Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Shore Leave:
Who here buys eBooks?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 13 2012, 5:56pm

Post #1 of 31 (566 views)
Shortcut
Who here buys eBooks? Can't Post

I'm curious to find out who here purchases eBooks for a few reasons. Do you prefer the feel of the paper between your fingers or do you like the convenience and ease of downloading your favorite titles, storing them, and being able to take them wherever you go? Do you buy indie titles or are you hesitant to purchase something which hasn't been through a litany of editors? Which eReader do you prefer, if any?

Elizabeth
Quartermaster

Oct 13 2012, 6:24pm

Post #2 of 31 (202 views)
Shortcut
I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to LotR, TH, and UT, I have on my Kindle Fire the complete Sir Walter Scott, complete Rudyard Kipling, complete P. G. Wodehouse, complete A. C. Doyle, and complete Jane Austin. Each of those cost $1.99 or $2.99, as they are in the public domain. I have several other public domain books, including a large collection of Icelandic eddas.

I also have a few other books, including one on Scandinavian folklore, a couple of Simon Tolkien's mysteries, and some others.

So, the big advantage to me is being able to have these huge collections for practically no money and in portable form. Also, if I'm wakeful in the middle of the night I can read without turning on the light and bothering my husband.

My husband also has a Kindle, but loves paper books more.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Carne
Sailing Master

Oct 13 2012, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 31 (187 views)
Shortcut
I prefer paper between my fingers [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing against the technology, I just don't like reading books that way.

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 13 2012, 6:55pm

Post #4 of 31 (205 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the real thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing like opening up a fresh new book, and having it between your fingers.

Though, the more your read the book, the more it wears down. I have multiple copies of Tolkien's books. But I'll read the same book over and over again. Now they're worn ... I like to say well loved.

You don't get that problem with eBooks!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Quartermaster

Oct 13 2012, 7:23pm

Post #5 of 31 (212 views)
Shortcut
Paper books [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the feel of a book, of turning pages. I love their smell as well.

Plus, I just don't like reading a lot from a screen. Nope, no thanks!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gunner

Oct 13 2012, 8:39pm

Post #6 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
Hard copies are my cup of tea [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not up to date with technology (which is good because I'd never be able to keep up with all the latest gadgets), and with books nothing will ever beat the old fashioned way. The pleasure of sitting with a new book in front of you and turning the pages is so much more engaging (if only because turning the pages keeps you focused, as oppose to scrolling down on a touch-screen). That's what it's all about: if a book is incredibly good (no idea why Lord of the Rings comes to mind) you can't turn the page quick enough, whilst a bad book will leave you feeling exhausted of constantly turning the cumbersome, heavy pages (not literally, of course, but hopefully you get what I'm getting at).

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

PattyJB
Cabin Boy

Oct 13 2012, 9:49pm

Post #7 of 31 (176 views)
Shortcut
We have books in many formats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Each person in my family reads avidly and we have many, many hundreds of books, acquired over the years. My husband has a degree in Library Science and we have both worked in libraries over the years, although not recently. We love books and treasure them. That said, we have found e-books are yet another wonderful medium in which to read. We first considered them when my nephew was first deployed to Afghanistan and took a Nook with him there. He enjoyed having it so much and it held up very well. We researched what was available and went with Amazon's Kindle. The display was one of our decision criteria and the e-paper used for the Kindle is perfect. It really is nothing like reading from a computer of any kind and is very easy on the eyes.

Using the Kindle is wonderful. We (my husband, son, and I) each got one for Christmas and love them. We read a LOT and the Kindle is great for selection, ease of use, portability, and wonderful readability. Just the other night, my husband was commenting how nice it was to be able to bump up the font size with the touch of a button. There are a large number of free editions of e-books out there and you can also check e-books out from our local library. As far as buying e-books, we share a Kindle account, so any of us can read anything the others buy. The Kindle editions are great. The types of books that do not do well in e-editions are those like graphic novels, which are so heavily dependent on the graphics component, and poetry, where layout is important. E-books do best with straight text or straight pictures, and not with combinations of the two on the same page.

Another thing we like about e-books is that they do not get dusty or mildew and are not printed on cheap paper that breaks down over time. My husband and I are both in our 60's and after 30-40 years, many of our older trade paperbacks are really not readable anymore, in that they will precipitate an asthma attack. My son lives in Minneapolis and does not have a car. He uses the fantastic public transit there and reads his Kindle constantly.

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 13 2012, 10:15pm

Post #8 of 31 (180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm grateful for everyone's responses. Keep them coming!

I'm trying to gauge the readership here because this will more than likely be one of the places I decide to market (shamelessly self-promote) my book that I'm currently contemplating self-publishing. It is, after all, inspired by Tolkien's work. Then again, which fantasy nowadays isn't?

Thanks again!

Magpie
Captain

Oct 14 2012, 1:05am

Post #9 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
there's been a couple of threads discussing eBooks in the past [In reply to] Can't Post

You might try doing some searches (points to 'Search Posts' button just above) to find some.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Captain

Oct 14 2012, 1:07am

Post #10 of 31 (159 views)
Shortcut
tell your son... [In reply to] Can't Post

to wave hi in my direction when he passes the 38th Street light rail station. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

zarabia
Boatswain

Oct 14 2012, 2:22am

Post #11 of 31 (159 views)
Shortcut
I mostly download free books [In reply to] Can't Post

I like ebooks, but I would hate for bookstores to go the way of record/cd stores. I love wandering around a bookstore, picking up books and flipping through the pages. Amazon lets you look at the first few pages which is nice, but it's not the same. I'm really picky about writing style, and I want to read more than the first few pages before I pay good money. And for your purposes, I'd say I'm far more likely to buy something unfamiliar if I run across it in an actual store. If I buy a book on-line, it's one I intended to buy; I don't browse for books on-line the way I sometimes browse for music on iTunes.

As for the experience of a physical book vs an ebook: it's six of one, half a dozen of the other Smile

PattyJB
Cabin Boy

Oct 14 2012, 2:52am

Post #12 of 31 (138 views)
Shortcut
He loves the light rail [In reply to] Can't Post

and says it is the closest to traveling by transporter, a la Star Trek, that he's ever likely to experience. Just about instantaneous.

guitarzankansasfan
Able Seaman

Oct 14 2012, 5:14am

Post #13 of 31 (161 views)
Shortcut
E books are great for self-publishing [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother is publishing his third novel as an E-book serial. I don't know how many he's sold so far, but it sure is cheaper to publish an E-book than the regular thing.

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 14 2012, 7:02am

Post #14 of 31 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they are cheap... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I'm also contemplating using a POD service like Createspace as well.

Aragorn'sSexyScar
Rigger

Oct 14 2012, 7:42pm

Post #15 of 31 (136 views)
Shortcut
I worry about the authors [In reply to] Can't Post

If authors start to see a reduction in royalties from the books they sell electronically then many of them will be forced to quit writing.

Rob Thurman, author of the Cal Leandros series, has to write a new novel every four months, I believe, just to be able to continue full time writing.

I would rather support book stores by browsing through them.I'd hate to see book stores disappear entirely.

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 14 2012, 8:34pm

Post #16 of 31 (120 views)
Shortcut
It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are varying points that you have to take into account. With traditional publishing you have to give your agent 10-20% of your advance (and for a new author that's a pretty low advance statistically) and its paid out
around every six months. Royalties on a traditionally published book are also far lower. Around 20-30% per book sold. That is negotiable depending on the author's pedigree of course. Also, marketing matters. If the publisher does a crappy job marketing then that's less books in the hands of readers.

Now, on the eBook platform, depending on your price, you can earn 70-75% royalties on each book sold. You don't have to pay an agent, a team of editors, marketers, type-setters, and the printing company. What you do have to worry about is paying out of pocket for an editor, you have to format the document on your own and you have to do your own marketing. So there's a tradeoff between the two venues.

The distinct artistic advantage still resides in the eBook, or self-publishing world. Could you imagine the uphill battle Tolkien would be fighting if he tried to publish LOTR today? No publisher would touch it.

Heck I'm even fighting an uphill battle simply because the first character that's introduced is the villain.

Donry
Sailing Master

Oct 15 2012, 2:30am

Post #17 of 31 (162 views)
Shortcut
I use both paper and Ebooks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those books I absolutely love, have to have and cherish I buy the paperback or hardcover. If its a book that I just want to read I will use the Ebook version.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

www.onesecondleft.com
@RDon1secleft
http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

ShyElf
Able Seaman

Oct 15 2012, 3:06am

Post #18 of 31 (120 views)
Shortcut
I like both [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I never thought I'd like eBooks. But Mr. ShyElf got a Kindle for Christmas last year - he promptly gave it to me since I am in the unfortunate position of having to spend a lot of time in doctor's waiting rooms. It turns out that I have grown to love *my* Kindle. It fits in my purse, so I've always got a book to read when I'm stuck waiting.

ShyElf The Younger doesn't like the idea of an eBook. One night I was settling down to read before going to sleep and discovered I needed to charge my Kindle and I heard from her bedroom - "that would never happen with a 'real' book"! Tongue

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Annael
First Mate

Oct 15 2012, 4:44am

Post #19 of 31 (121 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love books as objects in themselves. Computer screens . . . not so much.

Plus, I have a partially eidetic memory, meaning I can usually remember pretty much where in a book I read a particular passage. I rely on this a lot. It only works with hard copy.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

sherlock
Gunner

Oct 15 2012, 10:14am

Post #20 of 31 (129 views)
Shortcut
I do both [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the feel & smell of books but also enjoy reading on my iPad. I like being able to look up words & change the font size. I thought I'd take the iPad every where & always have something to read with me but I use paperback books for places like the pool or beach. Can't risk getting the precious scratched or dirty!

Loresilme
Quartermaster

Oct 15 2012, 3:51pm

Post #21 of 31 (145 views)
Shortcut
I like browsing in libraries and book stores [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not averse to buying eBooks. And so far it's turning out to be a great way to open up opportunities to new authors.

Aunt Dora Baggins
First Mate

Oct 15 2012, 5:21pm

Post #22 of 31 (109 views)
Shortcut
I do, for a reason that surprised me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know when I bought my Kindle that it would read text out loud. I commute an hour each day, and it's been great being able to "read" on the road.

I love real books, and have way too many in my house (several thousand). But I like having all those old classics in my Kindle too, for traveling and commuting and drifting off to sleep at night listening to a story.

If I buy a Kindle book and find that I really love it, then I buy a hard copy too. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
First Mate

Oct 15 2012, 5:26pm

Post #23 of 31 (112 views)
Shortcut
I sell 2-3 copies of my e-books a month [In reply to] Can't Post

not enough to quit my day job (which I love anyway) but it's nice to know someone is reading them.

Be a little careful with the shameless self-promotion on TORn, though. It's against The Rules, though sometimes an "I finished my book!" is welcome in the Friday Fiesta thread. I got chastised by Xoanon back in the First Age for just announcing that I had a website where I was putting up my poetry for free. He said "If you want to advertise on TORn, you have to pay for advertising space." Just a heads up.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 15 2012, 5:58pm

Post #24 of 31 (96 views)
Shortcut
Thanks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the heads up!

T_Meyers
Powder Monkey

Oct 15 2012, 8:11pm

Post #25 of 31 (89 views)
Shortcut
Upon investigation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I found that rule #4 states that you cannot "link" or attach a "banner" that leads to other sites, but general discussion is allowed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.