Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit magazine with content by TORn
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kareniel
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 6:59pm

Post #26 of 76 (919 views)
Shortcut
If you live near Akron, Ohio [In reply to] Can't Post

go to the Stow Walmart on Hudson Drive. There are several copies in the very middle of the mag section in the rear of the store. (I slid two of them behind the Family Handyman - Special Tool Edition magazine. ;) ) What a wonderful treasure hunt!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 9:16pm

Post #27 of 76 (863 views)
Shortcut
This sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

Any spoilers, visual or textual?

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 9:59pm

Post #28 of 76 (943 views)
Shortcut
I did a detailed write-up [In reply to] Can't Post

in the thread on Pg 2. (What has it got in its handses.)

Ah, so that's who wrote all this stuff! I am still reading it, I don't like to rush these things, I like to savor thisstuff like..well, fine Dorwinian wineEvil. (So that article *was* yours, Altaira? The first time I read that, I nearly choked on my tea, I was laughing so hard. But everyone's work is FANTASTIC...how did you manage to have so few ads?
(and what IS "Blowfish" anyway? Maybe it has Longbottom Leaf in it, precious...Sly)

Pssst....I know it's late in the game, but seeing as Altaira hasn't gotten back to me,..... I have 5 copies on hold at the bookstore until Friday, anyone who isn't covered with a copy PM me and I'll see if we can work something out.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 15 2012, 4:13am

Post #29 of 76 (841 views)
Shortcut
There are two Josh's on staff [In reply to] Can't Post

Josh Long is Elessar and Josh Rubinstein is Sarumann, and the second Josh works in creating DVDs and Bluray, so he got the technical article by default.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2012, 6:33am

Post #30 of 76 (807 views)
Shortcut
Patiently waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

Two sibs have promised to get me a copy and Aunt Dora Baggins has been so kind to scan the page my work is on Smile (although that Glaurung is staring quite fierce at my work, I hope he keeps his flames away from it).

I can't wait to see it, from what I read here, it must be very pretty.

Well done all!!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 8:39am

Post #31 of 76 (884 views)
Shortcut
RIR your Avatar w/Samwise is Beautiful... [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 9:35am

Post #32 of 76 (802 views)
Shortcut
No luck at B&N [In reply to] Can't Post

Will try a few other places today.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2012, 10:24am

Post #33 of 76 (803 views)
Shortcut
It's too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

that the publisher seemed to stop with the credits from page 60 on! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 3:55pm

Post #34 of 76 (795 views)
Shortcut
No profile of TOR rpg? [In reply to] Can't Post

Copies of the magazine have showed up at our local (Buffalo, NY) Wegmans supermarkets. I haven't seen it at B&N yet, or anywhere else, but I'm sure that more copies are surfacing.

One minor disappointment: While the magazine does include write-ups for the Games Workshop LOTR strategy game and the latest Middle-earth video games, there is not even a mention of Cubicle 7's role-playing game The One Ring: Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild. The core game was released over the summer, including an Adventurer's Book, the Loremaster's Book, two 22" X 17" maps and a set of customized dice. Since then, the campaign supplimement Tales from Wilderland has been released and Lake-town (which includes a Loremaster's Screen) is due out late-October or early-November. Individual sets of The One Ring dice can also be purchased.

I'm not sure if I like the game better than Iron Crown's old MERP, but I haven't actually been able to play it in a group setting yet. It definitely has a unique flavor, being unlike any other fantasy rpg that I've played, especially in its treatment of magic.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 4:10pm

Post #35 of 76 (744 views)
Shortcut
Video games [In reply to] Can't Post

For me I just concentrated on the two upcoming video games to be honest. Those two games seemed like the biggest deals and ones that would draw the most interest from fans.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 4:20pm

Post #36 of 76 (744 views)
Shortcut
I understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is still ironic that the game that gets ommited is the one that has The One Ring in its title!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

diedye
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2012, 4:25pm

Post #37 of 76 (798 views)
Shortcut
I am NOT a happy camper... [In reply to] Can't Post

Every copy I've found at several vendors has been either creased, torn, gouged, the edges dented or had the shiny film covering the magazine peeling off.

I really hate it when they deliver the bundle of magazines tied up with plastic "rope"... it always ends up damaging all the copies because it cuts into the sides of the magazines... and having the "gloss" peel off is just tacky.

So much for a "collectible" copy... it's not worth a dang to me if it's damaged... Mad

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 4:26pm

Post #38 of 76 (786 views)
Shortcut
Niche [In reply to] Can't Post

Games like that tend to be a niche of a niche. Just didn't think it was something that would generate much interest.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 12:52am

Post #39 of 76 (737 views)
Shortcut
Oh.... you MUST have [In reply to] Can't Post

at least 2. One to drool on and run around showing everyone, and the other to put into a plastic sleeve and slip onto the shelf with the rest of your treasured Middle-earth books ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 12:56am

Post #40 of 76 (732 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry :( [In reply to] Can't Post

The shipping and packaging sounds so shoddy. I'm glad you found some, but you should be able to expect good copies that are intact. Especially since it says right on the cover that it's a collectible!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 3:08am

Post #41 of 76 (771 views)
Shortcut
Okay... everyone fess up... [In reply to] Can't Post

who told the clerk why you were buying the magazine?

I couldn't help it. I did. She opened the window for conversation by asking when the movie was being released.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 16 2012, 4:50am

Post #42 of 76 (726 views)
Shortcut
I didn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though when I put my copies on hold I told the manager, "You might be interested to know that not even the people who worked on this have copies yet..." he didn't ask what it was, or blink an eyelash. I'm stilla little embarrassed about all this. It's a far cry from 10 yrs ago (or even 6 or 7) when I worked at this bookstore, did all the Harry Potter midnight release parties, and spent a good deal of my time talking up Tolkien and my other favorite authors to customers. Oh, what fun I had---makes me wish I had the time to work there again, so I could geek out with TH! But too many things take up my time now, for me to adhere to the schedule I had the better part of a decade ago...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2012, 7:50am

Post #43 of 76 (731 views)
Shortcut
In my case... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the clerk who started the conversation, first by asking me if I knew they were making it into three movies and talking about how they must be filming every little thing in the book, and I told him they were including stuff from the LOTR Appendices, not just the Hobbit book, and the conversation went on from there....and then he enthused about Game of Thrones for a few minutes until another customer got in line at the counter. Laugh

Silverlode

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 9:04am

Post #44 of 76 (743 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah... ol' blabber-mouth blabbed ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when I was first trying to hunt down a copy and NO ONE had anything on their shelves and I resorted to phone calls to bookstores way out of town "But I'm a contributor! I really want one!"

When I finally did find one, I went through self-checkout and so couldn't speak directly to a cashier... but I DID hunt down a manager and thanked them for stocking it. "You are the ONLY ones in this whole town who had this on the shelf... and I appreciate it so much!"

"Uh... thank you," he said backing away. He was very busy.

"No, you don't understand! This was important!"

"Good. Okay. Thank you."

"No! Thank YOU!" *geeky twitter* And I skipped out the door.

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 12:25pm

Post #45 of 76 (720 views)
Shortcut
So is everyone who is looking for one of these finding one? // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 16 2012, 12:25pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2012, 12:57pm

Post #46 of 76 (753 views)
Shortcut
I'm out of town this week [In reply to] Can't Post

and without a car, so I won't be able to search until I get home this weekend. I'm sure I'll find some, and I'm taking a bunch of copies to New Zealand with me in November.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 1:40pm

Post #47 of 76 (741 views)
Shortcut
lol... I love the backing away part. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's the geek smell that comes off us. I've had people do that when I was talking folk dancing or Morris dancing. It was like I was trying to hand them a religious tract. They wanted to put just enough room between us so they could flee if I tried.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 3:44pm

Post #48 of 76 (723 views)
Shortcut
hmmm... what's going on in November? [In reply to] Can't Post

*SWOON, KERPLUNK*

I'm grabbing a couple of extra ones. More if I can find some this week. So let me know if you come up short.

sample

Unused Scenes

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 16 2012, 4:49pm

Post #49 of 76 (786 views)
Shortcut
Not at WalMart, but the Martin's/Giant supermarket chain has it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Oct 16 2012, 4:51pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 16 2012, 5:26pm

Post #50 of 76 (729 views)
Shortcut
I got mine at the local City News :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

link. Just walked right in and bought it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.