Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Is there a scene you would change?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Nov 1 2012, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 49 (972 views)
Shortcut
Is there a scene you would change? Can't Post

For me I would like to see the Galadriel/Frodo scene done better... it left me feeling a bit like she was a crazy witch and it was a complete departure from the Galadriel of the books... feel free to discuss this or add your own scene that didn't quite meet your expectations...

Evil

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 2:34pm

Post #2 of 49 (624 views)
Shortcut
scene change [In reply to] Can't Post

I would change the dreadfully long wake up scene at the end of ROTK. It just drug on so long and ruined some of the moment for me.

I disagree with you on Galadriel however. That's the way I read that scene. the power of what she is saying is frighteningly Noldorian, very reminiscent of Feanor to me.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 49 (643 views)
Shortcut
Any scene in which [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas does a physically impossible stunt, and any scene in which Gimli deviates from his book-self.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 1 2012, 2:44pm)

Ioreth
The Shire

Nov 1 2012, 3:12pm

Post #4 of 49 (694 views)
Shortcut
"nuclear Galadriel" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nuclear Galadriel" is the first to be heavily edited if and when I'll do a cut for myself :)

The over-the-top-morphing is the one moment I hate most in the whole first film ...

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Nov 1 2012, 3:29pm

Post #5 of 49 (627 views)
Shortcut
Bubbles as usual [In reply to] Can't Post

for me. There was no need to have the ghosts appearing at the battle: showing them overwhelming (by fear only) the people on the boats, the slaves being freed and the ghosts being released would have set up a nice cliffhanger for the battle - would the reinforcements get there in time? etc. The battle in the book is a close-run thing; the arrival of a supernatural force makes it an easy victory and devalues the point of our heroes fighting - they could have just sat down and had a picnic while the ghosts did all the work.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 1 2012, 4:05pm

Post #6 of 49 (610 views)
Shortcut
About 85% of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Elutherian
Rohan

Nov 1 2012, 4:09pm

Post #7 of 49 (627 views)
Shortcut
I love the films just the way they are.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But I wouldn't mind cutting the scene where Gimli blows away ghost hands and runs clumsily over skulls in The Paths of the Dead.

I liked that Gimli was funny.... that moment just made him look like a clown.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 4:43pm

Post #8 of 49 (590 views)
Shortcut
The whole scene should have been refilmed [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they forget about it or something? It was too rushed, in my opinion.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 4:46pm

Post #9 of 49 (614 views)
Shortcut
yep green toilet cleaner bubbles [In reply to] Can't Post

for me too.
its such an anti-climax. You get a great build up to it, they are in the thick of an epic battle, and Aragorn, Lego and Gimli wait at the harbour for the orc ships to land, Aragorn charges, OOHHhhhh.....oh.....fizzle.....whoosh....toilet cleaners.....bah! is that it??? *******
I expected swords flashing in the gloom and this truly deathly chilling army to rise out of the stuff of nightmares, I expected seeing the desperate soldiers of Minas Tirith see these dread spirits and for them to hide their faces in terror while the Dead army passes them by leaving nothing but dead orcs in their path. I wanted a sense of how Aragorn and co must have felt with this nameless horror following behind them. But all we got was green toilet bubbles flushing out the city.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 5:00pm

Post #10 of 49 (569 views)
Shortcut
Have to agree with you on this// [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole skull thing and the paths of the dead felt a little Ghost Busters to me.

imin
Valinor

Nov 1 2012, 5:28pm

Post #11 of 49 (580 views)
Shortcut
Frodo telling Sam to go home [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish that was not added.

As i said in another thread i would change the scene with merry and pippin lighting a firework and getting caught by gandalf - i think they could get it right, just they sounded wrong to me.

I agree with all the other suggestions in this thread - paths of the dead, gimli, legolas.

I would make the wargs look like wolves not hyenas. They really look bad but im super excited about the wargs in the hobbit and cant wait to see them!

Also i would not have aragorn kill the mouth of sauron and wouldnt have gothmog as an orc.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 49 (585 views)
Shortcut
yes no hyenas [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember watching the extended edition stuff about the "Sam, go home" scene. I always wondered why they had it in there like that. Then I remember being somewhat confused as to how they were separated at Shelob's cave. I always get a little confused at that point in the book, it may be that i always get to that point really late at night and end up reading too fast. But to me in the movies it made sense to create the issue of Sam not being there when Frodo gets poisoned by Shelob. It worked for me to have the tension and provided a way for some more depth to the Frodo/Gollum relationship they had been building in the films. At the same time, there had to be a better way.

I agree, when they do the firework stunt they seem way too mischievious to me, like they didn't quite have their characters worked out completely.

there's also the point in FOTR when Merry walks up to Frodo and says "That Black rider was looking for something or someone..." his tone is way too detective like and way too authoritative for Merry to me.

Istaris'staffs
Rivendell

Nov 1 2012, 6:23pm

Post #13 of 49 (570 views)
Shortcut
I would have [In reply to] Can't Post

reworked Saruman's death scene so that it could be included in the theatrical version of the film... I thought that was horrible to leave out.

The cheesy comedy moments of course would be reworked.

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 1 2012, 7:04pm

Post #14 of 49 (592 views)
Shortcut
Scourging [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have put Saruman or even Grima in the shire and show the Hobbits as heroic as they are in the book somehow. though that makes a long movie even longer, and we already had the climactic battle. still though...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 9:04pm

Post #15 of 49 (564 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - They could've kept Saruman's death almost the same [In reply to] Can't Post

And excluded the rest of the scouring.

TheBladeGlowsBlue
Rivendell

Nov 1 2012, 10:48pm

Post #16 of 49 (589 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's acting was good, but [In reply to] Can't Post

my overriding memory of the scene is of her morphing into this crazy looking blue faced witch with a weird voice...

They ruined the scene by doing that IMHO.

And Frodo falling onto his back (he seemed to that a lot in the movies!) just capped off a badly-directed scene, again IMHO.

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 11:26pm

Post #17 of 49 (567 views)
Shortcut
I thought Celeborns [In reply to] Can't Post

zombie voice was much worse. Crazy

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 11:59pm

Post #18 of 49 (582 views)
Shortcut
"Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him." [In reply to] Can't Post

It did sound rather deadpan. This is Celeborn,a great elf, his voice should've been more ethereal and, for want of a better word, authoritive. He did sound like a zombie, and he shouldn't of, because he was an elf, and an elf is no zombie.

imin
Valinor

Nov 2 2012, 12:04am

Post #19 of 49 (538 views)
Shortcut
Thats true [In reply to] Can't Post

i think deadpan or lifeless is definitely a good way to put it. I also didnt like his 5 o'clock shadow he had going on considering he is meant to be an elf. Crazy

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 12:17am

Post #20 of 49 (550 views)
Shortcut
While I love the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I would make Gimli less funny, and more noble and honorable like the dwarf he is, take out all the crazy stunts Legolas does, he is not a show-off, he is a valiant elf! And redo the seen in ROTK where Frodo "falls" right before the Eye catches him. Instead, I would have Frodo either just faint, or when Sam shouts to Frodo to look out for the Eye, Frodo wears an expression of horror, and quickly ducks for cover. I would also change the death scene of Denethor.

GoodGuyA
Lorien

Nov 2 2012, 2:59am

Post #21 of 49 (517 views)
Shortcut
Such a lovely realistic view of the situation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I like the Eye stuff, perhaps simply because the Eye in itself is a brilliant piece of iconic imagery (like many pieces of the film and book). If I had to pick exactly one scene (going with Theatrical version here), I would have to pick the Army of the Dead at Minas Tirith. While it didn't bother me so much the first time, it does undermine a great deal of importance about the battle. I don't think they should have just fought off screen "Spreading fear in the South" but they were never meant to "solve" the situation. It was just a turn around of the battle due to many factors.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Nov 2 2012, 8:43am

Post #22 of 49 (526 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree with you. Totally.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 2 2012, 11:24am

Post #23 of 49 (514 views)
Shortcut
can you imagine him [In reply to] Can't Post

asking the staff to buy toilet paper in that voice? No wonder Galadriel gets romantical with Gandalf, at least he has a sense of humour. sheesh. Crazy

Nightingale
Rohan

Nov 2 2012, 5:15pm

Post #24 of 49 (508 views)
Shortcut
Any scene where Legolas speaks ;-)// [In reply to] Can't Post

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C. S. Lewis

"That line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me..." - Laurie's Song

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Nov 3 2012, 2:20pm

Post #25 of 49 (475 views)
Shortcut
The skulls. So many skulls. [In reply to] Can't Post

How can there be so many skulls in the Paths of the Dead? And why the avalanche?

Frodo sending Sam away.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.