Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Has Tolkien ever drawn Gandalf?

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2012, 2:09am

Post #1 of 7 (218 views)
Shortcut
Has Tolkien ever drawn Gandalf? Can't Post

I've read that there is a colored illustration of Gandalf by Tolkien out there, but I cannot seem to find it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 7 (113 views)
Shortcut
The closest thing I can think of, and I'm not even sure of this [In reply to] Can't Post

is I *think* he drew a picture of a wizard in Roverandom. I'll have to look when I get home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 11:41pm

Post #3 of 7 (83 views)
Shortcut
This thread would be awesome in ''Main' no? And sorry, have no clue :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

squire
Valinor

Oct 16 2012, 1:56am

Post #4 of 7 (104 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there are two examples in Rateliff's "The History of the Hobbit" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any way of posting them just now, but you can find them in Part One, "Mr. Baggins", after page 216 in the illustrations. See Plates III and V: "Gandalf on the doorstep at Bag-End." and "The Three Trolls are turned to Stone." The Gandalf revealed to us is not exactly inspiring, as the human figure was not Tolkien's artistic strong point.

I'll try to post them when I get a chance, if you're still interested.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2012, 3:16am

Post #5 of 7 (61 views)
Shortcut
I am [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's not too much trouble, that is.

squire
Valinor

Oct 16 2012, 7:46pm

Post #6 of 7 (130 views)
Shortcut
Here they are, in all their cranky glory [In reply to] Can't Post

Here you go:

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

duats
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2012, 8:50pm

Post #7 of 7 (134 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much [In reply to] Can't Post

Is his right hand raised up to his hat in the second picture?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.