Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Should Magpie Make His Own Poll?
Poll: Should Magpie Make His Own Poll?
Yes
No
Other
View Results (21 votes)

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 20 2012, 6:00am

Post #1 of 21 (637 views)
Shortcut
Should Magpie Make His Own Poll? Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 20 2012, 6:37am

Post #2 of 21 (251 views)
Shortcut
What is this about? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the first place, Magpie is a She. In the second place, why should she make or not make a poll? I have no idea what the question is, let alone how to answer.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 20 2012, 7:10am

Post #3 of 21 (272 views)
Shortcut
This may explain the poll... [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 20 2012, 3:41pm

Post #4 of 21 (326 views)
Shortcut
any time someone uses the word "should" [In reply to] Can't Post

my back hairs go up. Magpie can do what she wants and no one has the right to dictate to her.

RoseCotton
Lorien

Oct 21 2012, 6:49am

Post #5 of 21 (261 views)
Shortcut
Should, should, should! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 21 2012, 1:38pm

Post #6 of 21 (236 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed. Magpie does an awful lot of excellent work for TORn, and it's presumptuous to suggest that she should do anything else.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 21 2012, 1:41pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2012, 1:52pm

Post #7 of 21 (273 views)
Shortcut
for what it's worth... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this poll is the result of some good natured joshing that happened in another poll thread. I took it all in the spirit of good humor and didn't react badly to it.

I do kind of wince every time I see 'his'. I am not the most girly, girl but I am a female... as my profile page reveals. :-) But that happens on the internet and it's not the first time I've been called a dude or guy and I've made the same mistake with others.

As far as 'should'... knowing the humor this poll arose from, I didn't take it badly. But for most 'shoulds', I am can be quite ornery... as anyone who has tried to get me to do something I'm not keen to do will know.

And one shouldn't hold their breath waiting for me to start a poll. I won't be using the results of this one to persuade me. :-)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2012, 4:06pm

Post #8 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
Breath [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And one shouldn't hold their breath waiting...

Really? Now you're using "should[n't]?" I can hold my breath any time I want. LOL.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 21 2012, 7:59pm

Post #9 of 21 (234 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the results of this poll will be terribly scientific!
If I didn't know about the previous thread about polls, I would have wondered what on earth was going on here.
By the way can you explain the term 'ornery' to me? I sometimes read it or hear it, but I don't really understand its exact meaning. I know I could use the wonders of the internet to look it up, but I much prefer humans to explain things like this to me.
That's if you don't mind doing something for me! Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2012, 9:42pm

Post #10 of 21 (289 views)
Shortcut
Ornery [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad-tempered or stubborn, as in a mule.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 22 2012, 1:53am

Post #11 of 21 (256 views)
Shortcut
stubborn; contrary in disposition [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to have an interesting etymology of which I wasn't aware before I looked around:

Contracted or dialectal pronunciation of ordinary. Commonplace, inferior.

I've never heard it used that way.

I don't like to be coerced or manipulated into doing something I'm not on board with.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 8:24am

Post #12 of 21 (175 views)
Shortcut
Ah, interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading the word 'ornery' in a book when I was a child, and I thought it was some sort of American way of saying ordinary, so I was kind of on the right track!
Thanks for the info Magpie.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2012, 8:26am

Post #13 of 21 (211 views)
Shortcut
Oh, [In reply to] Can't Post

then that sounds a bit like me. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 22 2012, 2:19pm

Post #14 of 21 (248 views)
Shortcut
one site defining the word... [In reply to] Can't Post

...differentiated what it meant by location. Growing up for me, it was definitively a folk, colloquial term. Just like one uses a swear word for a particular accent (one hopes, anyhow... that it isn't a constant stream), words like this were used in my household for particular accent. I also find these sorts of words kind of old fashioned. My dad used them (he was a WWII vet to place him in an era) but I don't hear them so much anymore.

Reading it in a book, one would definitely take cues from the material to put a finer definition on what it was intended to mean.

side note: ever notice how, when Tolkien uses an obscure, archaic word, he tends to define it in the surrounding/following text. So, one might think, 'hun... wonder what that means', look it up, and then realized the definition had already been supplied. I love those subtle touches.

sam90
Lorien

Oct 22 2012, 11:40pm

Post #15 of 21 (172 views)
Shortcut
Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

For no particular reason I vote yes, simply because I think eveyone inclined to make a poll should make it if they want to... May it be Magpie or someone else. Though good ideas of polls that will make people come to vote and share their opinions may not be easy to find. But simple ideas can be surprinsingly sucessful for instance my poll on : ''Which Dragon do you prefer?'' (Glaurung or Smaug). So I'll encourage people to do polls, of course that's what the 'pollantýr' is for.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 23 2012, 2:59am

Post #16 of 21 (243 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, me too! (The archaic words, not being ornery! Too often.) [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Tolkien the Teacher is subtly present just when we need him!Smile

Patty
Immortal

Oct 23 2012, 5:42pm

Post #17 of 21 (165 views)
Shortcut
Magpie should.. [In reply to] Can't Post

do as she jolly well pleases.Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 23 2012, 9:44pm

Post #18 of 21 (125 views)
Shortcut
aha, you got me with that one. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 23 2012, 9:51pm

Post #19 of 21 (162 views)
Shortcut
and it's likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

that she will!

Hey, I'm a first born. What can I say?

Preciousssss
The Shire

Oct 24 2012, 4:41am

Post #20 of 21 (120 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Blushdid not realize you are a she not a he!Evil

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 26 2012, 11:09pm

Post #21 of 21 (310 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

also a first-born (well, to my dad . . . my half-brother is a lot older than me so we have two in the family). And I'm a real contrarian. Even when I agree with someone, if they tell me I "should" do something, I'm so tempted to do the opposite!

For instance I almost never eat red meat, but I crave steak after a conversation with a vegan.

I am aware that this tendency could make me really easy to manipulate - just tell me I "should" do the opposite of what you want me to do. Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.