Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'The Hobbit' star Martin Freeman calls Bilbo Baggins 'pompous'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 5 2012, 1:31am

Post #1 of 33 (1568 views)
Shortcut
'The Hobbit' star Martin Freeman calls Bilbo Baggins 'pompous' Can't Post

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-hobbit-star-martin-freeman-calls-bilbo-baggins/289698

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 1:48am

Post #2 of 33 (951 views)
Shortcut
This kind-of confirms something that worries me about Bilbo's persona... [In reply to] Can't Post

The book is charming and whimsical, NOT a comedy. This aspect seems potentially over-done, IMO. However, thanks for sharing the article! Smile

Much of the comedy comes from seeing his correctness face danger for the first time.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 5 2012, 1:56am

Post #3 of 33 (826 views)
Shortcut
I agree but I think the character can still be salvaged [In reply to] Can't Post

He said "much of the comedy" probably meaning, "much of Bilbo's comedy". He didn't say "much of the film."

I think when he is not being funny, he may feel more like Bilbo. A "You will promise that I will come back." genuine personality with a bit of talking to himself throughout the film is enough to have me sold that Martin is Bilbo.

40 more days...

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 2:00am

Post #4 of 33 (816 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is Freeman's quote:

When asked what he thinks separates the two hobbit characters, Freeman said: "He [Bilbo] is intrinsically more correct than Frodo, more pompous. Frodo is more open Bilbo has to be broken open like a clam. Much of the comedy comes from seeing his correctness face danger for the first time."

That is, almost to a T, precisely where a lot of the humor in the books finds itself. Furthermore, Freeman's description of Bilbo seems spot on, and very consistent with his book counterpart.

If anything, this description reveals how much PJ distorted Frodo's character for LOTR. Frodo was far more "British" and less "open" in the books than he was in the films, where he was essentially a blank cipher.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 2:07am

Post #5 of 33 (781 views)
Shortcut
What I mean is that Bilbo in the book actually reacted to what was occuring around him [In reply to] Can't Post

Not blowing it off with cool, "comedic" replies as we've seen in (at least a bit) of Bilbo's character in the film. Though granted, the characters we saw in the LotR trailers and TV spots were pretty much what we got in the films.

Bilbo being more reserved, more proper, in the novel, doesn't result in his making light of the trolls and Gollum as he does (as least at some point), in the film. Hearing MF articulate that this is the route they've taken is a tad worrysome, is all...I really hope the films are not all-out comedies. For Bilbo to have MORE of a dry English wit, say when he's not in immediate danger, I don't really have a problem with.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 2:09am

Post #6 of 33 (724 views)
Shortcut
Yup, perfect IMO. No issues here whatsoever! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

MF has a wonky way of saying it maybe, but the actual meaning of what he said there is great

^my own sentence there was wonky lol Sly

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Nov 5 2012, 4:08am

Post #7 of 33 (652 views)
Shortcut
I think that is at the core of the character! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just imagine for a moment that you've only interacted with pleasantly polite folk all your life, and then suddenly you're in the way of some folks who want to harm you. Would your immediate reaction be silence and screaming? I think for Bilbo, reasoning is his tool in this situation, and it is quite humorous. I think particularly with the "joking with trolls" bit we haven't seen the full lead up to it, but I think the reaction fits in tone with his character. The cordiality of his talk with Gollum is definitely there in the books, and people are just bagging on it because it's different. The trolls make even more sense for his reasoning side to come out, since it's the first encounter he has. This is one of the arcs, I think, where Bilbo will soon realize that he can't talk his way out of everything, especially once they get to Mirkwood.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 5 2012, 5:10am

Post #8 of 33 (622 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That is, almost to a T, precisely where a lot of the humor in the books finds itself. Furthermore, Freeman's description of Bilbo seems spot on, and very consistent with his book counterpart.

I always pictured Bilbo as being slightly self-centered and pompous. Although I still liked Frodo's portrayal in the movies I think Bilbo can actually draw more of a connection and love from the audience. He's quirky and out of place on his adventure, and IMO this seems like something that would be more enjoyable to watch than a character who slowly deteriorates as the story progresses.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 5 2012, 5:28am

Post #9 of 33 (619 views)
Shortcut
but the hobbit IS a comedy [In reply to] Can't Post

a fantasy adventure comedy. The inherent situation and plot of The Hobbit is comedic. Stuffy english man gets thrown into medieval notions of adventure and mayhem.

comedy. Angelic

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 5:47am

Post #10 of 33 (637 views)
Shortcut
Charming/airy/whimsical yes - a straight-up "comedy", not so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

What worries me about this is that PJ will overdo the "detached quality" of Bilbo for comedic effect. The Bilbo being "clam-like" makes him seem outwardly impervious...remember the Bilbo of the book was prone to funny queer fits, tended to be quite adamant about not being eaten/smooshed/cooked, ETC.

But in any event, we've yet to see too much of Bilbo's role on-screen, so it's for now unknown just how he'll fare (I know I brought it up, but I don't want to get to off-track seeing as we've discussed it recently anyway). Wink

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 5 2012, 5:56am)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 6:49am

Post #11 of 33 (590 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

remember the Bilbo of the book was prone to funny queer fits, tended to be quite adamant about not being eaten/smooshed/cooked, ETC.

We've already heard Freeman complain about possible "incineration" and then faint in the presence of the dwarves, so we'll certainly be seeing some of those funny queer fits.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 5 2012, 7:58am

Post #12 of 33 (569 views)
Shortcut
This is probably what Gandalf picks up on too [In reply to] Can't Post

We know Gandalf is disappointed by how much Bilbo has changed since their last meeting.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 3:27pm

Post #13 of 33 (403 views)
Shortcut
well he didn't faint in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I'm a bit concerned it is portrayed OTT though how he stops turns and then just drops like a stone after saying his whole line of dialogue. Seems to me if it bothered him that badly he would have been speechless and simply fainted at the thought of incineration instead of turning to look at the camera say no and faint. Things seem to be being played up as outright comedy instead of has been said charming and whimsical. Wink OTT is not always better IMO Unsure

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 4:56pm

Post #14 of 33 (336 views)
Shortcut
But again, in an artificial, affected way... ;P // [In reply to] Can't Post

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 5 2012, 4:57pm

Post #15 of 33 (352 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Hobbit book IS a comedy, but we'll see how they treat the film, which is a beast of its own. Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 5 2012, 5:36pm

Post #16 of 33 (329 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

My worry is that PJ, as is his wont, is choosing the most over-the-top takes out of a number of more subtle ones. I wonder if that sort of thing will irk an actor like Freeman, who is very self-critical.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 5 2012, 6:47pm

Post #17 of 33 (410 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo didn't faint dead away, but he did have a fit... [In reply to] Can't Post

From "An Unexpected Party":

Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel...Then he fell flat on teh floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning!" over and over again; and that was all they could get out of him for a long time.

It's not quite the same, but the fainting might work better on film than the fit.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2012, 7:43pm

Post #18 of 33 (290 views)
Shortcut
Its not the fainting I mind [In reply to] Can't Post

Its the OTT portrayal and comedic style that I'm not a big fan of. I would figure fainting would work a bit better than the way it was in the book but it just looks like a staged faint to me and not someone genuinely fainting. Kind of reminds me in the three stooges how they faint to be honest.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 5 2012, 7:46pm

Post #19 of 33 (282 views)
Shortcut
Understood... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just not ready to judge it too harshly when seen out-of-context.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

totoro
Lorien

Nov 6 2012, 3:31am

Post #20 of 33 (209 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad they went with fainting [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the struck by lightning bit in the book was kind of stupid. (No offense, JRRT.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 8:13am

Post #21 of 33 (168 views)
Shortcut
But the fainting is incredibly fake from the trailer ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Nov 6 2012, 10:46am

Post #22 of 33 (159 views)
Shortcut
Dont you know the hobbit is a laugh a minute comedy? lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I think children will find that bit funny. For me it looks fake and cheesy but in the book he kinda freaked out as well so it is in keeping with the book, but perhaps they could have done it in a more realistic manner - but then that wouldnt have been funny to children/people who like fake faints, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 10:54am

Post #23 of 33 (161 views)
Shortcut
It will get plenty of laughs [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think a real faint, with Balin's bit and the Dwarves reactions, would've been equally funny.

Unless it's part of the plot - Bilbo pretends to faint in the hope the Dwarves will go and find someone else. Unimpressed

imin
Valinor

Nov 6 2012, 11:00am

Post #24 of 33 (167 views)
Shortcut
Personally what you are describing i would find more funny [In reply to] Can't Post

As what we see in the trailer just looks so fake to me i cant laugh other than laugh at it and it takes me out of the scene if that happens.

But i do think little kids would find that kinda exaggerated faint more humourous than a real faint where they might be concerned for Bilbo. We cant get everything we want, lol Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 6 2012, 11:03am

Post #25 of 33 (154 views)
Shortcut
You speak the truth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We cant get everything we want, lol Tongue

I can imagine Bilbo pretending to faint, actually. And then slowly opening one eye to see if the coast is clearly, only to see the Dwarves helping themselves to more food.

I don't particularly like the idea, but I think it's pre- Quest Bilbo-esque.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.