Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A closer look at Bolg
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 6:32pm

Post #26 of 99 (2405 views)
Shortcut
It's from here :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 6:33pm

Post #27 of 99 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Phibbus. I missed this! / [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 6:36pm

Post #28 of 99 (2382 views)
Shortcut
Daisy chain making, I imagine. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 6:49pm

Post #29 of 99 (2368 views)
Shortcut
Recipes and such... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe travelogues? Probably some anti-elf politics and imp-rearing wisdom thrown in.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 6:49pm

Post #30 of 99 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 6:51pm

Post #31 of 99 (2352 views)
Shortcut
All distinct possibilities! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 7:09pm

Post #32 of 99 (2403 views)
Shortcut
Something like this: Bolg's travelogue of Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

The house we were staying in is situated in a luxurious area of Mirkwood, within thirty minutes’ ride from Lothlorien. We stayed there for 2 weeks. Dol Guldur is a fairly large castle surrounded with a luxuriant garden.

The fortress consists of four bed-rooms, a living-room, a bathroom with a shower, a dinning-room, a kitchen and a toilet. It is air-conditioned and well-furnished. The living-room is decorated beautifully. Heads of famous Elves are hung on the walls.

On weekends, the Necromancer usually hosts party games. We play chess and drink tea with his friends. The slaves often keep the fortress clean and tidy.

Well worth a visit. 8.5/10

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 7:17pm

Post #33 of 99 (2306 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminded me of an entry from Jonathan Harker's diary in Dracula.

Interesting that the setting for the photo does appear to be Dol Guldur.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 7:37pm

Post #34 of 99 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Heehee! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

And yep, it seems to to further confirm that the ruined locale where Gandy encounters Thrain (and now apparently Bolg) is in fact the Fortress of Sorcery.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2012, 7:39pm

Post #35 of 99 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Alas the red seal just says [In reply to] Can't Post

Let the journey begin (in a few languages). It's the back of the box we need!

LR

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 7:45pm

Post #36 of 99 (2298 views)
Shortcut
Party games note [In reply to] Can't Post

In one party game, Captain Agnaz made up a dirty limerick about why our host only had nine fingers. The Necromancer seemed somewhat unamused.

Must make sure next captain is mute.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2012, 7:54pm

Post #37 of 99 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Apparently Yazneg figures are in stock in UK Toys R Us stores [In reply to] Can't Post

Just need some volunteer to pop in with a notebook and jot down the biography from the box.

LR

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 7:56pm

Post #38 of 99 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Where did you hear this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wee need to know more about his character bio Crazy!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2012, 8:08pm

Post #39 of 99 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Just been on the Toys R Us [In reply to] Can't Post

Website. They seem to have a "click and collect" option which then tells you which stores have it in stock. I get an "in stock" message for the ones near me in Manchester.

LR

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 8:12pm

Post #40 of 99 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Must have been released recently [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/...48)?searchPosition=1

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 8:13pm

Post #41 of 99 (2259 views)
Shortcut
My local TRU doesn't have a thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a hint of Hobbit merchandise!

Phibbus
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 8:14pm

Post #42 of 99 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Ahh... [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I see that tolkiendrim.com got their pic & zoom from the toysrus.co.uk page for the figure. No detailed description, though. The seal catchphrase makes sense now—the appearance of additional lines in the multi-lingual version had thrown me.

Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.

(This post was edited by Phibbus on Oct 14 2012, 8:21pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2012, 10:04pm

Post #43 of 99 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Bear Bones [In reply to] Can't Post

Acording Bolg size could those bones of his coustume be of a bear? I mean that would give us a clue of what he found in his way to mirkwood and to dol guldur perhaps he killed one Beorns relatives and so filmakers could have a heavier drama to what happens at the bBOFA are those claws of his shoulder of a bear?

I can not guarantee his safety - understood...
Nor will I be responsible for his fate - Doh!

(This post was edited by isaac on Oct 14 2012, 10:06pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2012, 10:08pm

Post #44 of 99 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Well Azog is in the films in some form. [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally found a pic of the back of the Bolg figure's box and he is mentioned as Bolg's sire.

Interestingly on the Bridge Direct site, the Bolg and Gandalf pack is entitled "Bolg and Battle Damaged Gandalf"

LR

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 11:15pm

Post #45 of 99 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Loving his design overall, but still mega-annoyed that he's at Dol Guldur and therefore intimately linked with the Necromancer.. *sigh*// [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

thoon
Bree

Oct 15 2012, 1:37am

Post #46 of 99 (2106 views)
Shortcut
I agree, could be a new breed [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been suggested that Bolg and/or Azog are tied into some sort of necromancy subplot. One of the character descriptions references one of them as being "thought dead" and Bolg definitely gives off a tattered, Frankenstein vibe. It's possible that the Necromancer is trying to create a stronger race of Orc through some sort of sorcery, planning to use them in the coming war. But while Bolg looks intimidating, he's still just one Orc (albeit supernaturally charged).

Enter Saruman with the White Council, and I can see where the concept of the Uruk-hai might have come from. Every dark wizard needs a horde of minions, especially when you have so much ground to cover searching for the ring. But the common orc is far too simple for the like of Saruman. He might see Bolg as an inspiration, as an experiment to be refined. However, the idea of magically strengthening individual orcs doesn't mesh with Saruman's obsession with mass produced mechanical efficiency. So instead of necromancy, Saruman breeds the Uruk-hai and engineers them as the truly "perfected" orc.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 7:08am

Post #47 of 99 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Hate to be negative after so many great designs [In reply to] Can't Post

but the armour and weapons of Bolg represent everything that is bad about such things in movies which is a double shame given the fact that what we see of these in LOTR and other aspects of The Hobbit are considerably better than this and generally the best ever seen in non historical movies and even better than weapons and armour as seen in many historical movies. With these things less is more and being based in reality removes any ridiculous spectacle over the top designs impose on the movie audience. Orcs had the skill to make effective weapons and armour, Tolkien notes this on more than one occasion, unfortunately Bolg looks ridiculous.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 7:15am

Post #48 of 99 (2070 views)
Shortcut
Intimately linked? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only a PG-13, Xana. Wink

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 8:13am

Post #49 of 99 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Armor? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that was his own exposed ribcage...either I've been watching too much The Walking Dead the past few days or he's zombie Bolg.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Oct 15 2012, 9:08am

Post #50 of 99 (2005 views)
Shortcut
It's not his own ribcage [In reply to] Can't Post

On the action figure it's easier to tell that it's not his. He also has someone's spinal column attached to his back. Someone posted a good number of closeup shots of the figure a while back, but it's lost in the avalanche of new threads now.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.