Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 2:50pm

Post #1 of 19 (217 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

imin
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 19 (145 views)
Shortcut
Skyfall [In reply to] Can't Post

The best bond that Daniel Craig has done and one of, if not the best bond of all. Really enjoyed it. Classic bond but for the 21st century. Loved the last act being played out all in the UK rather than hopping around the globe. Javier Bardem was brilliantly cast and had a great story behind him. Judi Dench was as good as ever and have a much greater role in this film.

I would recommend it to anyone who likes the previous bond films or bond type movies. I am surprised more people from the UK on here haven't seen it/posted about it. I think the previous movies went away somewhat from what makes bond, bond. This film goes back to that a bit - hence me calling it classic bond, though i imagine some will think it still has some way to go to get there. For me personally i am glad where it is and dont want it to go back to the camp, roger moore bond or sci-fi gadgets of the world is not enough etc. It was a darker, more character driven film than previous bonds and normally he is out to save the world - not so much this time. Some will not like this, for me i felt it made bond more interesting and human - a better film. I do like the Bourne movies and i feel this bond more than others was replicating Bourne, again if you are a classic bond fan it may not be to your liking, though compared to QoS im sure everyone will be happy!

Currently got a very high rating of 85/100 metascore and an average of 8.2/10 on imdb and 91% on Rotten Tomatoes (may vary depending on which country you are in).

I am really interested to see where they go with Bond from here as they made frequent referrences to Bond being old, over the hill - not passing physical test, emotional etc. Can't wait!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 5 2012, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 19 (113 views)
Shortcut
Four Lions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this in the cinema and laughed nearly all the way through, but it doesn't hold up on a second viewing. Not one giggle was to be had. Unsure

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 5 2012, 6:46pm

Post #4 of 19 (165 views)
Shortcut
Cloud Atlas [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband dragged me to this one, neither one of us knowing much about it before. Our grown daughter went with us. They liked it more than I did.

The plot involves six stories woven together with a reincarnation thread. It reminded me a lot of Inception, where you have to try to keep all the plots straight in your head all at once. (I didn't like that one much either.)

It was very well done and visually pretty, and I liked the cleverness of having the same actors playing so many different roles. And I liked the gender-bending and race-bending. (Hugo weaving plays a woman in one story, and an Asian man in another. My daughter couldn't decide if having him play an Asian man was offensive, after all the FuManchu-type movies that have been made. But then an Asian woman played a freckled redhead in one of the plots, so it balanced out.)

But I really couldn't get into the stories much. There were so many of them, and they were so different in tone, and so many of them were so depressing. And the one that was supposed to be comic relief depressed me most of all, because of a family situation (it involved an escape from a nursing home, and we're dealing with an elderly relative with dementia who has to be kept in a secured facility, which makes me really sad.)

That said, there were a few scenes I liked a lot. My favorite one involved a lot of broken dishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 5 2012, 6:49pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 8:58pm

Post #5 of 19 (128 views)
Shortcut
Mirror, Mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

Oddly enough, this recent movie was streamable on Netflix. That's a rare-enough occurrence for a movie that I've heard of that we jumped at the chance for a family movie night.

I think Mrs. Notta & the Nottettes liked it better than I did. I liked it and certainly didn't feel like it was a waste of time, but the movie seemed too art-housy for my tastes, I guess.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 10:30pm

Post #6 of 19 (136 views)
Shortcut
Howard's End [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I had seen this movie when it first came out years ago, but I guess I hadn't. I didn't remember any of it.

Vanessa Redgrave plays a woman who is sick and hand writes a codicil to her will leaving her home, Howard's End, to a young spinster neighbor, played by Emma Thompson. The woman's family decides to destroy the codicil without ever mentioning it to the young woman. One thing leads to another, the widower (Anthony Hopkins) falls in love with and marries the young woman, her sister disgraces the family many times over, and the widower ends up giving Howard's End to the young woman anyway.

Luscious Merchant-Ivory production, with a plump, young Helena Bonham-Carter as the disgraceful sister. I liked it, but it is not my favorite Merchant-Ivory production. That would probably be A Room with a View, with a very un-Daniel Day-Lewis Daniel Day-Lewis. CrazyLaugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 5 2012, 10:51pm

Post #7 of 19 (120 views)
Shortcut
Iron Man 2 & Call the [In reply to] Can't Post

Midwife. Iron Man 2 sucked but I enjoyed Call the Midwife. I just love Chummy!

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 6 2012, 1:20am

Post #8 of 19 (117 views)
Shortcut
Four more days until it reaches the States! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Oh, the agony of waiting!!

"We named the monkey Jack."

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 6 2012, 1:24am

Post #9 of 19 (134 views)
Shortcut
Casablanca (for the second time, actually) at a local theater that shows old and art house films [In reply to] Can't Post

I own this movie, but there's nothing like seeing it in the theater.

"We named the monkey Jack."

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 6 2012, 5:45am

Post #10 of 19 (148 views)
Shortcut
Darling Companion, Hysteria, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World [In reply to] Can't Post

Darling Companion was sweet and enjoyable, but I suspect will appeal more to those at midlife or beyond, like all its stars. A woman (Diane Keaton) finds a lost dog and ends up adopting it; a year later, amid the hoopla of a family wedding, the dog gets lost in the woods. Diane & her husband Kevin Kline, along with his sister Dianne Wiest and her new boyfriend Richard Jenkins (whom the family are deeply suspicious of), Dianne's son, and the young woman who caretakes their vacation home spend three days and nights looking for the dog, and of course have all kinds of adventures and insights about their relationships. Filmed in the Colorado Rockies, so lots of pretty scenery. Richard Jenkins steals the movie as usual.

Hysteria was okay; a comedic portrayal (with a lot of liberties taken) of the invention of the vibrator. Weighed down by the B plot involving a crusading suffragette. Rupert Everett has a great time standing to one side and making wry observations, and was the best thing about it.

I loved Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. I'm a big fan of Steve Carell when he does straight drama, and Keira Knightley surprised me in a good way with her portrayal of the younger woman who embarks with Steve on a journey to reconnect with old lovers and family before a huge asteroid hits the Earth and kills everyone. There's enough time spent on how people are dealing, positively and negatively, with the impending Armageddon, but it's not overblown; the focus of the film is on two very different people finding their way to each other in their hearts.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 11:53am

Post #11 of 19 (87 views)
Shortcut
A few [In reply to] Can't Post

Napolean Dynamite-good not great
Zombieland-OK
Watchmen (Directors Cut)-Loved it (mind you I only finished reading the comic a few weeks ago)

I also saw Skyfall last week-a bit long, a not overly surprising climax, and not perhaps as much action as you'd expect for the 50th aniversary...that said, it boasted terrific direction, story and acting (Craig is the best Bond IMO), and a great opening set peice, definitely one of the better films (OHMSS still tops for me).

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 2:07pm

Post #12 of 19 (107 views)
Shortcut
Yellow Submarine, Superman the Animated Series [In reply to] Can't Post

Sat down for some good old fashioned Beatles fun with the new Yellow Submarine DVD. For a while I thought they had removed the "Hey Bulldog" cue, but thankfully it was still there. I knew it wasn't part of the theatrical edition, but I forgot that it came more towards the end. Tongue I can never get tired of the Beatle humor, and there's always new stuff to pick up on.

I've started marathoning through the Superman series from the 90s. It was a show I never watched growing up (though I did watch Batman), so it's kinda neat to be stepping through part of my childhood that never was, kind of like when I watch a japanese giant monster movie I haven't seen.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2012, 6:53pm

Post #13 of 19 (76 views)
Shortcut
Cleanskin [In reply to] Can't Post

I came across this last week -- it stars Sean Bean as an undercover operator fighting home-grown terrorism ( a cleanskin is a terrorist who has never appeared on any domestic radar). I can't say I enjoyed it as it's quite brutal in places, but there was some good acting.

FINALLY got to see The Hobbit trailer at the theatre while seeing The Bourne Legacy again, because my husband finally consented to see it. I got chills at the dwarfs' singing. And I'm planning to see Skyfall this weekend.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 6 2012, 11:47pm

Post #14 of 19 (93 views)
Shortcut
finally - someone besides me who's not crazy [In reply to] Can't Post

about Inception!

Think I'll stick with trying to read Cloud Atlas rather than watching the movie, then. . .

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 3:17am

Post #15 of 19 (62 views)
Shortcut
The book is better [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Merchant - Ivory did a wonderful job with the adaptation, I think Howard's End is the most difficult of the E.M. Forster novels that they tackled to translate to the screen. A Room With a View almost seemed written to be made into a movie Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 3:20am

Post #16 of 19 (54 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I would love to see Casablanca on the big screen. // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2012, 3:27am

Post #17 of 19 (116 views)
Shortcut
Finally saw Rudy with dear Sean Astin (Ru-dy, Ru-dy, Ru-dy) [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never really wanted to see this because I thought it was just another "Cinderella story" sports film. But it was so moving! It's not about the underdog saving the day, it's about the underdog doggedly (sorryBlush) pursuing his dream and finally, with the help of others who admire his determination, achieving that dream. I teared up a couple of times.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Nov 7 2012, 4:38am

Post #18 of 19 (71 views)
Shortcut
Watched it tonight to avoid election broadcasts. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a long way from great, but I thought it was cute and pretty entertaining! I particularly liked the wisecracks and humor throughout. One of the best parts was definitely the ending credits - very Bollywood-esque!

Thanks for the Netflix tip, by the way!

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Nov 8 2012, 6:20pm

Post #19 of 19 (133 views)
Shortcut
Let's see...on the big screen, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Wreck-It Ralph [In reply to] Can't Post

Perks - Nicely constructed movie, if sometimes painful to watch as it brought back those memories of awkward adolescence. Poignant, funny, and at times, harrowing. Emma Watson was quite good.

Wreck-It Ralph - my gamer son (whose collegiate major is digital game design) convinced me to see this with him. Wreck-It Ralph and pals were just the ticket to wipe away any lingering memories of teenaged angst from the aforementioned film. Although my gaming is really old school (as in pre-digital pinball), I nonetheless appreciated the references to games of the 80s and 90s, as well as more intense (and violent) games. The animation is fantastic, and although the plot is not hard to predict, the pace was good and the characters were engaging.

On the small screen, I watched The Trip, Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's mockumentary. Their riffing was very funny, not necessarily LOL funny, but still, amusing. It was also a neat travelogue of sorts for northern England.

I also caught up with Breaking Bad through the end of season 4. Truly a remarkable series and just my ticket with its exploration of the inner angels and demons of human nature. Giancarlo Esposito is one amazing actor.

I checked out the official Hobbit AUJ web site and was chewing over the dates and venues here in the Boston metro area. I'm pretty sure we'll go to the showing at the Loews at Boston Common. It's a large theater that retains design elements of a bygone era, and has comfy chairs.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.