Looking forward to Beorn and Dain Ironfoot
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Oct 17 2012, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 27 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to Beorn and Dain Ironfoot Can't Post

These two characters I believe will be my favorites for some reason! In the book Beorn was my favorite for sure! I interested in seeing Mr.Jackson's depiction of Beorn as well as Dain Ironfoot who I think will be a major tail kicker as well. Will the boar steed be true, if so ...sweet? Anybody else wanting to see these two or either one?

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2012, 10:05pm

Post #2 of 27 (565 views)
Shortcut
I am looking forward for both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikael and Billy will do both characters pretty well I think :D

Mikael as a Scandinavian (a Swede to be precise) is a great choice to play Beorn, and hopefully he will have some accent in his english!

Billy is a really funny guy in everything I've seen him do so far! He will be a kick ass dwarf!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Oct 17 2012, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 27 (551 views)
Shortcut
Exactly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those two guys are the reason as well as the characters being my favorites in this particular story have me more than excited. This is a movie I have been waiting since childhood for .....over 30 years ago when I was only 10 or 11 years of age.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:20am

Post #4 of 27 (463 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikael, in particular, was inspired casting.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 18 2012, 4:44am

Post #5 of 27 (462 views)
Shortcut
More interested in seeing Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

He's basically the Bombadil of The Hobbit! Both should be great, though (unless Dain has a mohawk...just be telling the truth about the wild pig and not the mohawk, Billy Connolly...please Angelic).

Too bad we have to wait for "The Desolation of Smaug" (DoS) to see Beorn and "There and Back Again" (TaBA) for Dain.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 4:47am

Post #6 of 27 (463 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

But also dislike the idea of a dwarf with a Mokawk. Just screams World of Warcraft/cheap fantasy, for some reason.

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 5:22am

Post #7 of 27 (460 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the wild pig that has the Mohawk.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 18 2012, 6:18am

Post #8 of 27 (428 views)
Shortcut
Yep, Beorn it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very much looking forward to see Beorn. Firstly, becaus Mikael Persbrandt is a fantastic actor, who'll deliver a brilliant performance, and secondly because Beorn is a fascinating and multi-layered character in the books. It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see him come alive!

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 7:15am

Post #9 of 27 (427 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait to see Bear Beorn in all his glory at the BO5A [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope he isn't a polar bear. Unsure

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Padfoot
Bree

Oct 18 2012, 7:39am

Post #10 of 27 (412 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkDon't think so. More Grizzly-like, I assume. Wink

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 18 2012, 9:51am

Post #11 of 27 (398 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. Tolkien had a soft spot for the Pole Bear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pete might just have read The Father Christmas Letters.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 10:09am

Post #12 of 27 (384 views)
Shortcut
And Beorn has been spotted with a blond wig! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 18 2012, 10:32am

Post #13 of 27 (390 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you on Dain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Was looking very much forward to seeing him, as he's one of my favorite characters. Still looking forward to seeing him, of course, but am a little more vary about it now. What little I've heard, does bring to mind the over-the-top manner in which dwarves are generally portrayed in other fantasy settings (Warhammer in particular), something which I was hoping PJ and team would steer clear of (which, to their credit, they mostly have so far) in favor of the Tolkien-esque portrayal.

Admittedly, the supposed boar-steed, while I'm not a fan of it, has some precedent in mythology (as others have noted), and there's many ways to do a mohawk, not all which are so extreme (LOTRO, the MMO, had dwarves with fairly reasonable mohawks). I do not doubt that they can make it believeable, but I also think there is a very real risk of them over-doing it, to set Dain apart from other dwarves.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 18 2012, 10:33am)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 18 2012, 8:52pm

Post #14 of 27 (327 views)
Shortcut
These two are definitely going to be interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Know nothing about Persbrandt, but based on his appearance alone he certainly looks right for the role. I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle his shape-shifting, as well as his persona and physical appearance (based on his house he should be similar how he is in the book, though I'm not sure I can see PJ adding another character with a long beard, given that he already has lots of these, and avoided giving Denethor a beard in LOTR for this reason).

Dain should be good (Connolly is a surprisingly good at serious acting as well as comedy), and he should bring a nice kingly presence to the role.

Also Stephen Fry's master should be pretty great too. But there are too many great never before-seen characters in these films. Thranduil should be great, as should Radagast, Bard, and, of course, Smaug.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 19 2012, 5:22pm

Post #15 of 27 (288 views)
Shortcut
The boar-steed [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like it will be interesting. I've always thought that the Dwarves need some sort of SOMETHING to ride into battle, since horses are too big.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Oct 19 2012, 6:01pm

Post #16 of 27 (257 views)
Shortcut
Think it will be cool as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain the Lord of the Iron Hills riding on his Boar-steed to the battle field would be cool to me as well. I wonder will he be the only one or will there be a cavalry of boar riders? Personally I would rather there be only him with his troops on foot arriving prior to him and when he arrives joins Gandalf and the other leaders to dicuss the orcish assualt that is heading their way!

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 19 2012, 6:06pm

Post #17 of 27 (253 views)
Shortcut
Do they? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves primarily dwell under the mountains, where mounts wouldn't be of much use, in addition to being hard to train. Plus, they fight just as many battles under earth as they do above it (where once again, mounts would be of little use); As I recall, many of the battles in the War of Dwarves and Orcs took place inside the Misty Mountains, not on open ground. Dwarves just don't strike me as the race that would need war-steeds to the extent that they'd actively train them, as their usage would be severely limited.

If anything, I'd say that the sheer determination and endurance the dwarves showed in marching all the way from the Iron Hills, on such short notage, added a lot to their image. "Ok, Thorin needs us at Erebor, let's get going. War-steeds? Dwarves have no war-steeds. Dwarves need no war-steeds".

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 19 2012, 6:10pm)

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Oct 19 2012, 6:09pm

Post #18 of 27 (256 views)
Shortcut
Beorn and Persbrandt [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikael Persbrandt .....is he an imposing guy physically? Looking at pictures of him and seeing him in past acting ...he just does not seem that HUGE of a guy. Not typically muscular is what I'm getting at. I guess they will use tricks of the camera like they do to make characters small or larger as well as maybe prosthetics. They''ll make him bigger than he is cause I believe he's around 6'2-3 and he would need to tower over Ian (Gandalf) to make him truly monstrous. I'm sure Mikael will do him justice though character wise.

(This post was edited by YaznegSouth40 on Oct 19 2012, 6:11pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2012, 7:19pm

Post #19 of 27 (247 views)
Shortcut
Beorn is 3 meters tall [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Persbrandt in an interview.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 19 2012, 7:51pm

Post #20 of 27 (237 views)
Shortcut
That's a good thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Dark Age "berserkers" were not the WWF steroid-pumped muscle men we see today. Beorn should look nothing like that.

Persbrandt is a pretty thick and muscular guy, but not exaggeratedly so. And he's a great actor, with a perfect Norse look.

PJ made the right choice here. Inspired casting choice, to say the least.

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 20 2012, 12:01am

Post #21 of 27 (237 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Physical presence aside (I think he's physically imposing as it is, and he will be even more so with the increased scale of Beorn), I find him to be an actor with a lot of presence, thanks to his voice, his manners, his facial expressions. He can be a really frightening guy, not only as a "big, violent, muscular man", but also as the kind of guy that manages to be comforting and welcoming, yet still deeply unsettling and frightening, at the same time; He's just as capable of beating you up as he is of calmly talking you into submission.

I was surprised when I learned that he got the role, but the more thought I gave it, I realized that he might actually be a perfect fit for Beorn; I think the surprise was mostly about him landing such a huge role. As you say, a very inspired casting choice.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 20 2012, 12:10am)

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 20 2012, 1:45am

Post #22 of 27 (228 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

is supposed to be huge. It says in the book that he towers over Gandalf and that Bilbo could walk right between his legs without brushing the fringe of his tunic.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 20 2012, 2:40am

Post #23 of 27 (238 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Visual trickery will accomplish that.

After all, Thorin is supposed to be short, and Armitage is very tall...

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Oct 21 2012, 2:54am

Post #24 of 27 (213 views)
Shortcut
I was just [In reply to] Can't Post

replying to people saying they were going to make him shorter. So sue me.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 21 2012, 3:56am

Post #25 of 27 (219 views)
Shortcut
Understood [In reply to] Can't Post

Though noone was saying they were going to make him shorter...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.