Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite LOTR Character? (looooong list)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Favorite LOTR Character? (looooong list)
Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Boromir
Faramir
Pippin
Merry
Frodo
Sam
Gollum/Smeagol
Denethor
Gandalf
Saruman
Sauron
Mouth of Sauron
Gothmog (Orc commander at Pelennor Fields)
The Witch King
Theoden
Eomer
Eowyn
Arwen
Elrond
Galadriel
Celeborn
The Ring (which is in fact a character)
View Results (212 votes)

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 7 2007, 3:40am

Post #1 of 42 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Favorite LOTR Character? (looooong list) Can't Post

Sorry for the long list, but LOTR has too... many... darned... characters! :) So just wondering what your favorite hero or villain from LOTR is. I understand this is a reaaaly hard choice in some cases so multiple answers are allowed :)

(oh and PS, what do y'all think of my sig?)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2007, 10:05am

Post #2 of 42 (638 views)
Shortcut
I chose Sam... [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how much I look at the other characters, Sam is and has always been my favorite. I like his steadfastness.

barahir
The Shire

Nov 7 2007, 10:53am

Post #3 of 42 (658 views)
Shortcut
Theoden Rocks [In reply to] Can't Post

and dude the vote would have been soo much better if you had used the word coolSly

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 7 2007, 12:40pm

Post #4 of 42 (647 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all about Frodo for me. He's inspiration and consolation. He makes me laugh, he makes me cry, he makes me proud. I will never get over his courage and sacrifice.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 7 2007, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 42 (656 views)
Shortcut
Dernhelm / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 7 2007, 6:22pm

Post #6 of 42 (669 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't help laughing [In reply to] Can't Post

to see that Legolas had no votes so far. Quite a change from the days of the Leggy-lovers, when we would have had a huge argument at this point ;-)

I voted for Aragorn, but as you said, a hard choice. There are so many wonderful characters.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 8 2007, 12:01am

Post #7 of 42 (668 views)
Shortcut
The answer is easy, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir, by a mile.

He's one of my (many) literary crushes, in the "ideal husband" category.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Nov 8 2007, 12:01am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2007, 3:00am

Post #8 of 42 (644 views)
Shortcut
Mine, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course I often say I *am* married to my very own Faramir :-)

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Nov 8 2007, 4:30am

Post #9 of 42 (654 views)
Shortcut
What? no little box for Shadowfax again???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Punishment is having to read this!!! {Anyone remember watching Mr. Ed?}

A horse is a horse
of course, of course
and no one can talk to horse, of course.
That is, of course,
unless the horse
is the famous Shadowfax.

Go right to the source
and ask the horse,
he'll give you the answer that you'll endorse;
He's always on a steady course.
Talk to Shadowfax!

People yakkity yak a streak
and waste your time o' day.
But Shadowfax will never speak
unless he has something to say!

A horse is a horse,
of course, of course
and this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking horse
Well listen to this,
I am Shadowfax!

(This post was edited by Shadowfaxfan on Nov 8 2007, 4:33am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 8 2007, 4:42am

Post #10 of 42 (667 views)
Shortcut
Is Gothmog an orc? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's the fox?

And did Gandalf call himself "Gandalf", when he stepped off the boat?

I voted for Frodo.

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 8 2007, 3:24pm

Post #11 of 42 (619 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

know the Balrog lord in the Silmarillion was also called Gothmog. However, the orc at Pelennor Fields was also called Gothmog.

As for Gandalf's name, let me see... Mithrandir was just his elvish name... and he wasn't about to introduc himself as Oromis, the maiar spirit... but Gandalf seemed to be pretty much universal in Middle-Earth.

Owlyross
Rohan

Nov 8 2007, 3:41pm

Post #12 of 42 (623 views)
Shortcut
In the movie yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book there's nothing which says whether Gothmog is an orc or not. Just that he is one of Sauron's lieutenants. Some have speculated that he is actually one of the Nazgul.

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 8 2007, 3:45pm

Post #13 of 42 (623 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's who I thought he was... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was a Nazgul when I read the book... I mean he's called "the lieutenant of Morgul"... but I think the orc worked very well, much more warlike, much more commander-like... I mean we already had the Witch King, and that's enough Nazgul for the movie :)

LOTR4ever13
The Shire

Nov 8 2007, 4:23pm

Post #14 of 42 (598 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas and Aragorn are my favorites.

But Leggy more than Aragorn, hes the character no one listens to,which is just like me. If his word had been heeded Gandalf and Boromir may not have died.

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 9 2007, 12:03am

Post #15 of 42 (625 views)
Shortcut
Faramir's winning :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought for sure it would've been Aragorn or Legolas... or maybe Sauron, surprised no one's voted for him yet.

Dagonet
Lorien

Nov 9 2007, 12:14am

Post #16 of 42 (584 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to say Smeagol is my fav. character, and I love your signature NoseOfSauron.Wink

Patty
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 12:37am

Post #17 of 42 (617 views)
Shortcut
With the number of women of a umm "certain age" on this board... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not the least surprised he's winning.

Penthe
Gondor

Nov 9 2007, 1:08am

Post #18 of 42 (631 views)
Shortcut
An Ideal Husband [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Faramir is definitely one of my favourites.

I also chose Theoden, possibly because he's an ideal father, of his children and his country (at least when not tormented by nasty lying fiends who steal his sword).

And I chose Eowyn, not least because she's one of the ones who lets Faramir and Theoden show their quality. Or perhaps she's my ideal me.

Penthe
Gondor

Nov 9 2007, 1:10am

Post #19 of 42 (613 views)
Shortcut
I was just as in love with Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

at 15 as I am now. So there.

He gave me hope, even while in real life I kept dating cave trolls. Harrumph.

artaheri_elv
The Shire

Nov 9 2007, 2:44pm

Post #20 of 42 (589 views)
Shortcut
I'll give my vote for Merry [In reply to] Can't Post

as no-one has voted for him yet and also because I really like him.

and after all this talk about "an ideal husband"... well, I wouldn't say Merry's my ideal husband, but he's certainly someone I'd love dating Smile

Patty
Immortal

Nov 9 2007, 6:22pm

Post #21 of 42 (565 views)
Shortcut
(smiles) yeah, you've got a point there! [In reply to] Can't Post

he does kind of embody what women of all ages would want.

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 9 2007, 11:24pm

Post #22 of 42 (583 views)
Shortcut
A certain age? [In reply to] Can't Post

In my case, the "certain age" of being a Faramir fan started when I was about 12 and is still going strong 30 years later! Laugh

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2007, 2:11am

Post #23 of 42 (569 views)
Shortcut
Impossible to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too wishy washy to pick just one...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 10 2007, 5:54am

Post #24 of 42 (661 views)
Shortcut
"Gandalf" means "staff-elf". [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking from atop his great tower, he could see across the sea to the land of Middle-earth. The sundering sea could not sunder his vision. From afar, he spoke with the mortals of the distant land. From across the sea, he stirred the fire of battle and kindled the candle of hope in the hearts of all who fought the shadow. From atop his great tower in Valinor, Manwë spoke the words to Círdan...
"My name... is Gandalf the Grey."

Of course, as was also true for Tolkien, you present a story in translation. If Olórin said anything to Cirdan on disembarking, it would probably have been in Sindarin. But I agree with you that he is unlikely to have acquired the Sindarin name, "Mithrandír" = "Grey Pilgrim", in Valinor. So "Gandalf" could work perfectly well, as a translation of however Gandalf may be supposed to have identified himself. Except that names are so important to Tolkien, and in Tolkien's conceit for The Lord of the Rings, "Gandalf" is actually Tolkien's translation for modern English readers of the name by which the wizard was known to northern Men. It's Old Norse, and means "staff elf", and it appears in the Eddaic poem, "Völuspá", in a section called the "Dvergatál", which is a list of dwarf names. Other familiar dwarf names appear there, including "Durin" and "Thorin", not to mention the Old Norse version of Thorin's nickname, "Oakenshield". But why is "staff elf" found there? No one knows, but Tolkien apparently decided to have fun with the question when he wrote The Hobbit: to men, Gandalf is long-lived, possibly immortal like an elf, and he carries a staff. And he appears in The Hobbit in the company of dwarves. (These are Tom Shippey's ideas, from The Road to Middle-earth.)

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Nov 11 2007, 1:33am

Post #25 of 42 (608 views)
Shortcut
Outta my depth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Looking from atop his great tower, he could see across the sea to the land of Middle-earth. The sundering sea could not sunder his vision. From afar, he spoke with the mortals of the distant land. From across the sea, he stirred the fire of battle and kindled the candle of hope in the hearts of all who fought the shadow. From atop his great tower in Valinor, Manwë spoke the words to Círdan...
"My name... is Gandalf the Grey."

Of course, as was also true for Tolkien, you present a story in translation. If Olórin said anything to Cirdan on disembarking, it would probably have been in Sindarin. But I agree with you that he is unlikely to have acquired the Sindarin name, "Mithrandír" = "Grey Pilgrim", in Valinor. So "Gandalf" could work perfectly well, as a translation of however Gandalf may be supposed to have identified himself. Except that names are so important to Tolkien, and in Tolkien's conceit for The Lord of the Rings, "Gandalf" is actually Tolkien's translation for modern English readers of the name by which the wizard was known to northern Men. It's Old Norse, and means "staff elf", and it appears in the Eddaic poem, "Völuspá", in a section called the "Dvergatál", which is a list of dwarf names. Other familiar dwarf names appear there, including "Durin" and "Thorin", not to mention the Old Norse version of Thorin's nickname, "Oakenshield". But why is "staff elf" found there? No one knows, but Tolkien apparently decided to have fun with the question when he wrote The Hobbit: to men, Gandalf is long-lived, possibly immortal like an elf, and he carries a staff. And he appears in The Hobbit in the company of dwarves. (These are Tom Shippey's ideas, from The Road to Middle-earth.)

LOL, you're waaaaaay out of my depth. I was just intrigued bu the possibility that Gandalf was the last physical manifestation of Manwe on Middle-Earth before retreating to his tower until the end of days when Morgoth returns.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.