Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Wellington Premiere website.

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 9:04pm

Post #1 of 17 (517 views)
Shortcut
Wellington Premiere website. Can't Post

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere
http://www.wellingtonnz.com/middleofmiddle-earth

I've just been told that Warner Bros. are in charge of bleacher seating and no seats will be available for purchase but there will be a number allocated to the city council to be used as competition prizes.

athenslotr
The Shire

Oct 15 2012, 3:55pm

Post #2 of 17 (353 views)
Shortcut
So no grandstands.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and no outdoor seating allowed for businesses along the route. Looks like its definitely going to be a first-come first-served for good viewing spots along the route. I plan on bringing some overnight supplies (food, games, etc.) and staking out a good spot on Tuesday night.

Guess I could start a thread for a Red Carpet line party....

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 23 2012, 4:44am

Post #3 of 17 (326 views)
Shortcut
camping out [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you happen to know if people are going to be bringing tents to stay in the night before? Do they allow that, or did they in the past? This will be my first time there, and just would like to know what to expect. I know here in the US they often allow tents for those camping out along a red carpet route, at least small ones. I suspect it will be very cold as well!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

athenslotr
The Shire

Oct 23 2012, 4:00pm

Post #4 of 17 (281 views)
Shortcut
Not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

haven't seen anything regarding overnight camping/tents/etc. I've talked to a few more people and it seems many are planning on arriving early on the morning of the premiere instead of staying out overnight.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 28 2012, 3:46am

Post #5 of 17 (397 views)
Shortcut
I phoned Wellington City Council on Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

for dos and don'ts for those going to the premier. When they get back to me I'll post the information here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 29 2012, 5:16am

Post #6 of 17 (402 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ataahua! That'll be a big help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would like to know, especially those of us coming from other countries who haven't been to one of these events before.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 31 2012, 5:56am

Post #7 of 17 (264 views)
Shortcut
I hopr you're not holding your breath Ataahua. [In reply to] Can't Post

After 3 calls from me went unanswered, a threat to contact my local city councillor did result in a call back.

athenslotr
The Shire

Oct 31 2012, 4:53pm

Post #8 of 17 (238 views)
Shortcut
results? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they provide any useful tips in their call back?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 31 2012, 6:10pm

Post #9 of 17 (206 views)
Shortcut
I have finally got a response. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to follow it up with an email yesterday but I've got this back:

Unfortunately there is no overnight camping permitted in central Wellington. During the lead up to The Hobbit Premiere there will be substantial amounts of trade vehicles and contractors setting up and organising the event. With several road closures in place for that weekend there will also be an increase in pedestrian traffic in the entire CBD area. For more information on the Bylaw governing public places please follow the below link to our website. http://www.wellington.govt.nz/plans/bylaws/public-places.html

Unfortunately they've answered only one of my questions. I asked for a list of dos and don't for people turning up to the premier, including (for instance) liquor bans or requirements to keep footpaths clear - but at least they answered the overnight camping question.

To be honest, that's a pretty poor response to a public query.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 31 2012, 6:33pm

Post #10 of 17 (196 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was making an enquiry about organizing grandstand seating.

Old Toby
Gondor

Nov 1 2012, 5:05am

Post #11 of 17 (204 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how early we can get there then? [In reply to] Can't Post

since they are not allowing overnight camping out. Then they'll have a lot of folks showing up that morning, and I wonder how early we would be allowed to be there. Any hope in getting an answer to this? Thanks in advance for all your legwork!

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 1 2012, 5:26am

Post #12 of 17 (236 views)
Shortcut
Liquor bans. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there's any chance that the existing ban on drinking alcohol in the street will be relaxed. Courtenay Place is lively enough at night at the best of times.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 9:03am

Post #13 of 17 (223 views)
Shortcut
You could try ringing them up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Then they can't ignore any questions. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 1 2012, 6:32pm

Post #14 of 17 (193 views)
Shortcut
I phoned them the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

and followed it with an email six days later.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 1 2012, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 17 (252 views)
Shortcut
As long as you're willing to dodge workers [In reply to] Can't Post

setting up for the premier, I'm sure you could lurk to your heart's content - just don't bring anything (sleeping bag, mini tent) that screams 'camping'.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 1 2012, 9:27pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 1 2012, 9:01pm

Post #16 of 17 (394 views)
Shortcut
Ahh I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

It's terribly annoying when somebody ignores a question in an email.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 3 2012, 4:55am

Post #17 of 17 (585 views)
Shortcut
I would go in disguise [In reply to] Can't Post

Dress up as a politician or a Wellington civil servant. Put some secret supplies in your briefcase. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.