Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
New TORn homepage!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 7:45pm

Post #1 of 31 (602 views)
Shortcut
New TORn homepage! Can't Post

I love it. Very stylish and sleek! Well done to all involved. Smile

I notice it's been rolled out across the majority of webpages, except here in the forum. Is that the last to be done?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 31 (347 views)
Shortcut
New design: should be improved ASAP [In reply to] Can't Post

Now what the hell happened to TORN?

I think a site of such a magnificent size and history should commit to its values. The new design breaks with the legacy of the website, as it was, rather entirely. Changes should not happen this radical.

- The new format of presenting the news is not comfortable to read, as you only see one article and get to click for each of the others
- The navigation, at least on my machine, is basically out of the main page, you have to scroll down to find it
- Using embedded fonts in the navigation (like my Aniron as is done here) is rather ugly: they are pixelated like crap
- Same is using Garamond for navigation titles: pixelated.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2012, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 31 (331 views)
Shortcut
I was going to ask about this, but thought perhaps I'd pressed something on my browser! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are websites that allow you to view them with different "skins". So it's not just me, then? Wink

I liked the Old TorN...but then again, this latest version replaced the last in...2007(?) So guess I'll get used to it. I didn't think I'd grow to like the New Gmail, either. Tongue

Is this new suit due to the new fans/visitors/board members sure to arrive with the release of Film 1? Sort-of, a "new TorN for a new trilogy" type thing?

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Misto
Lorien

Oct 17 2012, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 31 (311 views)
Shortcut
I may need some time to decide what to think [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's... unusual *blink*. Right now that's all I can say. I'm a little slow with adapting to new interfaces. So I'll just leave my final verdict for a month or so.

By the way: is it just me or is Barliman's closed? I can't find a place to log inCrazy

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 17 2012, 8:41pm

Post #5 of 31 (314 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure this is how I'll be. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not liking it very much right now. But I'm sure I'll grow into it in no time at all.

However, I don't particularly like how only the names of the articles are available. I always liked the little snippet to read because it helped me decide whether or not to read it.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 8:42pm

Post #6 of 31 (300 views)
Shortcut
It's not the final design, and I'm sure they'll iron out anything that isn't right [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 17 2012, 8:45pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 17 2012, 8:51pm

Post #7 of 31 (277 views)
Shortcut
I surely hope so// [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 17 2012, 9:03pm

Post #8 of 31 (315 views)
Shortcut
I blinked when I jumped to the home page [In reply to] Can't Post

and wondered where TORN was!

I like it: Shiny and new. But then it isn't completed yet - I'm looking forward to seeing it's final form.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 11:00pm

Post #9 of 31 (288 views)
Shortcut
First reaction: lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the colors and the subtle imagery.

My second reaction was...oh, oh, do I have to learn a new way to search old articles. But initial investigation seems to reveal that, behind the skin, how articles are listed are the same.

I'm going to drop one request/suggestion here. I thought about mentioning this to Calisuri but held off till I saw how this was all going to look.

I'm not finding the gramma's TIME google calendar to be a workable interface for me. I can't read the entries on the Home Page. I can click on an entry and get taken to that particular event. But I can't scan and read all the entries from that page and I can't find a way to look through the calendar over the course of a week or even year. I wanted to find the date that Bilbo left Bag End on his adventure with the Dwarves and thought... aha, there's that handy calendar on the Home page. But I couldn't get into the calendar such that I could find the entry.

gramma did a tremendous amount of work on that calendar and I'm just not sure anyone is finding it usable. Unless I'm just being really dense.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 11:10pm

Post #10 of 31 (286 views)
Shortcut
a work around to having only the titles of recent posts visible [In reply to] Can't Post

I do a lot of searching through old news articles. Lots of times, I'm just going week by week looking for information.

If you click on any article, you'll get a url that looks something like this:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/17/63361-giant-dwarves-in-manhattan/

(forgive me if this is obvious to you, I tend to skew all instructions towards the most easily confused in the room)

The numbers you see show the year - month - date - and then a number and text specific to each article.

If you change the year, month, or date, you can see all posts within that range. For example:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/17/ ....would show you all the posts made on Oct 17, 2012

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/ ....would show you all the posts made in October, 2012

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/ ...would show you all the posts made in 2012

Now, I use this to look at all the posts made in October 2001 by manipulating the numbers to read:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2001/10/

If you visit the link that shows all the posts for that month : http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/

You'll see that all the articles are shown the 'old way' - headlines plus a little text. You could bookmark that page and then change it out at the first of each month.

I wouldn't bookmark any link that tried to load a whole year's worth of posts into your reading queue. So I don't suggest you do this for simply: 2012/

And, of course, by doing this, you are bypassing the Home page and any other things that might show up there but not on this other interface.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 11:12pm

Post #11 of 31 (283 views)
Shortcut
I have grumbled at every change Google has made [In reply to] Can't Post

but I also got used to them. lol.

I don't like it when stores change their layout, either. It's very disconcerting.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 11:34pm

Post #12 of 31 (265 views)
Shortcut
could be my internet connection [In reply to] Can't Post

or the fact that its still being worked on, but the site is loading kinda slow.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2012, 11:35pm

Post #13 of 31 (310 views)
Shortcut
Mathom House [In reply to] Can't Post

Is "Library" supposed to be a Mathom House link to the wiki? It's broken at the moment, but it would be nice to see the archival effort the wiki represents put in a prominent place that motivates people to use and contribute to it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 1:13am

Post #14 of 31 (262 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, much better [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Magpie!

I do wish this was the default, though. Seems unnecessary to me. Oh well.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 18 2012, 1:30am

Post #15 of 31 (325 views)
Shortcut
Please be patient! [In reply to] Can't Post

The transition to the new Home Page will take several days. It won't be unusual for some links not to work at first, for fonts to be wonky, etc, etc., but rest assured it *is* being worked on feverishly.

In the mean time, Calisuri is aware of this thread, and you can also leave comments directly under the 'under construction' posts here. But, I recommend holding off on comments about mechanical things like links not working until well into the weekend, if not Monday.

These changes are meant to bring the TORn Home Page up to date compared to similar news reporting websites, to better organize similar stories of interest so they're easier to locate, and better highlight important stories of interest. No doubt it *will* take some getting used to. But, give it some thought, let it settle in a bit, and then please *do* offer constructive observations and thoughts either here, or in the comments section under the article.

Thanks for your patience!! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2012, 1:35am

Post #16 of 31 (265 views)
Shortcut
Partly... [In reply to] Can't Post

but apparently the renovations go a little deeper than just changing appearances, including setting up for the Line Parties. From yesterday's article on the Home page:

There will be some changes around TORn, any minute now, or at least in just a few hours after this post. Part of the purpose is to make things as great as possible, to get the site ready for The Hobbit onslaught but also to accommodate local gatherings around the world.

This is a much better reason for a redesign than the last one, which was caused by hardware failure and a desperate recovery effort. Fixing it before it's broke is a lot better for the nerves. Smile

Silverlode

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2012, 3:43am

Post #17 of 31 (285 views)
Shortcut
Comments [In reply to] Can't Post

Posted on the comment page, but to repeat here:

Greetings,

it would be nice to see a link to the archival effort the Mathom House wiki represents put in a prominent place that motivates people to use and contribute to it to preserve your history.

Also, another well known website, TheDigitalBits.com, devoted to fan-style news like you, recently upgraded their own website. Please take a serious look at the high-quality job they did that looks a lot like what you are trying to achieve. It actually looks quite similar and TheDigitalBits.com is very attractive the way it integrates everything on the page within the margins - like a real paper.

I feel the way this page currently breaks things out beyond both the left and right edges of the page does not look as good. You have a nice white piece of paper with things hanging off the sides. I recommend widening your white sheet, keep the left side exclusively for article text (no link menu, no graphic links) with accompanying pictures and put all the special graphics, links and menu on the right. That lets us read the news you want to report without distraction in a more attractive format.

Again, take a look at how http://www.digitalbits.com/ does it where everything is integrated like a newspaper and see what you find agreeable to your needs.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 18 2012, 3:50am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2012, 6:59am

Post #18 of 31 (248 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the hard work :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to the finished (or near-finished) product Wink

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2012, 10:43am

Post #19 of 31 (248 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely love the new look [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is a vast improvement over the look of the old home page, and I look forward to the finished product!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 18 2012, 2:14pm

Post #20 of 31 (334 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a surprise, but a pleasant one. I like the style and the layout. Nice work :).

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 18 2012, 11:45pm

Post #21 of 31 (244 views)
Shortcut
A nice addition for those of you who liked the old news format [In reply to] Can't Post

In the black banner at the top of the new page now has a link to "Blog News." This takes you to a format that's more like the old format, where you can see the whole story of recent posts beneath the headline. The best of both worlds! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 18 2012, 11:46pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 19 2012, 12:56am

Post #22 of 31 (220 views)
Shortcut
Coming together nicely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't do Home very often, but when I do it's with leather.

... I do like it though. especially the cast section. Also, very classy of you to keep Rob Kazinsky up there... poor guy.

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 19 2012, 2:19am

Post #23 of 31 (212 views)
Shortcut
reminds me of when the new boards came along... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would like to bid a fond farewell to the way the place used to look! I'll always have a lot of fond memories of it.

That said, agree a new look make sense, and like the new boards, I know you guys know what you are doing and that it will be great once we're used to it!

Thanks for the new look!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2012, 2:55am

Post #24 of 31 (241 views)
Shortcut
If you'd like to 'visit' the old look.... [In reply to] Can't Post

you can always head here

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2012, 8:10am

Post #25 of 31 (265 views)
Shortcut
Layout Suggestions - Illustrated [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a believer in putting your money where your mouth is. I've said the new website design is great but lacks integration. I have produced this layout proposal to illustrate what I mean. I have signed my work, but I put this design in the public domain and offer it for your use.

Please excuse my font and color where it is different. I did this as quickly as possible and did not stop for fonts or color corrections.

One thing I should note is that I do not understand why there are two blog/article summary sections on the front page - one without tabs and one with tabs (The Hobbit, LOTR, Gaming, Library). It seems to me these two blocks can be combined to save on function, duplication, wasted space and the effort to find information. It's easier for the user to know there's just one place they have to look for the info they want. I did not add a tab in this illustration, but if there is actually a difference, a tab should be added instead of the whole block replicated.

Full size and resolution download:

http://jwplatt.com/...LayoutSuggestion.jpg

Improvements with this layout:

- It looks like it follows real physical rules - items do not float or defy a sense of gravity.
- More article summaries appear on the front page.
- All options and information integrated onto the menu and the white space.
- The menu and other content has not changed from the new design - it's all there - and more.
- The most recent article has not lost its position of importance.
- Advertising is assumed a priority, perhaps contractual, and has not lost is position of importance.
- Advertising is all the same size as it was.
- Page width has actually been reduced by integrating margin info into a wider white space.
- User input for search and newsletter are on same side of page - less mouse, eye and hand movement.
- No confusing choice between where to enter newsletter info - one place where it is expected instead of two.
- All marginal information presented on one side to save eye, hand and mouse movement and reduce fatigue.
- All articles begin their text on the left edge of the whites pace just like people are accustomed to on real paper.
- Tabbed article categories make all articles available - no duplication of upper and lower article sections that waste space.
- Mouse distance between all options is reduced.

I'll put this in the comment section as well.

Thanks for taking the time to look and consider.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.