #18 of 65 (192 views)
Shortcut
Colorado is a swing state too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Last Sunday in church our choir director was introducing a song called "Freedom" and he said "After Tuesday, we'll be free of all the phone calls and political ads," and the whole congregation applauded. We've been getting several phone calls every day, and have learned where the mute button is on the TV remote. And I get about 20 political e-mails a day too. I'll be glad when it's over.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 6 2012, 6:10pm

Post #19 of 65 (164 views)
Shortcut
That would be enough to prompt me to vote early. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
as soon as your return envelope is registered, you stop getting the computer-generated phone calls telling you who to vote for.

I hate being bugged at home by cold-callers.

I heard this morning that it can take up to half an hour to fill in all the choices on a US ballot - is that right?

I love that we do two ticks and done.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 6:15pm

Post #20 of 65 (182 views)
Shortcut
We voted weeks ago, and we still get a dozen calls a day. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gotten so when I pick up the phone, if I don't hear a voice right away, I just hang up again.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 7:56pm

Post #21 of 65 (155 views)
Shortcut
I suppose that's possible [In reply to] Can't Post

if there are a lot of initiatives and referendums where you have to vote yea or nay. In my state there are more of those now because a law got passed that makes it a requirement for voters to approve all kinds of things that used to just get dealt with by the state congress. Most of these are too trivial for words and have no real impact. Still, I would say this one took me 10 minutes. I had my dance card already marked so I didn't have to rethink decisions.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2012, 10:13pm

Post #22 of 65 (166 views)
Shortcut
Paper and pen [In reply to] Can't Post

My polling station is the Christian centre right next door to my flat - very convenient - you go in, tell them where you live, they give you a voting form, you go into a booth, mark a big cross next to your candidate, fold, put in the box and walk out. Takes no time. There's never any queue. I postal voted for a bit but it's actually easier in person since they moved the polling station from the school that was, admittedly, only five minutes down the road! Smile

Storm clouds

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 11:20pm

Post #23 of 65 (176 views)
Shortcut
In my neck of the woods [In reply to] Can't Post

we have polling stations for various areas; mine is in a local school. usually it's May when we vote in local elections; there's a huge flowering cherry tree in the garden of the school that is always absolutely beautiful at that time. However, to the business! Polling card comes in the post; you can register for a postal vote if you want, but I usually go along and vote in person. You show your card and they mark you off the list and give you a sheet of paper with the names and parties of the candidates on. You go over to the little partitioned area and, with a very high-tech pencil on a bit of string (yes, really!) you put an X in the box. Then you fold your paper and put it into the ballot box, whch is watched over by someone presumably to make sure you don't put anything horrible in there. Job done.

The amount of canvassing by phone, visit etc that has been going on in the US (we have a fair bit of TV coverage over here of the process) sounds pretty ferocious. I'll be interested to hear how high the turn-out is! Perhaps if they threw more money and resources at the business in this country they might get higher turn-outs; they tend to be miserably low. I think some people - perhaps in any country, actually! -have a certain strain of cussedness, though, that says the more you pester, the less likely I am to vote for you. Hmm...

imin
Valinor

Nov 7 2012, 12:22am

Post #24 of 65 (161 views)
Shortcut
Message going around on facebook - relating to US elections [In reply to] Can't Post

A MESSAGE FROM THE QUEEN

To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except North Dakota, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

-----------------------

1. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour,' 'favour,' 'labour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise.' Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

------------------------

2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ''like' and 'you know' is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter 'u'' and the elimination of '-ize.'

-------------------

3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

-----------------

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

----------------------

6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

--------------------

7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.

-------------------

8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

-------------------

9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable, as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

---------------------

10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialect in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

---------------------

11. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

---------------------

12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

--------------------

13.. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

-----------------

14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

---------------

15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God Save the Queen!

PS: Only share this with friends who have a good sense of humour (NOT humor)!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7 2012, 12:57am

Post #25 of 65 (142 views)
Shortcut
I first saw this [In reply to] Can't Post

after the 'hanging chads' saga ... how many years ago? Was it the George W Bush vs Al Gore election?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.