Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why everybody thinks ... [possible spoilers]
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2012, 9:22am

Post #26 of 53 (607 views)
Shortcut
This might not be the place to bring this up - [In reply to] Can't Post

- and it's not in direct response to the o/p, but - does anyone else wince when someone says something along the lines of 'Radagast was an Istari' ? Or is it just me? Crazy

The singular is istar. (see Unfinished Tales; 'The Istari). Note the uncapitalized 'i'. While I'm at it, Radagast is not an ainur, either; nor a maiar. That's like calling me a 'men', or mrs g. a 'women'.

Sorry, but this sort of thing makes my teeth itch. 'Mummerkkill' - That's another one! pJ speaks of the mummerkkills on the Pelennor Fields; and how they used the prop of a dead 'mummerrkkil' to conceal some fiming equipment. Ack!

rant over...

Spencissimus
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 9:39am

Post #27 of 53 (528 views)
Shortcut
The "mummerkill" might just have been his Kiwi accent // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 9:51am

Post #28 of 53 (522 views)
Shortcut
The purse feeds me spoilers. [In reply to] Can't Post

And he says he kills Radagast! Shocked

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 10:01am

Post #29 of 53 (557 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guilty of all of these. Heck, I can't even write in English at the best of times. Let alone writing words from Tolkien!

Please forgive me, oh King Geordie!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2012, 10:04am

Post #30 of 53 (550 views)
Shortcut
Not the pronunciation [In reply to] Can't Post

So much as mumakil being plural I suspect.

Not that I think we should quash enthusiasm with relatively insignificant details.

LR

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 6:55pm

Post #31 of 53 (455 views)
Shortcut
I did this a while back [In reply to] Can't Post

Using Gimli1252's reference picture post. See the attachment below.
I haven't compared the new Radagast picture though with Gandalf's old staff, but I thought the below picture might be of interest.
Attachments: Gandalf and Radagast Staves.jpg (46.4 KB)

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 7:17pm

Post #32 of 53 (402 views)
Shortcut
They really both seem like the same staff [In reply to] Can't Post

I think any differences in them could be attributed to the simple fact that FOTR was 12 years ago. I for one really hope that there is a moth/radagast connection of some sorts, even if he doesn't necessarily die. His death/transformation could be in DOS. That way, we get to know him in the first film, and his death will be more moving so to speak.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 7:32pm

Post #33 of 53 (448 views)
Shortcut
theres nothing worse than being quashed [In reply to] Can't Post

thats why I avoid crowds. Tongue

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 7:42pm

Post #34 of 53 (373 views)
Shortcut
Moth Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be pretty awesome (though a bit of a giveaway) if the first time we see Radagast we hear that moth theme. I for one would be squealing with excitement.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 7:44pm

Post #35 of 53 (369 views)
Shortcut
I agree jtarkey, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about Radagast's death, but I'm really confused with the Gandalf's/Radagast's staff/staves thing. They look practiacally identical save for the stone (which doesn't bother me cause it could easily be blown out and replaced during the films or be justified by something else) and the shape of the staff. Radagast's staff looks almost as if the filmakers just put a new "twist" on Gandalf's LOTR staff. The reasons I can think of this are listed here:

1. Radagast's staff "evolves" over the course of time like Gandalf's (hobbit) staff was thought to at one time.
2. Radagast and Gandalf's (lotr Gandalf) staves are "twins" (kind of like orcrist and glamdring). Somehow they find the twin of Radagast's staff over the course of the films or Radagast just gives it to Gandalf as a present?
3. I am looking at Gandalf's staff in low quality pictures and I may just not be picking up the same "twists" and "curves" that both staves have.

Anyone else have suggestions? I was absolutely sure that the staves were the same until the new picture came out and people argued it was different.

Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 7:44pm

Post #36 of 53 (361 views)
Shortcut
We're all expecting it ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It wouldn't be a giveaway for the general audience. Wink

I'd be *more* surprised if Radagast lived, and simply walked off into the sunset.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 8:02pm

Post #37 of 53 (395 views)
Shortcut
I've tried to come up with a list of ways for Radagast's character development to reach a climax... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Forsakes his task openly and takes a ship to Valinor(unlikely, Raddy's too well-spoken and unassuming for that)
2. Rhosgobel is destroyed (likely as we see it in the trailer) and Radagast is not there. This would give him a "What happened to that guy?" ending, so unlikely, as PJ is not known for ambiguity or subtlety.
3. Captured (unlikely)

4. Shown as a shape-shifter (Although this causes much discussion on both sides, I'm quite happy to assume that Tolkien meant what he said, i.e. Raddy is a master of shapes and changes of hue. Where did Beorn learn after all? If Raddy was a good enough friend to Beorn then why wouldn't he reveal something? Elrond, Galadriel, Cirdan, Celeborn and Aragorn would have been aware to some extent of Gandalf's heritage and purpose).

5. No explanation (unfinished ending. Possible).

6. Death (I hate to say it and hear the thought going through my own head but dare I say it, and contradict my earlier post...the most likely option). After all, this *is* PJ, is it not?
Either that or he's the moth.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Oct 13 2012, 8:04pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 8:31pm

Post #38 of 53 (346 views)
Shortcut
I either want: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Radagast to die - either fully dead or to transform into the moth. Not fussed which one.
2) Unexplained end - disappears completely, or says he want's nothing more to do with Middle-earth.

I have no preference over both options.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 1:24am

Post #39 of 53 (318 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Also, a single Elf of the Noldorin clan is a Noldo, not a Noldor [In reply to] Can't Post

One individual spirit of the Maiar is a Maia, etc. This gets me every time.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 1:25am

Post #40 of 53 (277 views)
Shortcut
Not everyone does... just, we who do are noisy about it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 7:25am

Post #41 of 53 (256 views)
Shortcut
I think you are putting too much weight [In reply to] Can't Post

on Radagast not being mentioned in LotR. There are a great many people in the world who never get mentioned. That doesn't mean they are dead of inactive.

If the moth is shown to be a messenger of Radagast, rather than Radagast himself, it would show him to be active during the War of the Ring without any need to mention him by name.

Of course, even in the books, we don't know that Radagast wasn't killed by Saruman's minions after Gandalf's escape.

I'm sure Gandalf says that Radagast "used" to live at Rhosgobel at some point. So the destruction of Rhosgobel would fit with the books.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 7:44am

Post #42 of 53 (254 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If the moth is shown to be a messenger of Radagast, rather than Radagast himself, it would show him to be active during the War of the Ring without any need to mention him by name.

This is how I would want it to happen.

Maybe Radagast can "introduce" Gandalf to the moth in The Hobbit movies in such a way as to make clear the LOTR connection. An implication could be that Radagast, aware of Gandalf's meeting with Saruman and realizing that he hasn't come left Isengard for some time, sends the moth to check on him. Gandalf escapes and Saruman possibly gets rid of Radagast.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 14 2012, 8:30am

Post #43 of 53 (261 views)
Shortcut
I'm quietly amused by the idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that 'everybody' thinks any single thought around here! Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 14 2012, 9:29am

Post #44 of 53 (246 views)
Shortcut
Once I get an idea in my head ... I stick with it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2012, 11:06am

Post #45 of 53 (270 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite common in fandoms, and in all societies.

Right now I'm loling at the Naruto fandom. In that series, there is this mysterious villainous character called Tobi who until a few chapters ago always wore a mask to hide his face. The fandom, of course, argued for years about what his real identity is. Some claimed him to be Obito, a previously good character thought to be dead by the other characters, while the rest had other theories.

Now, a few chapters ago Tobi was revealed to really be Obito. Cue to the original Tobi=Obito supporters crying "I told you! I fricking told you! 95 percent of the fandom said I was stupid for thinking Tobi is Obito, but I was right! All these years I was among the few who knew the truth while everyone else said I was stupid!" and rest saying "This is the lamest so-called plot twist ever, everyone knew he was Obito, I saw it coming 6 years ago!"

Fans, never change.

(This post was edited by Faenoriel on Oct 14 2012, 11:07am)

The Preciousss
Bree

Oct 16 2012, 9:48am

Post #46 of 53 (123 views)
Shortcut
There is an easy explanation for Raddys abscence in LOTR: [In reply to] Can't Post

He is not absent, because PJ will film a scene next summer of Gandalf and Raddy meeting which will be included in the Ultimate 3D converted LOTR trilogy...

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 11:13am

Post #47 of 53 (96 views)
Shortcut
He'd have to have some relevance to the story [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise it is an unnecessary addition. I wouldn't want a one off appearance.

The Preciousss
Bree

Oct 16 2012, 4:40pm

Post #48 of 53 (95 views)
Shortcut
Easy one, [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf will retell the story how he was rescued by the eagle and brought to Radagast to discuss Saruamans treason. Maybe later we could get a scene where Radagast is fighting alongside Dain in the North (could be included in the montage when Barad Dur falls, wouldn't it be epic, if they expand the battle at the Black Gate and show the other Battles, e.g. the North, Lothlorien Mirkwood?;))

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 16 2012, 4:43pm

Post #49 of 53 (95 views)
Shortcut
Something like this/these would make for nice DVD extras [In reply to] Can't Post

They would stick out like a sore thumb if they were inserted in the trilogy, but I'd sure love scenes like this to be filmed. Wink

Assuming Radagast lives at the end of TH, a similar version to his FOTR could be used. They'd just have to shuffle where and when they met. Smile

Jettorex
Lorien

Oct 16 2012, 5:20pm

Post #50 of 53 (97 views)
Shortcut
Radagast does not die nor.. [In reply to] Can't Post

....turn into the moth.

He turns into the thrush.

You heard it here first.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.