Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What is Legolas' involvement? (spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 11:56pm

Post #1 of 32 (1235 views)
Shortcut
What is Legolas' involvement? (spoilers) Can't Post

"Although a Prince of the Woodland Realm and a High Elf, like his father Thranduil, Legolas is more likely to be found patrolling the forest alongside the Sylvan Elves of the Woodland Guard than in the Court of the King. Tall and lithe, he is a lethal fighter and fiercely loyal to his father and his people; however, events in the outside world have begun to encroach upon the insular world of the Wood Elves. A growing sense of foreboding forces Legolas to choose between the will of his father and his own conscience."

Just caught this on the Lego website (http://thehobbit.lego.com/...s/characters/legolas)

Might this mean Legolas will free the dwarves?

It also includes a brief description of Itaril, I mean Tauriel, that could be worth discussing here. Wink

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Nov 5 2012, 11:58pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 12:03am

Post #2 of 32 (596 views)
Shortcut
It is hard to be sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

This source is a good one for hints but sources like this have not always been correct and are subject to change (as we have seen with those toys that ended up only being partially correct).

There is probably still some development going on around the involvement of Legolas (and Tauriel).

In the books he wasn't involved at all.

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 12:36am

Post #3 of 32 (625 views)
Shortcut
The attitude of Gimli toward Legolas during Elronds counsel [In reply to] Can't Post

would be unjustifiable if Legolas is the one who freed Gimli's father. So I don't think so, it would be incoherent

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 12:41am

Post #4 of 32 (573 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Legolas actually decides to go with his fathers will... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the description hints at him following his conscience, maybe he is obedient to Thranduil in most of The Hobbit. Perhaps there is a falling out at the end of BOFA which pushes Legolas to go to rivendell and join the fellowship. If they could pull it off, that would work best IMO.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 6 2012, 12:54am

Post #5 of 32 (530 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

if I remember correctly there was a quote from a cast member mentioning Legolas sparring with Thranduil. Perhaps the two will debate the matter in that context (as many mentor-pupil pairs are wont to do in action films).

Also, the description of the Yazneg minifigure seems to put the final nail in the coffin for speculating that he is anything other than an orc.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 1:08am

Post #6 of 32 (500 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

would be unjustifiable if Legolas is the one who freed Gimli's father. So I don't think so, it would be incoherent

Exactly, there wouldn't be that animosity between Legolas and the dwarves IMO if Legolas frees them or helps free them. Legolas himself seemed to genuinely not like the dwarves Wink

Perhaps there is a falling out at the end of BOFA which pushes Legolas to go to rivendell and join the fellowship.

I believe it was Thranduil who actually sent Legolas to Rivendell to the council of Elrond to find out what was going on So I don't think this will be the case although Jackson has changed a number of other things Crazythat don't make sense to me. Who knows... Wink

Hopefully at least IMO Legolas is more involved with the Dol Guldur subplot and left out of interacting with the dwarves. That way Jackson can at least try and keep some sort of flow between the films

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Nov 6 2012, 1:10am)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 2:09am

Post #7 of 32 (442 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

it would seem all this talk of continuity between trilogies would be a waste if they invalidate basic character motivations.

maybe it was all a dream Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 6 2012, 2:40am

Post #8 of 32 (450 views)
Shortcut
We don't know that he wasn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the books he wasn't involved at all.

Legolas wasn't mentioned by name, but as the son of Thranduil he must have been around, and could have been any of the many unnamed Woodland Elves.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 3:04am

Post #9 of 32 (409 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully you're right about Yazneg // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Escapist
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 3:16am

Post #10 of 32 (436 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't involved vs was not involved [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant the first ... meaning he wasn't specified as being involved ... not the second (that he was specified as not being involved).

I think the most likely explanation and the one that requires the minimum of extraneous story-building is that Legolas was there and with Thranduil.

But I couldn't say that this must be the case because I seem to remember a quote from Gandalf along the lines of heroes and warriors being hard to find and involved in wars in far-away lands. Legolas to me would rate as a hero and while it may be possible (but not necessarily the case) that he was among those that Gandalf was referring to, that line of thinking requires so much extraneous story-building that I just don't think it works for these movies.

But I think that your choice of wording better reflects this ambiguity.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 8:08am

Post #11 of 32 (349 views)
Shortcut
Whatever role he has, it will be too much ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 8:09am

Post #12 of 32 (321 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it has very little to do with the Dwarves? Maybe Legolas wants to go out "exploring", but Thranduil deems it to be too dangerous? Perhaps Legolas tries to prevent his father from going to War?

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 8:57am

Post #13 of 32 (312 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure Bilbo will still free the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

However, the book suggests the wood elves are aware of the dwarves from the instant they enter Mirkwood, but leave them alone so long as they stick to the road and mind their own business.

Maybe Legolas, as a scout, is keeping tabs on the dwarves, and realises they are running out of supplies. He wants to help (and supplies the convenient boat), but if forbidden to do so by his farther. Nevertheless, he intervenes and helps rescue the dwarves from the spiders, then takes them into the elven caverns as prisoners. This leads to the big bust up and Legolas leaving to find the source of the spiders. The dwarves never become aware that Legolas wanted to help them.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 2:14pm

Post #14 of 32 (246 views)
Shortcut
Unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Legolas could free the Dwarves without revealing his identity (I am the Dread Wood-elf Roberts!). If Gloin never knew who the Wood-elf was who aided them then neither would Gimli have known.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 2:16pm

Post #15 of 32 (264 views)
Shortcut
Why would Legolas remain hostile to Dwarves during LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

If he freed a group of Dwarves 60 years previously, wouldn't he look kinder on Gimli during LOTR?

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 2:25pm

Post #16 of 32 (240 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. That is the other problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, Legolas could believe that his father is being unfair while still not particularly liking Thorin and his companions. But, going against Thranduil on such an issue would be a serious matter. I'm not sure that Legolas aiding the Dwarves would be a good idea either.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 2:28pm

Post #17 of 32 (267 views)
Shortcut
The hostility between Legolas and Gimli is a lot less in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

than it is in the books.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 2:30pm

Post #18 of 32 (236 views)
Shortcut
It's still there, nonetheless. [In reply to] Can't Post

But since this is the film, Legolas helping in anyway with the Dwarves escaping directly conflicts with his character in the LOTR trilogy.

Seaber
Rivendell

Nov 6 2012, 2:31pm

Post #19 of 32 (231 views)
Shortcut
Legolas is hardly hostile to Gimli at all in the films [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, he holds his fellow elves back at the Council of Elrond. So if he freed the dwarves, it could be justified.

I sincerely HOPE he doesn't though! Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 2:34pm

Post #20 of 32 (224 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to like [In reply to] Can't Post

or approve of someone to feel moral-bound to help them in distress.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 2:37pm

Post #21 of 32 (230 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say the Dwarves were in distress. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were well looked after. They weren't suffering.

But I get the point. Tongue

It's just best to leave Legolas with a grudge towards Dwarves. It doesn't have to be explicit. His trademark stare would do.

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 6 2012, 2:41pm

Post #22 of 32 (207 views)
Shortcut
I'm not talking about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Legolas has already gone off in a huff by the barrel escape.

The "helping" is on the journey through Mirkwood, and against the spiders.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 2:45pm

Post #23 of 32 (222 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas (and Tauriel) fighting off the Spiders doesn't bother me, as long as Bilbo does the hard work beforehand.

If that is the case, I wouldn't see it as "helping" the Company, per se. The Dwarves (compared to the Spiders) are the lesser of two Evils (to the Elves). Kill off the Spiders, and capture the Dwarves. Yes, it's helping them survive, but also also helping them for the Elve's own reasons.

comandantedavid
The Shire

Nov 6 2012, 2:52pm

Post #24 of 32 (213 views)
Shortcut
This is right... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the film, the hostility is almost all on Gimli's side - at least to start with. After "I will be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf," Legolas is understandably not too enthusiastic about his companion.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 2:56pm

Post #25 of 32 (208 views)
Shortcut
Which is just as worse [In reply to] Can't Post

Gloin must have told Gimli about his adventures in Mirkwood, and the subsequent befriending of the Dwarves and Mirkwood Elves after the BO5A. Surely Gloin would've told Gimli to be friendly to any Mirkwood Elves on any of his journies.

Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.