Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A new clean up on Main request

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 17 2012, 4:06am

Post #1 of 6 (140 views)
Shortcut
A new clean up on Main request Can't Post

Hi Guys, could one of you remove the gunk on my latest NfB post on main?
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=512303#512303

Thank you
Kel x

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17 2012, 6:11am

Post #2 of 6 (67 views)
Shortcut
Done. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 17 2012, 6:41am

Post #3 of 6 (79 views)
Shortcut
Thank ya Silver :) [In reply to] Can't Post

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2012, 7:29am

Post #4 of 6 (85 views)
Shortcut
Unicode / UTF-8 [In reply to] Can't Post

I see this happening fairly frequently. So I'm wondering if you have control over it. I don't know what mechanism you use to copy stories over to the forums from the front page. Could you, for example, use an intermediate text editor that strips the special characters, replacing them with the UTF-8 encoding the forums want?

I did this with one of my posts using Notepad, but there was some manual work via search/replace for mostly unicode single and double quotes with their UTF-8 counterparts. Had I thought about it, I could probably have pasted the unicode text into Notepad and then saved it as UTF-8, which is available in Notepad. It's worth a try and would save some effort. I'll try it myself when I can and let you know unless you want to give it a try yourself first.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 17 2012, 7:30am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2012, 7:43am

Post #5 of 6 (83 views)
Shortcut
Weird [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's weird. I just tried to cut and paste your same article from the front page into a test post here and it looks fine in the post preview. Maybe if you explain your process of getting your articles from the front page to the forum, I can help solve the problem that occurs?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 17 2012, 9:06am

Post #6 of 6 (106 views)
Shortcut
It's actually something [In reply to] Can't Post

to do with WordPress. We can automatically have the stories post here at the same time as we post them to the frontpage, it's a fairly simple click box setup. For some reason the transfer causes the problem.

I used to think it was caused when I typed up my stories in Word and then copied them into WordPress, but it's actually worse when they're typed directly into WordPress. And it actually happens with all the NfB posts that are made, I just tend to ask for the Admins to tidy up the ones I do, I'm a wee bit fussy about how they look Blush

For now, all we can do is ask for our overworked Admins to clean it all up. If we could edit the newsfrombree posts ourselves, like we can for the first 10 minutes when we post under our own nicks it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the offer though :)

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.