First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 12 2012, 12:51pm

Post #26 of 42 (488 views)
Shortcut
The mountains are alive [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many references to living mountains in LotR. Just look at Caradhras

"‘Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name, said Gimli, `long years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.’"

"‘Caradhras has not forgiven us.’ he said. ‘He has more snow yet to fling at us, if we go on. The sooner we go back and down the better.’"

"‘Ah, it is as I said,’ growled Gimli. ‘It was no ordinary storm. It is the ill will of Caradhras. He does not love Elves and Dwarves, and that drift was laid to cut off our escape.’"

"And indeed with that last stroke the malice of the mountain seemed to be expended, as if Caradhras was satisfied that the invaders had been beaten off and would not dare to return. The threat of snow lifted; the clouds began to break and the light grew broader."

Peter Jackson also mentions in the commentary that when Saruman's voice can be heard, he is in fact waking up the mountain, rather than directly causing the avalanche.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 1:05pm

Post #27 of 42 (445 views)
Shortcut
Metaphorical or literal? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 1:05pm

Post #28 of 42 (455 views)
Shortcut
Surprised? [In reply to] Can't Post

You think PJ can resist creating monsters in this movie?
Especially now when he has three films to tell the tale?

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 1:09pm

Post #29 of 42 (462 views)
Shortcut
It's such a tiny detail that I just expected it to be missed off. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad they didn't, of course. I love the little details.

Smile

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 1:50pm

Post #30 of 42 (445 views)
Shortcut
Think about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Stone Giants are in! They only get one reference Smile
I think our chances for getting the purse got slightly higher with the confirmation about the Stone Giants Wink

There's still hope!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Oct 12 2012, 1:50pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 12 2012, 1:58pm

Post #31 of 42 (423 views)
Shortcut
I live in hope! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 12 2012, 5:27pm

Post #32 of 42 (412 views)
Shortcut
Mostly agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the fear that they will be picked up does suggest a little more danger to them than to the tree next to them (I.e. it isn't quite as indiscriminate as a storm).

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 13 2012, 4:57am

Post #33 of 42 (376 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

Soo many things would have been different. lol. Seems like the less book time you get (cough, Lindir), the more likely you are to end up in the films. Lol. Ass backwards, but I am glad the giants made it, at least for now. lol

In Reply To
One reference, and they're in!

Why couldn't PJ do that for the LOTR trilogy? Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Oct 13 2012, 4:58am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Oct 13 2012, 12:49pm

Post #34 of 42 (360 views)
Shortcut
I think Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

added the Stone Giants as just an extra motive for them all to gain shelter from the storm, just one more reason why they were all persuaded to take shelter in that cave. If there had not been imminent danger of being crushed by flying bits of mountain, they may have gone on through the night instead of stopping.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 2:03pm

Post #35 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
That's assuming one thinks of them as a literal threat [In reply to] Can't Post

If one thinks of the Stone Giants as metaphorical, then they are already part of the storm. If they're literal, then they're an additional threat. Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Oct 13 2012, 2:09pm

Post #36 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
The chance of something being included [In reply to] Can't Post

has nothing to do with the number of words devoted to it, and everything to do with how well it serves the movie.

Thus, the stone giants are included because they increase the peril in an action sequence, not because they are essential to the story.

The decision to include or not include the purse will be made on the same basis. In this case, the purse would increase the comedy rating of the scene. My feeling is it won't make it into that scene, because PJ will want to crank up the tension, not lessen it. It might turn up elsewhere in the story though.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 3:07pm

Post #37 of 42 (422 views)
Shortcut
Repeated mentions of the stone-giants... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If one thinks of the Stone Giants as metaphorical, then they are already part of the storm. If they're literal, then they're an additional threat. Wink

...first to the Great Goblin and later in reference to sealing up the cavern in the pass eliminate the notion that they were meant to be metaphorical in nature.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2012, 3:33pm

Post #38 of 42 (340 views)
Shortcut
Whilst I agree with the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if there is a textual difference here which might be causing some confusion.
In my text, the stone giants are mentioned to Beorn but not to the Great Goblin and when Gandalf refers to blocking up the cavern he simply uses the term "giant" not "stone-giant"

Not sure on the discrepancies

LR

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 3:45pm

Post #39 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
I probably did mean Beorn rather than the Great Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

It might not be a textual discrepency as much as myself relying too much on faulty memory. Upon reviewing my copy of The Hobbit I see that you are correct and the stone-giants are not mentioned in the encounter with the Great Goblin.

As no other giants are mentioned in reference to the Misty Mountains, it seems safe to assume that Gandalf was speaking of the stone-giants when he was contemplating sealing the cave entrance in the pass.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2012, 3:57pm

Post #40 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
Just for interest [In reply to] Can't Post

And not being nit-picky, but giants get mentioned a few times outside of the stone-giants.

Bilbo thinks about all the names of giants and ogres he had ever heard told of in tales whilst trying to guess a riddle, and in the Shire mentions that Gandalf is famous for his stories of dragons and goblins and giants.

Also, Beorn is said to be descended from an ancient bear who lived in the mountains before the giants came there.

So I'm not sure we can really know what Gandalf meant. It might well be a stone-giant but equally he might have been speaking of some other type (since there seems at least to be some distinction).

LR

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 4:02pm

Post #41 of 42 (347 views)
Shortcut
The stone-giants may be the ones who displaced the moutain bears... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and who is to say that some of them had not become famous/infamous? Still, you do make your point that some other types of giants can't be ruled out (including tree-men?).

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 13 2012, 4:25pm

Post #42 of 42 (545 views)
Shortcut
I always read them as literal beings. / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.