Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Cat or dog?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Cat or dog?
CAT!
DOG!
Both / Cannot decide.
View Results (64 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 8:22pm

Post #1 of 60 (699 views)
Shortcut
Cat or dog? Can't Post

Are you a cat-person or do you rather prefer the company of dogs, or neither of them?

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 8:26pm

Post #2 of 60 (294 views)
Shortcut
Very much a dog person [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up with dogs, from a toddler all the way to adulthood. Now I live away from home ... I have a cat. Tongue

I'd love a dog, but cats can entertain themselves. They don't need regular walks, they come and go as they please. We wanted a pet, so a cat was the best option. We're both at work for long hours (believe it or not!) and it would be unfair to have a dog.

So really, I'm probably considered both a cat and dog person.

Misto
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 8:35pm

Post #3 of 60 (282 views)
Shortcut
Very much a dog person [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming from a horsey background I'm just used to pets you can do something with and that you can expect to do your bidding (to some extend Wink) Cats just don't fit into that picture. They're just... well... there. As far as I'm concerned I might just as well keep a goldfish

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 8:47pm

Post #4 of 60 (292 views)
Shortcut
Good point, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

Something I love with cats is that they're so independent, they can look after themselves very well whereas a dog you constantly have to babysit because the dog needs you 24/7.

I am a cat person, but I like dogs as well, just not as much as cats. Cats doesn't require so much time spent on them - apart from dogs.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 60 (274 views)
Shortcut
Dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Cats don't much like me. Except for the cat I bought for my kids who ignored them completely and only wanted to sit on me. (and she at all their foam toys and threw them up in little piles all over the floor). I've had cats deliberately pee on me. I've had cats jump up on my dresser, look at me, and knock things off it. (just like this one Then I got allergic to cats and now they are like toxic substances. I get wheezy just being in a house with cats but if I get dander in my eye, the eyeball reacts very badly and it's so painful and debilitating I just go to bed with a wet washcloth on my eyes and hope for sleep.

Now dogs. I quite enjoy the right sort of dog. Not small and yappy. Not too big. I definitely would avoid those that are bred for more aggressive purposes: German shepherds, pit bulls, dobermans, and rottweilers, for example.

During my childhood I had a mutt, a Chihuahua (not the sort of dog I would think I'd enjoy but it was had a delightful personality), and a Pomeranian Spitz (not that great of a personality, unfortunately).

My young adult dog was border collie that I was very bonded to and died unexpectedly from cancer. It was so devastating to me that I have resisted getting another dog. But I dearly loved my friend's dog who was part lab and part greyhound. If I were to get another dog, I'd seriously consider a greyhound.

But having kids in the house... and now grown kids.. and living in the city.. I don't desire a dog much. I enjoy them when I visit households where they live, however.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 14 2012, 8:56pm

Post #6 of 60 (270 views)
Shortcut
Neither [In reply to] Can't Post

Never have been though I am the mother of an animal lover... heck of an animal magnet... If there was a stray or homeless animal anywhere near my daughter it ended up in my backyard.

We've had horses, a donkey, cats, dogs, gerbils, hamsters, mice, parakeets, goldfish. We are now down to two cats (both of whom are over 12 years old) and two dogs. One of whom my brother left on my hands when he went through a divorce five years ago and the other one my daughter put a bow on and presented to her father when it proved to be one too many for her husband to take (especially given that its got a hyper personality and needs lots of space which they don't have)

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 12:41am

Post #7 of 60 (277 views)
Shortcut
Ugh neither [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot stand pets. I've had both a cat and a dog growing up, but I will never have a pet of my own. They're too much work - too dependent. I don't like having to be tied down to feeding and walking and letting them go to the bathroom. Ugh.

The only animals I truly love are horses. I'm pretty obsessed with them, but I don't have one and probably never will. I'd like to, but again, they're too much work to have my own.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 15 2012, 12:48am

Post #8 of 60 (257 views)
Shortcut
A quote for you: [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am not a cat man, but a dog man, and all felines can tell this at a glance - a sharp, vindictive glance." - author James Thurber.

(I'm a cat lover - does annoy the heck out of me.)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 1:43am

Post #9 of 60 (284 views)
Shortcut
It's true... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am certain cats know I'm not fond of them.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 2:38am

Post #10 of 60 (264 views)
Shortcut
I grew up with dogs... [In reply to] Can't Post

and still absolutely love dogs. I haven't owned one in years though. My wife is a cat person, so when we moved in together, she had two cats. The younger of the two would have tolerated a dog because she played with the neighbours dogs, but the older one would have croaked on the spot. Since moving in, we somehow acquired two more cats. So I have become a cat person I suppose as well. The oldest cat has just passed away recently, so once the wounds heal a bit we may look at a dog. We'll see. I like animals in general, I grew up with pet rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, turtles....

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 6:56am

Post #11 of 60 (253 views)
Shortcut
My cat would love you Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

My Dad absolutely detests cats. But who does my cat go to in a room full of family? .... him. They can smell fear. Wink

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 7:09am

Post #12 of 60 (304 views)
Shortcut
Conclusion: [In reply to] Can't Post

There are more cat people than dog people here (so far) but dog people are more inclined to write about it.

macfalk
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 7:15am

Post #13 of 60 (254 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

And what are you, if I may ask? Cool

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 7:45am

Post #14 of 60 (269 views)
Shortcut
Cat all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I have had a couple of dogs whom I loved very much. But I respect the independence and individuality of cats!

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 15 2012, 10:55am

Post #15 of 60 (392 views)
Shortcut
Sneeze, itch, scratch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cats and dogs are a thing of the past for me due to severe allergies to both. I used to have a cat and Mrs. D had dogs.

I'm with you on the horses. In my childhood and beyond, every summer we spent a week at a ranch, learning various aspects of grooming, riding and care. I love the smell of horses. I always make my way to the horse barn at the county fair each summer to feed/pet the foal.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 1:30pm

Post #16 of 60 (252 views)
Shortcut
Cats usually go to the one who doesn't look at them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Staring is a dominant action, so if the cat walks into the room, and all the cat lovers look over at him, he's going to go over to the person not looking at him.

I like cats well enough, but I don't want them jumping up on my lap and getting hair everywhere, so I make sure I stare hard at one who has that look. You know, when they stare for a few seconds at a spot they wish to sit on. I always say they're counting the angels in that spot to see if there is room for them also. Cats are spooky that way: they can see angels. TongueLaugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 1:31pm

Post #17 of 60 (250 views)
Shortcut
That's the best kind of horse to have. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one that belongs to someone else.Laugh

They are a money pit, believe me.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 1:49pm

Post #18 of 60 (242 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to remember that trick [In reply to] Can't Post

They are so toxic to me, that when they jump up in my lap, I have to get someone else to remove them. I can't risk getting that dander in my eyes or I won't even be able to drive home.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 1:50pm

Post #19 of 60 (257 views)
Shortcut
Where's Annael? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now there's a dog lover! Smile

I like dogs better than cats, but I like them both. When I was growing up, the only animal we actively sought out for a pet were dogs. The cats we had just showed up and decided free food was better than getting it on your own.

When I was a vet tech, I always preferred dog patients, though. Dogs always seemed so grateful that you were helping them to get well. There were a couple of cats I had as patients who, I swear, died just to spite me. They were cats who started out not that sick, but refused to eat, or refused to let me handle them without a fight, and I felt should have made a full recovery. But no. Despite everyone's best efforts, they died on purpose. Unimpressed

Here's our cat, Daisy, if I can do attachments correctly.
Attachments: Daisy.jpg (31.9 KB)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 1:51pm

Post #20 of 60 (231 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that almost immediately // [In reply to] Can't Post

Delrond
Rohan

Oct 15 2012, 2:20pm

Post #21 of 60 (242 views)
Shortcut
And they have no respect [In reply to] Can't Post

for one's flowers or garden. Laugh

Oh, we got to see several expensive vet visits: medicating the older horses, stitching the wild ones that tried to jump the barbed wire fence, hoof trimming and for those lucky ones - new shoes! One year, my horse had colic - but they didn't know it until I was out on the trail and the horse started to lie down while I was riding her. It took a while to get her back in.

It really was a great time though. After they had cooled off and groomed, I got to take them back out. If we were early enough before the AM ride, we got to go out and round them up. A feed bucket worked well on most occasions, then just slip the bridle right on. Smile

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 2:58pm

Post #22 of 60 (224 views)
Shortcut
We have always had both [In reply to] Can't Post

as a child and as an adult. But they are like people in that some of them have great personalities and some do not. I have become greatly attached to some of them and not to others. And we live on rural acreage so it has been a good place for them. But when we have to move which we will eventually, we maybe will have a cat but probably not a dog. I think cats can adjust to an urban lifestyle much more readily than a dog.

ArdamŪrŽ
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 3:02pm

Post #23 of 60 (238 views)
Shortcut
Horses [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent one summer living in Kansas and we knew some people that own a ranch. We spent most of the summer going over and learning to ride and take care of the horses. Such a fun summer. I was able to go back this past summer and greatly enjoyed getting to ride again. Ah, I could do that forever Heart

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 15 2012, 4:26pm

Post #24 of 60 (263 views)
Shortcut
No 'Neither' category? [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up around both cats and dogs, but I have to admit to finding cats easier to deal with as pets.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 4:51pm

Post #25 of 60 (238 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to teach the pigeons to stare at my cat! He'll stay away from their eggs then ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.