Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lord of the Rings Ranks #6 on the 25 Most Devoted Fan Bases

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 15 2012, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 22 (404 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Ranks #6 on the 25 Most Devoted Fan Bases Can't Post

Pop culture site Vulture has named Lord of the Rings #6 on their list of the 25 Most Devoted Fan Bases, outranking other fandom favorites like Star Trek (#14), Joss Whedon (#12), and Doctor Who (#9), but getting squeezed out of the top 5 by Justin Bieber!   TheOneRing.net also gets a shoutout by being listed as "the main fan site" hangout for Ringers/ Tolkienites.

You can check out the rest of the list on Vulture.com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 12:31am

Post #2 of 22 (170 views)
Shortcut
Someone cooked the books!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone KNOWS The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien is #1. Numero uno. The chosen one!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 16 2012, 1:16am

Post #3 of 22 (138 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2012, 2:20am

Post #4 of 22 (147 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering Star Trek's long, long history with fans, starting with Bjo Trimble's successful effort to get a third season of The Original Series, convention-friendly stars, plus all the movies, new series, fan and professional fiction, and multiple fan-produced professional-grade video series that recreate all the familiar sets done at no profit to themselves, sometimes with the participation of the series' stars and staff, I'd say their rating is about 14 spots too low.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 2:27am

Post #5 of 22 (145 views)
Shortcut
I was a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

surprised at the number choice. I like it, I know it has a great following but I would have thought some of the other 'big' fan bases' would surely be ranked higher than this particular one. Gotta say 'wow' I guess?

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 2:52am

Post #6 of 22 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yet the top 5, save Star Wars which is perennial, [In reply to] Can't Post

are all more recent phenomena than LOTR. GoT at number 1 is at once surprising and a sad statement.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 2:58am

Post #7 of 22 (123 views)
Shortcut
Bowie fans should have made the list. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 7:08am

Post #8 of 22 (140 views)
Shortcut
Justin Bieber? [In reply to] Can't Post

What age range did they ask? 11 year olds?! Unsure

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 9:09am

Post #9 of 22 (146 views)
Shortcut
I think a "devoted" fanbase [In reply to] Can't Post

should maybe be about long-term devotion... like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Tolkien can boast ;)

Not: "Oh yeah. I was SO devoted last year."

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 12:24pm

Post #10 of 22 (125 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"That being said, though the Old Guard prefers new fans read the books, deferential new fans are given respect within the community and play LOTR-themed role-playing games along with the Purists. The movies also led to a surge in LOTR vacationing from new and old fans alike. Since the first film's release, millions of fans have made the very expensive flight to New Zealand just to see where the films were shot. "

None of this applies to me - I've never role-played in my life; and I've no intention of spending what little dosh I have in going to NZ to see where the movies were made.

maybe I'm not a real fan... I'm certainly not a Tolkiendil - whatever that may mean!

Tongue

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2012, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 22 (101 views)
Shortcut
It's The Money [In reply to] Can't Post

To find the intended focus (read: slant) of a poll, follow the money. In this case, probably an adolescent demographic.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 22 (95 views)
Shortcut
You're a NARF, like me :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 5:40pm

Post #13 of 22 (112 views)
Shortcut
A few observations [In reply to] Can't Post

The list rates fandoms more so than the objects of said fandoms.

The results seem to be based on use of social media, with points awarded for vociferousness where numbers are small -- which accounts for the inclusion of the TV show Community. Therefore results would be skewed in favour of more recent phenomena (short attention-span for the win) and/or fandoms that are more likely to use social media (generally speaking, a younger demographic).

If this is a clear picture of the criteria for inclusion on the list, my sense is then that LOTR fandom is comprised mostly of outliers... when Middle-earth is thrust back into the spotlight over the next couple years, odds are LOTR fandom will rise to the top of the list. (not that it matters)

Worth mentioning too is the degree of cross pollination among the various fandoms. Around here for instance, many of us can be counted as fans of 2 or more of the top five -- admit it JW, you have the fever -- and at least a handful from the entire list of 25.

What this says to me (hardly earth shattering) is some people are more likely than others to exhibit fan-like behaviour in response to cultural texts/artefacts. But this in no-way accounts for the actual number of people interested in a given text -- a proper count would involve such considerations as availability of free time, language and cultural factors, and access to Internet/social media I should think.

Having said all this, Star Wars seems appropriately placed. But given the number of years it's been around, and as Geordie observes, the many access points into the world he created, Tolkien admirers likely out-number most other fandoms.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 16 2012, 5:48pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2012, 5:54pm

Post #14 of 22 (93 views)
Shortcut
Admission [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Around here for instance, many of us can be counted as fans of 2 or more of the top five -- admit it JW, you have the fever -- and at least a handful from the entire list of 25.

I'll rank the following franchises, without judgement of their merits or failings, in terms of my personal interests, involvement and collection with weight given over the span of the franchise and not just recently:

Star Trek
Star Wars
Middle Earth

I have the books, the movies and I like them, but I do not follow more than anything else on the survey:
Harry Potter

The rest of those 25 I either never heard, never follow or do not collect their work.

Not on the top 25, but deep involvement:
Myst

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 16 2012, 5:55pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 12:47am

Post #15 of 22 (90 views)
Shortcut
You had me at "short attention-span" [In reply to] Can't Post

THAT I understand and embrace!

What you say makes sens... and I also admit to multi-tasking in the world of fandom. Like JW... I don't know a lot of those things on the list. I am a fan of Potter, "original" Star Wars and Star Trek. Middle-earth is the one I live in :)

sample

Unused Scenes

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17 2012, 3:16am

Post #16 of 22 (74 views)
Shortcut
Yes, these kinds of lists [In reply to] Can't Post

usually take a short, more immediate view of the subject. If you were going to talk about the most enduring fandoms, you'd be remiss to leave out Sherlock Holmes, which has had a dedicated fanbase since the stories were first published in The Strand, has had multiple popular adaptations and still continues in many forms today. But I think the writer of that article would only have included fans of the BBC Sherlock, which obviously doesn't have a sufficient social media presence to make the list under the criteria he is using.

I think some of those that made the list are just fads which are big now but in a year or two will be replaced by something else, while a select few may join the list of long-term fandoms along with the likes of LOTR, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who.

Silverlode

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 3:36am

Post #17 of 22 (102 views)
Shortcut
well, I think it was openly focused on pop culture, entertainment, and fervor/passion [In reply to] Can't Post

some phrases from the opening page:
consumers of pop culture

Their Fandom is all-consuming, a jumping-off point for a deep dive into fan fiction, convention-attending, recap-writing, role-playing, costume-making, language-learning, and more.

There is a passion to this kind of Fandom that binds enthusiasts in the manner of people who share a secret (magpie notes: I bet there are plenty of things/people/etc with a wide fan base but the fan base isn't particular cohesive or social.)

Vulture has scanned the great plains of pop culture, weighing passion versus mere popularity

It's important to underscore that this list is not about mere numbers its about fervency.

The followers of the franchises, musicians, TV shows, authors, and directors on this list made it because of their supercharged, multipronged dedication, whether they be legion or a small guerilla troop. (Also: We limited it to fans of active pop-culture phenomena, so no Beatles.)

All of that would exclude Sherlock Holmes, I think.

And I don't think they were weighing how long a particular fan base has been active.

btw: did you guys catch the 'badges' you can grab? http://www.vulture.com/...favorite-fandom.html
The fact that people may want them is a symptom of a strong fan base. :-)

Also, they ended by saying:
Next week, Vulture will be following up this countdown with our list of the Most Devoted Individual Fans.

Anyone recognize this Influential Fan? http://www.vulture.com/...-fan-theonering.html

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 17 2012, 6:09am

Post #18 of 22 (62 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say all of those things apply to Sherlockians. In most cases, Sherlockians were doing it first, long before it was cool. Serious Sherlockians play "the Great Game", in which one treats Holmes and Watson as real people and all aspects of canon as historical. This frequently includes "fan fiction, convention attending, recap-writing, role-playing, costume-making", etc. They even used the pre-computer version of the "screen-name", using aliases from canon as Investiture names. All of this began long before the internet, and it has included some very famous people (Rex Stout, Isaac Asimov, Neil Gaiman, to name a few)

The Baker Street Irregulars (founded 1934) and their scion societies are every bit as dedicated as many of the fandoms on the list though less likely to be populated by teenagers, and therefore less vociferous and visible on the social networks. But the recent popularity of "Sherlock" is beginning to change that, and really, as pop-culture icons go, Sherlock Holmes has never been off the radar since the first story appeared. In fact, I think it's even more entrenched in the popular psyche than anything on that list, and therefore gets easily overlooked. This was your grandpa's fandom, and it's still going strong. Wink

A short list of Sherlockian societies, for the curious.

Silverlode

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 12:02pm

Post #19 of 22 (61 views)
Shortcut
I knew it was popular [In reply to] Can't Post

but I didn't know it was a cohesive form of popular, if you get the difference I'm going for. It certainly flies under my radar (or outside it). I guess a case could be made for Jane Austen societies. They're certainly active and social and costuming is a big deal for them. I don't know how much they indulge in fan fic but I think some 'fan fic' of Austen has even been published, hasn't it?

But I still think it gets hit by the last criteria. 'active pop-culture phenomena'. The current Sherlock Holmes series is popular but I'm not sensing a fervor rate popularity from those fans. I don't think that line refers to how active the fans are but how active in the realm of pop culture the subject of their fandom is. And I don't think Austen fans have the same fervor that they were trying to hit upon.

I guess I think the list hit just the sort of fan bases it set out to hit.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Welsh hero
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 9:04pm

Post #20 of 22 (46 views)
Shortcut
Some of the choices seem strange [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd count many as more dedicated before Game of thrones for example. Not sure if I'd put it in the top 25, most of the list has more dedicated fans

Doctor who, likes they said was kept alive when it was on hiatus by it's fans, if that's not dedication. no idea what is.

LOTR is around where it belongs, relative to others (sans Game of Thrones) anyone who's on twitter knows how scarily dedicated JB's fans are......

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Oct 17 2012, 9:08pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 18 2012, 9:05pm

Post #21 of 22 (52 views)
Shortcut
LOTR beaten by Justin Bieber? (sighs deeply and mournfully). What is this world coming to, I'd like to know?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Oct 18 2012, 9:06pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 19 2012, 12:58am

Post #22 of 22 (79 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be ashamed if we were higher on that list.

Having the greatest level of fan base insanity is not necessarily a positive, as Tolkien himself might have said...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.