Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**A Thief in the Night** I - an introduction

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Oct 21 2012, 10:16pm

Views: 386
Shortcut
**A Thief in the Night** I - an introduction Can't Post

This is a really short chapter (6 pages in my edition, the 1987 Allen & Unwin), but I like how it's really short and punchy. It's one of my favourite chapters, I think because of the way that Bilbo really shines. He's shone before, perhaps most memorably in Barrels out of Bond but in this chapter he seems to take the fate of more people than himself and small group of cranky dwarves into his hands and tries valiantly to work for good.

This week I will be breaking the discussion into small, one a day chunks. Monday (Today) is about the broader themes of the chapter (and its place in the book), then we will talk about the three 'acts' of the chapter, with Bilbo formulating his plan, the execution of that plan, and his return. Finally I'll open a thread so that we can discuss anything else that you want to raise in the chapter. I'll try and post mornings, Australian Eastern Time.

As mentioned, this is a short chapter.
When reading this chapter, because of its (lack of) length, do you find that you want to continue on to the next chapter straight away?

A Thief in the Night interrupts a cloud themed title sequence: coming between The Gathering of the Clouds and The Clouds Burst. The dwarves have discovered that Smaug is dead, but that a whole host of folk are coming for the treasure, and so they fortify the gate. After this chapter, war brews with the gathered host of men and elves.

What 'feel' does this break give to the story?

Now the days passed slowly and wearily. Many of the dwarves spent their time piling and ordering the treasure; and now Thorin spoke of the Arkenstone of Thrain, and bade them eagerly to look for it in every corner.

Wait, days?

without reading carefully, how long did you think this action took?

What kind of piles and order for the treasure?

I'm struck by how not-suspicious Thorin is here. I was skimming the chapters before and found in
Not at Home:

Bilbo was climbing the great mound of treasure. Soon he stood upon the top, and still went on. Then they saw him halt and stoop for a moment; but they did not know the reason.
It was the Arkenstone, the heart of the Mountain.

Surely Thorin would begin to put two and two together?

Back in A Thief in the Night

'For the Arkenstone of my father.' he said, 'is worth more than a river of gold in itself, and to me it is beyond price. That stone of all the treasure I name unto myself, and I will be avenged on anyone who finds it and withholds it.'

In Thorin's shoes, would you begin to suspect your fuzzy footed burglar?

One of the theories floated around this board is that the bare patch on Smaug's marvelous waistcoat is Arkenstone-shaped.

Do you think that Thorin might begin to worry that the stone has gone down with the dragon? (remembering that they do know the story of Smaug's demise, via the Thrush)

Is the Arkenstone The One Ring of The Hobbit ? (of course the one ring is in The Hobbit, but not to the same effect as in LOTR.)

How is the Arkenstone important to Thorin? Is it the monetary value?

How is the Arkenstone important to Tolkien, and to the novel?

The focus has shifted from the dragon-bed of treasure, concentrated now onto one stone.
Do you think this is a useful plot device, or would you do it differently?

Is the Arkenstone a macguffin?

Enough from me, over to you.

Tomorrow: Bilbo's plan.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

(This post was edited by titanium_hobbit on Oct 21 2012, 10:17pm)

Subject User Time
**A Thief in the Night** I - an introduction titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Oct 21 2012, 10:16pm
    Answers sador Send a private message to sador Oct 22 2012, 10:38am
        religious aspect titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Oct 23 2012, 1:30pm
        "i'm lovin' this!" dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Oct 29 2012, 12:29am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.