Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend? Late Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 35 (504 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Late Edition Can't Post

Tell us about them here.

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 9:57pm

Post #2 of 35 (144 views)
Shortcut
The Big Year [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew nothing about this when Uncle Baggins rented it. He told me it was a comedy, and when I saw it starred Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson, I was afraid it was going to be one of the really stupid comedies he enjoys sometimes. But it turned out to be utterly charming, and we both loved it.

Owen Wilson plays a birder who holds the world record for the number of bird species spotted in one year in the United States. The other two are out to beat his record. Each of them have obstacles in their personal lives that get in the way (or not, depending on the character of the person.) Wilson's wife wants to have a baby, and needs him there to do his part. Martin is the head of a big corporation trying to lure him out of retirement to save the jobs of hundreds of people. Black has an ailing father.

The scenery is amazing, as they travel to national parks and sanctuaries all over the country. And the ending is bittersweet, but mostly sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 35 (245 views)
Shortcut
Argo *small spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo Hoo! Mr. Eruvande and I had a date night! Hooray for grandparents! We saw Argo, which is not made by Pixar, Disney or Dreamworks. Laugh

Argo is set during the time of the American hostage crisis in Iran, starting in 1979. I was 12 years old when it happened and remember it vividly. What I didn't remember was that six Americans managed to escape the US embassy as it was being overtaken and took refuge in the home of the Canadian ambassador. Argo tells the story of how the CIA orchestrated an elaborate ruse to get the six out, not only to save their lives, but the lives of the ambassador and his wife, who probably would have been killed as well for harboring CIA "spies". Even though I knew how it ended, the story was very suspenseful, with some "fictionalized dramatizations" thrown in, including Iranian police cars chasing a plane down the runway. I could be wrong, but I don't think that really happened. Wink

I recommend this movie. If you go, be sure to stay through the credits. There are side-by-side shots of real life events with their movie counterparts. This includes photos of the real people next to the actors. I must say, the casting agent found twins separated at birth for some of these. The resemblance was remarkable.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 11:16pm

Post #4 of 35 (153 views)
Shortcut
Walking Dead Marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

Season One and Season Two with the Season 3 premiere episode. The character development really stands out when you watch them back to back.

Though I do catch more continuity errors (especially in the background alignments).

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 11:47pm

Post #5 of 35 (161 views)
Shortcut
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy the 2003 (?) one [In reply to] Can't Post

it was amazing, loved it to bits. Lots of craziness, but what else to expect ?
I probably shouldn't have seen it this close to TH though... as now Martin Freeman is thoroughly stuck in my head as Arthur Dent Unimpressed

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 12:28am

Post #6 of 35 (158 views)
Shortcut
The grandkids were here, so it was Percy Jackson, Clash of the Titans, Jason & the Argonauts, and The Little Princess (1995) [In reply to] Can't Post

Percy Jackson was really horrible, to me. Even Sean Bean couldn't save that turkey.

The two Harryhausen films didn't fare much better. We laughed all the way through them.

We did, however, really enjoy this version of The Little Princess. It was set in the U.S. this time, I guess to attract more American viewers. But some Brit identity was left (the father) to keep it close to the original. I have to say that Eleanor Bron, as the proprietress of the boarding school where the little girl was staying, did an excellent job of being more than just "mean". She actually left me wondering what had happened to her in her life that made her the way she was. I'll always prefer the Shirley Temple version, but this was really worth watching, and more than once.

Permanent address: Into the West

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 1:10am

Post #7 of 35 (139 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to see this when it first came out [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like all three of these guys usually, even though they are sometimes over-the-top silly. But this looked more low key and thoughtful. Glad to read from you that it is. Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 1:13am

Post #8 of 35 (147 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on Date Night! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have other obstacles that make it difficult to get to the movies, but I might just have to make an extra effort to see this one.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 1:39am

Post #9 of 35 (135 views)
Shortcut
Did you ever see the BBC television series? [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I enjoyed the movie, I prefer the series. I like it better, in part I guess, because I saw it first, and partly because, as a series of 6(?) thirty minute episodes, they were able to do more. My nephew, who is about your age, had seen my DVD of the BBC series (yes, I even have it on DVD Cool) before seeing the movie so he likes the series better than the movie. His friends who watched the series after seeing the movie like the movie better. Go figure Wink

I must say, the special effects are muuuch better in the movie, but the cheesiness of the effects in the series is part of its charm. They knew the effects weren't that good so they just had fun with it. And as much as I admire Martin Freeman, no one else will ever be Arthur Dent but Simon Jones. He's just so wonderfully clueless.

BTW - I worked with someone in Poland (he was British, not Polish) whose father had a small part in the series. I was so thrilled, I kept pestering him about who he had played. My co-worker didn't know because he said that was before his time and he had never seen it. Crazy When he finally found out who his father had played and told me, saying I probably wouldn't remember because it was such a small part, he was shocked when I knew exactly who the character was. His response was, " Oh, that's worrying." Laugh

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 3:40am

Post #10 of 35 (122 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It was fascinating. I was 10 during the hostage crisis, and though I don't remember it vividly, that tense, grim look that Ben Affleck wears for most of the movie sure looked familiar. I didn't remember the rescue of the 6, but I love that this story was declassified and told. What creativity and cooperation! What courage and responsibility! What can we learn from it?

Where's Frodo?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 3:40am

Post #11 of 35 (138 views)
Shortcut
a bunch of stuff on Amazon Prime streaming [In reply to] Can't Post

(take note Patty!)

two episodes of Raging Planet - one on lightning and one on tornadoes. The one on lightning covered some stuff I hadn't heard about before and was pretty interesting. There's not much I haven't heard or seen about tornadoes but this show did some miniature scale models for simulating tornado strikes that was cool.

Story of the Costume Drama - a 2008 UK documentary about costume dramas, both tv and movie. It was kind of interesting and I got a bunch of ideas of stuff to watch later.

Storm Chasers - Do you get that I don't have cable and all this Discovery Channel stuff is new to me? The problem with tv shows with commercials is there's a lot of wrapping up before commercials and a lot of rewrapping up after commercials. So in a 45 minute show, a good 5-8 minutes of it is the same thing over and over again. And in the first season of Storm Chasers, they didn't catch too many storms. But the human element is interesting.

Battle for Terra - with a number of well known actors as voices - Evan Rachel Wood, Brian Cox, Luke Wilson, Amanda Peet, Dennis Quaid and Justin Long "Battle for Terra, originally screened as Terra, is a 2007 computer animated science fiction film, based on a short film of the same name about a peaceful alien planet which faces destruction from colonization by the displaced remainder of the human race." It was a bit didactic. Not so much as to be intolerable. It received 'average' ratings and I would rate it average as well.

We're also making our way through Hell On Wheels thanks to someone here mentioning it along with a number of other shows I enjoy. I like it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 3:43am

Post #12 of 35 (184 views)
Shortcut
I can remember, as a young adult... [In reply to] Can't Post

going home to watch old late night movies with my mom. We always cried at the sad ones and Shirley Temple's Little Princess is one we both cried a lot at. I don't think I've seen this newer movie.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 3:47am

Post #13 of 35 (130 views)
Shortcut
With the season 3 premier [In reply to] Can't Post

they are moving somewhat closer to the graphic series again (after a looong departure). There are still some obvious divergences, especially because of the character roster they are working with...

I'm still hoping that Rick and the first fellow who helped him (in the very first episode) are reunited. Part of the realism of the story is that you don't always find out what happens to people you encounter along the way. If you haven't seen them for a while, it's a safe bet they are dead. But if I recall correctly, that guy is featured around the time they find the prison.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 16 2012, 3:48am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 3:48am

Post #14 of 35 (148 views)
Shortcut
I talked up HHG series so much to my son when he was young, [In reply to] Can't Post

that he special ordered the VHS when he was about 10. I was sorry to see it was really bad quality. Almost unwatchable. I take it the DVD is better.

We also had the cassette tapes of either the audio books or the radio drama, I can't remember which and we might have had both. We were listening during one vacation in the Black Hills and I got to laughing so hard at one point I couldn't stop and I couldn't catch my breath. I had to turn the tape off and let myself simmer down before proceeding.

I have great fondness for that series.

edit to add: on a related, Douglas Adams note. I was talking to my other son (the younger) who is a HUGE DA fan about the Dirk Gently books and mentioned reading them. He corrected me. I hadn't read them. Sure I had (I replied). No, he was sure I hadn't read them because I would have heard about them from him and he hadn't talked to me about them. Well... (I replied), when I read them, you were 9 months old. In fact, (I added) I was the one who had turned them onto Douglas Adams and prompted the purchase of the HHG video tape.

I just thought it was a funny example of how kids can't really conceive of a life their parents leading a life before them.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 16 2012, 3:54am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 3:57am

Post #15 of 35 (155 views)
Shortcut
Hell on Wheels [In reply to] Can't Post

It always strikes me as a show I would really enjoy but I have yet to make time for it... what has caught my attention is the actor who plays Elam Ferguson --in real life his name is "Common" -- he's an actor to watch, very charismatic that one.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 4:10am

Post #16 of 35 (136 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got a difficult role, I think.. portraying a black man in a highly prejudiced time and place. (just after the Civil War) But he's doing a good job of it.

It was easy to try to compare this to Deadwood but the 'bad guy' doesn't seem nearly so bad as Swearingen (and I liked Al) and the 'good guy' not nearly so good as Bullock. In fact, trying to make them 'bad' or 'good' may be misguided. We'll see how things pan out. Isn't it funny how we jump to conclusions about the roles of good and bad in these things. Why would I qualify either as bad or good? I don't know. But I do. I think we're supposed to suspect the investor (played by Colm Meany) and root for the emotionally wounded Confederate vet. And Elam Ferguson likes the Confederate and we like Elam so that must mean he's got a heart of gold in that rough, gritty exterior.

There are some beautiful location shots. I guess it's actually filmed on the Canadian prairies, not the US prairies. (We actually traveled across the Canadian prairies in 1976 and it was a very memorable experience.) I recognized one of the actors from another Canadian filmed tv show (the DaVinci series) so it might have more Canadian actors.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 7:01am

Post #17 of 35 (154 views)
Shortcut
Bicentennial Man! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another film that was on TV, and one I've also watched plenty of times. It's a great concept though - great acting, great script, great plot. And it does tug on the heartstrings as well. Evil

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

paperC
Rivendell

Oct 16 2012, 10:10am

Post #18 of 35 (132 views)
Shortcut
Die Hard 4, Bee Movie, 3:10 to Yuma, War of the World & The Fighter [In reply to] Can't Post

Been visiting my cousin who got a great home cinema. It was well spent.

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 16 2012, 11:18am

Post #19 of 35 (160 views)
Shortcut
Seven Psychopaths [In reply to] Can't Post

A combination of dark humor and great actors portraying some highly disturbed individuals made this an entertaining movie for me. There were several instances where I found myself laughing out loud, along with the rest of the audience. Some of the violence near the end was a bit over the top, but this is a movie about psychopaths. Christopher Walken's character was my favorite, but I do have to mention Woody Harrelson. He was, well, what we have come to expect - Woody Harrelson: A hybrid of his roles in Natural Born Killers and Zombieland.

Hide the children.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 11:50am

Post #20 of 35 (117 views)
Shortcut
Haha awesome zarabia :D, yeah sadly I haven't seen the BBC series ... but maybe I should! [In reply to] Can't Post

That story's pretty funny!Laugh
Yeah, must check them out :¨)

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 11:54am

Post #21 of 35 (124 views)
Shortcut
LOL about your younger son... and I know what you mean regarding that [In reply to] Can't Post

though it's different of course, I frequently get flustered when I find out something really interesting and tell my friends and they don't really care much about it... then about a year later, they discover it (as they'd forgotten that I'd told them already >_>)... and then blab to me about it as if I hadn't already known and that I should know because it's so coool.. . . . Pirate

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 3:35pm

Post #22 of 35 (108 views)
Shortcut
I liked it a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

saw it on a plane & rented it when I got home for better viewing.

The scene with the eagles is so wonderful; I replayed several times.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2012, 3:51pm

Post #23 of 35 (119 views)
Shortcut
The Secret Life of Bees [In reply to] Can't Post

which I had not seen before. I liked it, not hugely but enough. Good cast, and I have to admit I teared up a couple of times. Did not realize Paul Bettany was T. Ray until the credits.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2012, 2:12am

Post #24 of 35 (123 views)
Shortcut
Beasts of the Southern Wild (at the theater) [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew almost nothing about this going in and wasn't sure were it was taking me through most of the movie. But wow... just wow. By the end, I was sold. I loved this movie and I especially loved the actress who was 5 years old when she did this film.

This is pretty much told from the point of view of the child who has been left to pretty much fend for her self in the world. So she has this kind of fantasy outlook on things.. maybe more magical than fantasy. But it's all rooted in the deep seated realities of life. So fantasy is mixed up with mud and hunger - a hunger for food and for love. She is being taught to fend for herself and she does pretty well for a six year old (the five year old actress played a six year old character).

I'd love to get some commentary track on this and watching it again could be fruitful.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 17 2012, 2:53am

Post #25 of 35 (109 views)
Shortcut
not certain where I read/heard it [In reply to] Can't Post

But the actor who played Morgan has teased that he will return. I think I also saw/heard it on Talking Dead or one of the blogs.

I haven't read the graphic novel but have caught snippets as to how the show and the "book" diverge.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.