Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nice Dwarfs!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

R11
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 10:45pm

Post #1 of 27 (2661 views)
Shortcut
Nice Dwarfs! Can't Post

Unfortunately they're not those in The Hobbit Unsure. I got a blu-ray of Snow White and the Huntsman from Netflix this week and took it over to watch at some friends house last night. I had previously only seen a bad composite picture that really didn't do them any justice at all, so when the dwarfs first made their appearance in the movie I just said to my friends, "Wow, now those are some real dwarfs. Why couldn't they have just done something like these for The Hobbit?". They look like actual dwarfs to me and are far, far better than the goofy designs PJ came up with. Even without long beards they looked more like proper Hobbit dwarfs than any of the bizarre, funky, mish-mashed collection of non-dwarfs from Peter. Given some more middle earth centric costuming and some nice ME dwarven type beards this kind of implementation would have been great. It's too bad. Here's a short video about them in the movie that I found this morning:

http://youtu.be/bE4yK2Ze9s8

ron

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 10:50pm

Post #2 of 27 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Can't say I'm a fan. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, they look like Dwarves. They're not Middle-earth Dwarves to me though. Wink

I agree these are plainer looking though - no extreme designs. Perhaps with bigger beards they would fit into my vision of Middle-earth more.

Overall, I probably prefer our Dwarves, than these Dwarves. But that goes without saying. Tongue

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2012, 10:56pm

Post #3 of 27 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Disagree with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

I much prefer how the dwarves look in The Hobbit.

PJ & Co obviously want TH dwarves to be Middle-Earth dwarves, not just short people (like the ones in Huntsman).

(This post was edited by Carne on Oct 13 2012, 10:58pm)

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 11:06pm

Post #4 of 27 (1114 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit dwarves look better. [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly think that the Dwarves in Swath look Plump and not hard and stocky as they should look.Another thing is that the movie tries too hard to be like Pj's Lord of the rings IMO.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Oct 13 2012, 11:11pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2012, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 27 (999 views)
Shortcut
Not quite sure what this means [In reply to] Can't Post

When someone says "actual" or "real" dwarves. Does this refer to real humans with some form of dwarfism? I'm even less sure what "proper Hobbit dwarves" might mean. I suppose I guess that really this means "not as I had previously imagined them"?

LR

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 13 2012, 11:53pm

Post #6 of 27 (1068 views)
Shortcut
You're right...but those are dwarfs, not dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Nice dwarfs!

Whether or not Tolkien's dwarves would have looked like PJ's group, they were meant to be different than previous conceptions of dwarfs, just like Middle-earth's elves were novel at the time. Taller, stronger, and nobler come to mind for me. They shouldn't IMO look like the guys from Snow White or Narnia.

As for the ones we have, there's no getting around the fact that you can't have them all look similar with a visual medium.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 12:25am

Post #7 of 27 (947 views)
Shortcut
I think they look a bit daft [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I agree that there is something slightly more cartoonish about PJ's dwarves.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 14 2012, 12:41am

Post #8 of 27 (924 views)
Shortcut
Decent flick [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoyed this version of Snow White but it was what it was. What we've seen and will see in the hobbit totally trumps this by so much it's really silly to me to say otherwise.

Macfeast
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 1:43am

Post #9 of 27 (870 views)
Shortcut
Certainly, it's probably for the best if our dwarves don't all look too similar. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that what OP, and those disappointed in the dwarven designs, usually ask for, though? I certainly can't say I've seen anyone ask for that, much less the somewhat commonly counter-argued "13 Gimlis" (which I think is a horribly unfair misrepresentation of what is actually being said, to the point of me considering it a strawman).

As for the Snow White dwarfs, I very much like their designs; Though I have not seen the movie, from what I've seen in trailers and the like, they seem to blend into the setting portrayed in the movie very well, not feeling out of place.
Also, I have to ask about Ian McShane; How big was his role in the movie? All I can gather is that he is the leader of the dwarfs, but I can't tell if that means a big role or not. If he had a somewhat big role, then I'd be impressed that they'd give someone of his caliber, and importance, a somewhat unconventional design, being so confident in Ian's abilities to pull it off.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Oct 14 2012, 1:53am)

cameragod
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 2:58am

Post #10 of 27 (872 views)
Shortcut
These are not the Dwarves you are loking for... [In reply to] Can't Post

...move along

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

Apatcha
The Shire

Oct 14 2012, 8:27am

Post #11 of 27 (660 views)
Shortcut
They're not out of place [In reply to] Can't Post

But they just don't spend much time on screen and most of them, expect two or three, don't show anything original and just blend into each other.

Ian McShane is really their leader, therefore he has more lines, but I still wouldn't say he has a big role, the dwarves in this movie seem underutilized and nothing would change, if there was none of them. And the stupidest idea was to have 8 of them in the beginnig, just to add some drama and kill one, so it would fit the original 7.

And they just wouldn't fit into Middle-earth, because they are half the size of Khazād women :D

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

Anya
The Shire

Oct 14 2012, 1:18pm

Post #12 of 27 (581 views)
Shortcut
I prefer PJ's dwarfs for the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

SWH dwarfs were gritty, not fantasy. One dwarf from SWH reminded me of Paul senior from American Chopper. The dwarfs were the highlight, the rest of the movie stunk.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 1:43pm

Post #13 of 27 (596 views)
Shortcut
Snow White and the Huntsman [In reply to] Can't Post

was one of the worst movies of 2012 and the dwarfs were boring as hell. Just tiny people making stupid jokes.

Marionette
Rohan

Oct 14 2012, 4:47pm

Post #14 of 27 (464 views)
Shortcut
Like all of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirrow Mirror, Snow White and the Huntsman and The Hobbit, the dwarves are all different.

The funny thing is that none of the Snow White films has Dopey, and The Hobbit does: Ori looks like the Dopey the Snow White movies don“t have... WHAT AN IRONY

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 14 2012, 5:53pm

Post #15 of 27 (477 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit dwarves as Snow White dwarfs [In reply to] Can't Post

I came up with this list and have been waiting to post it somewhere...here goes:

Doc - Thorin & Balin
Grumpy - Dwalin & Gloin
Sneezy - Oin & Dori
Bashful - Nori & Ori
Happy - Bofur & Fili
Dopey - Bifur & Kili
Sleepy - Bombur

Some comparisons are stronger than others. Thoughts, anyone?

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 14 2012, 9:18pm

Post #16 of 27 (390 views)
Shortcut
really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you sure you haven't seen The Hobbit in advance?

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 15 2012, 1:22am

Post #17 of 27 (329 views)
Shortcut
what are you doing here if you think te hobbt will be bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

let me make it short: THE HOBBIT WILL BE A MASTERPIECE!!!

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Oct 15 2012, 3:14am

Post #18 of 27 (309 views)
Shortcut
Everyone deserves to be here [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter if they are optimistic, pessimistic, or both!

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 15 2012, 4:42am

Post #19 of 27 (327 views)
Shortcut
When it comes to Dwarfs... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite kind are Killer Dwarfs.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2012, 7:17am

Post #20 of 27 (277 views)
Shortcut
Not NARFs though ;-P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2012, 12:12pm

Post #21 of 27 (238 views)
Shortcut
Everyone is welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's against out Terms of Service to make anyone feel unwelcome. So let's not question each other's motives and enjoy these last days and weeks before the first movie is released!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2012, 12:52pm

Post #22 of 27 (252 views)
Shortcut
Don't like Show White dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

They look like little humans, not like their own race. Hence why i prefer the more extreme designs of Hobbit (and why i don't like Kili).

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 15 2012, 3:45pm

Post #23 of 27 (252 views)
Shortcut
not too keen on these dwarves. [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the Hobbit dwarves really. These just look more like Robin Hoods men.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 15 2012, 9:48pm

Post #24 of 27 (185 views)
Shortcut
Mirror, mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

I've no doubt that The Hobbit will be a masterpiece, at least when comparing it with Snow White - even though those dwarves had better one-liners than the "you got to be joking" type of lines - , but I was disappointed by the disdain with which you treated the film.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Oct 16 2012, 10:12am

Post #25 of 27 (139 views)
Shortcut
but the movie doesn't deserve anything else than disdain [In reply to] Can't Post

, because basically, the whole movie stole details and story arcs by other movies, for example "Princess Mononoke". The scene with the white stag was simply stolen and the film had nothing of it's own. Kristen Stewart was really bad (and I'm not a hater) and I was just sitting there being bored and disappointed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.